Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Karma - Fake or Real?

Announcements Posted on
Post on TSR and win a prize! Find out more... 10-04-2014
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by whattheheck)
    In the sense that it will eventually catch up with them at some point in their lifetime.
    Or just plant a right hook into their jaw and shout "There is your f*cking karma!!"
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    Or just plant a right hook into their jaw and shout "There is your f*cking karma!!"
    Yeah!

I'd be doing a serious amount of punching though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Is not real. Also where is the poll?
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Real. But I think it's more in relation to how you live your own life instead of bad things happening to others to 'pay them back'. I think that if you do something nice for someone, then something nice will happen to you because you put someone's happiness ahead of yourself. Same if you do something mean to someone, you'll experience bad luck. I think it's a good moral to teach children.

In reality, it's probably just that we all share similar beliefs and so if you do something nice for someone, they'll want to repay your kindness with a kindness of their own because they believe in 'karma'. As for the negatives, I think if you've recognised that what you've done was mean, then if something bad happens you're more likely to notice it due to the fact that you're probably expecting it due to 'karma'.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    To me its real, i treated a guy horribly who really liked me and 2 years later the same thing happened to me with someone else.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    "You know the kind of guy who does nothing but bad things and then wonders why his life sucks...?"
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe in karma. Everything we do has a effect on another and if that effect is detrimental to that individual then the universe will make us pay!

Edit; yes, the notion of karma also makes me feel better about all the dickheads who get away with acting like a-holes.
    the swear-filter allows this? wow
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    The ontological fairy dust karma is bull****, but clearly this idea has some merit insofar as people react badly to bad actions, and react in kindness to kind actions. People remember bad stuff and get you back for it. No need for any sort of religious attachment.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by black_mage)
    To me its real, i treated a guy horribly who really liked me and 2 years later the same thing happened to me with someone else.
    As fitting as it that you got what you deserved, karma does not exist.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Fake. At least in so far as that there is some magical computer correctly apportioning good and bad luck to people.
    I think that if you do nice things then you'll be a happier person. If you do bad things they'll come back to you at some point and you'll be unhappy. There's no magic in that.

The whole 'the people who bullied me are going to get hit by karma someday' is a load of crap IMO, just move on.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Karma is real depending on your experiences. Ie to me it is, to you it might not be.... it's all down to your experiences
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    I hope to God it's real. There's a lot of people that made me suffer who I would love to suffer as much as I did. The sooner karma bites them in the ass, the better. I'm not bitter at all, honest!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCaledonian)
    the swear-filter allows this? wow
    I apologise if you are offended. I will edit the post. Can you please do the same from your quote?
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well no one can really say if a cosmic force is actually real or not, however I do believe in it, and I think that if you treat people badly, naturally this'll come around to bite you on the bottom! That's the definition of karma I suppose.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    People want it to be real.

Edit: One should be rewarded/punished in perfect accordance to their deeds, but that won't always be true. If you do something bad and something bad happens in return, then alright, you deserved it. But you can do bad things and go on to live a happy life. Just the truth.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Depends on how deep it goes.

If someone has a bad life anyway but is a nice person then may do something say cheat the benefits system to get some extra cash, they have done something wrong but only as there was a reason but that becomes a endless loop since they havent got the opportunity to make amends nor get out of said loop.

In that sense they cant win but following the rules of karma.

If it is more basic it doesnt explain why bad things happen to good people.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    Karma is not some cosmic balancing force which will even out the nasty and nice in the universe. If you kick a dog, you do not get kicked back by the celestial accountant. But then this has never, ever been what Karma is portrayed as, it's a misunderstanding.

The concept of Karma which seems to have permeated the western mentality isn't accurate. Karma is simply the balance of your good and bad deeds weighed up at the end of your life. That's it, nothing dynamic, nothing reactive, merely a totting up of your life's actions at the time of your death.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's absolute rubbish. As all faiths, it only feels real to those who believe in it.
    No need to ascribe fortune and misfortune to some supernatural fiction.

It only gives consolation to the weak and unfortunate. Nothing to do with reality though.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DaveSteed24)
    Well no one can really say if a cosmic force is actually real or not, however I do believe in it, and I think that if you treat people badly, naturally this'll come around to bite you on the bottom! That's the definition of karma I suppose.
    This is a western view of karma i.e what goes areound comes around. Karma in the true meaning of the word as dictated by the indian/east asian religions is a lot different.

And no there is no "cosmic force" controlling our destiny. If you decide to make an act of good or bad, it is purely your decision. If someone decides to reward or punish you for good and bad acts then that is purely their decision. If someone lives a bad life and dies of cancer, then that is pure coincidence probably dictated by that persons choice i.e lung cancer from smoking. If a good person dies of the same cancer again this is not predetermined either. This is just the effect of a possible life style choice of smoking or it was passed down through genetics. Karma or cosmic destiny I'm afraid isn't real.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    I believe in karma. Everything we do has a effect on another and if that effect is detrimental to that individual then the universe will make us pay!

Edit; yes, the notion of karma also makes me feel better about all the people who get away with acting like a-holes.
    Yeah, what goes around does come around.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?

this is what you'll be called on TSR

2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?

never shared and never spammed

3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By completing the slider below you agree to The Student Room's terms & conditions and site rules

2. Slide the button to the right to create your account

Slide to join now Processing…

You don't slide that way? No problem.

Updated: August 3, 2011
Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.