The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Wright Robinson hall 2011/2012

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by purplebutterfly
Maybe they put the doors in so that people can slam them dramatically. (ie: bathroom 1 is out of toilet paper; person from room 1 sneaks into bathroom 2; person from room 9 catches person from room 1; LET THE BATTLE BEGIN) :P

I'm not sure about the toilet paper, but i augur great battles for the fridge :colone: (i know i'm too repetitive with that, but you'll understand when you arrive...)

Out of interest, where else in the country (or the world!) are you guys moving to Manchester from?

As you can guess, from Spain (Andalucía :smile:)
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 81
Original post by -Nizz-
WOO :smile:.
Cool! :biggrin: I'll be studying Neuroscience :smile:.

Just curious, is Neuroscience a "normal" career here? or is it a kind of PG? cause it sounds soo interesting!!
Reply 82
wow purplebutterly you are so incredibly organised hahaa! I'm doing a uni shop today so i'll let you know what goodies I buy for floor 11 :P getting more and more excited by the day :biggrin: except it's quite a distance from home ....I'm from South Wales, about 30 mins from Cardiff if anyone wanted to know :smile: see you all soon though :smile:
-Nizz-
I'll be moving from Wakefield, West Yorkshire

Mwahahahahaha, I'm gonna bug you to teach me how to do a Yorkshire accent! >: D
Gambu15
I'm not sure about the toilet paper, but i augur great battles for the fridge :colone: (i know i'm too repetitive with that, but you'll understand when you arrive...)

:O (Also, dammit; I had something I wanted to ask you, but I can't remember what it was. Bah.)
As you can guess, from Spain (Andalucía :smile:)

I did indeed have my suspicions (;P), but wow, you're so brave to come and study in another country! :biggrin: How're things going so far?
lucie5
wow purplebutterly you are so incredibly organised hahaa! I'm doing a uni shop today so i'll let you know what goodies I buy for floor 11 :P getting more and more excited by the day :biggrin: except it's quite a distance from home ....I'm from South Wales, about 30 mins from Cardiff if anyone wanted to know :smile: see you all soon though :smile:

LOL, that's possibly the first time anyone has ever called me organised. XD I think it's just the effect of TSR; I thought I had ages to get things ready, and then there were all these posts on other threads from people who'd done all their packing in January or 1930 or whatever, and it made me paranoid. :P I'm normally pretty laid-back... Ah well. But yeah, let us know what you buy! :biggrin:

Also, cool, I've seen quite a lot of North Wales, but not the South, unfortunately. :frown: Have a friend who's going to Cardiff Uni, and I think I have some distantish family in South Wales, but s'not the same... :P But if South Wales is anything like North Wales, then you'll never feel homesick, because it rains all the time here too. :P But hey, floods are rare!
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by TanyaW_ox
I'm studying English Language too!! Finally found someone else doing my course lol I'm on the floor below you though :smile:

aw yayyy! we can help each other find lectures and stuff haha :smile: hope its not too hard! lol
Original post by -Nizz-
WOO :smile:.
Cool! :biggrin: I'll be studying Neuroscience :smile:.
Yeah I need my dad's van to bring stuff up (not that there's a lot, just the car is too small) and my mother wouldn't be trusted to find her way to Manchester without getting lost :biggrin:.
I'll be moving from Wakefield, West Yorkshire, which is right next to Leeds :smile:. There's nothing really interesting here. What about you? :smile:

I'm not sure what to do about this 'Welcome Week' business :/ I want to go out and do things but I haven't got much money :biggrin:. I guess I'll have to see when I arrive :smile:.

ooh sounds hard! lol
haha yeah, im using my mums people carrier! i think i will end up bringing loaaaaaads lol, wont be able to choose what clothes to bring and that lol
i'm from worksop, dont know if you've heard of it? its kind of near sheffield, so not too far away from you! what you on about, leeds is right good! you have leeds fest and everything haha
i know same, i will just end up spending money i dont really have lol, gotta go out in freshers week! :biggrin: x
Reply 86
Original post by Gambu15
Just curious, is Neuroscience a "normal" career here? or is it a kind of PG? cause it sounds soo interesting!!

I don't quite understand sorry :s-smilie:. My plan is to study it, as it's been a desire since I was about 11 years old :P, and then hopefully find a career out of it.

Oooh, you're from Spain?! That's so cool! :biggrin: Spanish/Castillian (I can't spell it) is such a beautiful language, I kinda wish I'd carried on studying it after GCSEs :/.

Mwahahahahaha, I'm gonna bug you to teach me how to do a Yorkshire accent! >: D

I'm afraid I don't have much of a Yorkshire accent really :P according to people at least. Although a guy I met at Glastonbury guessed from my accent that I was from the Leeds(y) area o_O. I guess I could try and learn one in my last few weeks of living in Yorkshire :P.

Original post by kierasolaiman
ooh sounds hard! lol
haha yeah, im using my mums people carrier! i think i will end up bringing loaaaaaads lol, wont be able to choose what clothes to bring and that lol
i'm from worksop, dont know if you've heard of it? its kind of near sheffield, so not too far away from you! what you on about, leeds is right good! you have leeds fest and everything haha
i know same, i will just end up spending money i dont really have lol, gotta go out in freshers week! :biggrin: x

I've not heard of Worksop, but no Sheffield is not far away from here :biggrin: Yorkshire ftw! :P
Leeds is good yes :biggrin: Wakefield really isn't :P. But Wakey is better than Castleford and Pontefract :P there's nothing really there xD. I've recently been going on a few nights out in Leeds, which have been very good :biggrin:. I suspect Manchester would be very good as well :biggrin:.
Aye I went to Leeds Fest 2010 :smile: Guns N' Roses ftw! xD I didn't think much of this year's line-up though.
Gotta get down on Fresher's Week :smile:.
Original post by Gambu15
Hi everybody! I'm already here!
As you said, letters are for floors (C is the reception, D first floor...an so on). Each floor has a corridor separeted into two parts: in the first one is the kitchen (with 2 fridges, 3 freezers, 2 owens and 16 cooking rings -they could change some of them for a freezer xD-), a bathroom (with 3 showers, 2 toilets and a sink) and rooms 1, 2, 3, 4, 15, 14, 13 and 12. Then there's a door (¿?) and in the second part are rooms 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 and 11 and another bathroom.
So i'll stay in the same "corridor" than missevangeline and she'll stay next to VeniceLF but separated by a nonsense door. (I thought one "corridor" was for girls and the next one for boys, but it seems floors are single-sex, then? :curious:)

It's very near the centre (actually everiything is very close here) but the zone seems a bit lonely, specially during evenings. I hope it changes when you all are here! :wink:

Any question, ask me :cool:
See you soon!

Hi! Thanks for the info, it was really helpful! So I presume there are 6 showers, 4 toilets and 2 sinks altogether right... How are the bathrooms laid out? As in behind one door is a shower and toilet, and same in another. Then another for just a shower? And do they have cleaners everyday? Sorry about the million questions... It's just that there aren't many photos on the internet and I'm just really scared about sharing a bathroom now :/ LOL
Original post by -Nizz-

I'm afraid I don't have much of a Yorkshire accent really :P according to people at least. Although a guy I met at Glastonbury guessed from my accent that I was from the Leeds(y) area o_O. I guess I could try and learn one in my last few weeks of living in Yorkshire :P.

Darrrrrrn. :P Lol, go for it! xD
Reply 89

I did indeed have my suspicions (;P), but wow, you're so brave to come and study in another country! :biggrin: How're things going so far?

Well, no that brave...I'm just in exchange for one year. I havent really done many things so far...=P. But except for the weather (and the strange people coming to the floor, please come soon!:afraid:), it seems i'm going to have a great year here! =P

Original post by Krishna_Patel93
Hi! Thanks for the info, it was really helpful! So I presume there are 6 showers, 4 toilets and 2 sinks altogether right... How are the bathrooms laid out? As in behind one door is a shower and toilet, and same in another. Then another for just a shower? And do they have cleaners everyday? Sorry about the million questions... It's just that there aren't many photos on the internet and I'm just really scared about sharing a bathroom now :/ LOL

No worries! :smile:
I think in the 2nd bathroom there are just 2 showers. Each toilet/ shower has it own door,
And no, they don't have cleaners every day. Actually i'm not sure they even clean one a week! (For example, when i arrived there was a dead bee in the kitchen, i left it there just to check whether they cleaned or not...and it's still there. And last night i had a fight -that i lost- with a spider that had a net next to the basin in the bathroom!)
Reply 90
(But don't worry!! is not that bad, i'm just too negative =P)
Reply 91
D; I dislike uncleanliness (who likes it?) unless at a festival. Perhaps cleaners will arrive as of the 15th of September? I think I'll be bringing Cif anyway xD I enjoy cleaning :P if I have the spare time to.

I took a visit to Manchesthair (that's its real name! :wink: ) just yesterday to have a look around (again) and go job hunting. The area around Wright Robinson and Oxford Street/Road I probably know quite well know, due to wandering up and down many-a-time xD!
A slight precaution should be taken with a few of the surrounding bars, as some look a bit seedy/dodgey. But it seems alright once you're on Oxford Street and Whitworth Street.
Yeah, hopefully they're just waiting for all the students to arrive before the cleaners start. Hopefully. :P

Yeah, as a general rule, Oxford Road/Street (in my head, the whole thing's Oxford Road xD) is alright because there are so many students, but the area around Piccadilly station's dodgy after dark; although our accommodation's convenient, the downside (or upside, depending on your tastes) is that we're near the red light district. I daresay they'll talk to us more about safety etc when we get there, but as a general rule, don't wander around on your own at night. :P (I doubt I need to say that, but hey.) And yeah, if you're referring to the bars around the Gay Village, I gather they've had a lot of problems with crime recently, so makes sense to be cautious round there. :s-smilie: But personally, I always feel safe when I'm walking around the city centre, which is more than can be said for Victoria Park (that place creeps me out, seriously). Aaand then some places can look pretty seedy from the outside (Afflecks Palace, lol) but they're safe on the inside...
Yeah, as a general rule, Oxford Road/Street (in my head, the whole thing's Oxford Road xD) is alright because there are so many students, but the area around Piccadilly station's dodgy after dark; although our accommodation's convenient, the downside (or upside, depending on your tastes) is that we're near the red light district. I daresay they'll talk to us more about safety etc when we get there, but as a general rule, don't wander around on your own at night. :P (I doubt I need to say that, but hey.) And yeah, if you're referring to the bars around the Gay Village, I gather they've had a lot of problems with crime recently, so makes sense to be cautious round there. :s-smilie: But personally, I always feel safe when I'm walking around the city centre, which is more than can be said for Victoria Park (that place creeps me out, seriously). Aaand then some places can look pretty seedy from the outside (Afflecks Palace, lol) but they're safe on the inside...

Omdzz :eek: We're near the red light district!??
Reply 94
Staying in 07.K.13, should be fun!
anyone know if theres a fb group at all for people for WR?
Original post by samcrez
Staying in 07.K.13, should be fun!
anyone know if theres a fb group at all for people for WR?

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Wright-Robinson-2011-2012/113551872078207?ref=ts#!/pages/Wright-Robinson-2011-2012/113551872078207 there's that but nothing's acctually happened on it i haven't found anything else
Original post by K.ChosenOne
Omdzz :eek: We're near the red light district!??

Well, the area around the station (generally places just to the North and East; Fairfield Street is notorious), is known for attracting prostitutes, and then the same goes for the Gay Village (to our North West), so we're quite near two... but it's really not that big a deal, because if you ask someone where the red light district in Manchester is, you'll get about ten conflicting replies. And Whalley Range, for example, is meant to be notorious as a red light district, but I went to school in the area and never had any problems. Welp, there was a guy who drove around calling out to girls saying he was running a 'modelling agency', and then some other guy on a bike once tried to kerb-crawl my friends, but I think that has less to do with the area and more to do with individual idiocy. The thing we'll have to be most careful about is thieves, cuz they're madly in love with students... and schoolkids... and grandmothers... :P
Reply 97
I've heard of Canal Street, but not Gay Village? o_O
(Despite being straight I enjoy going into gay bars and nightclubs, at least in Wakefield, as they're good fun and often have a great atmosphere! So I'm looking forward to checking out Canal Street. In fact in was Manchester Pride on the Monday just gone I do believe?).

I have a query regarding practice of musical instruments: I play a few instruments, not to a great standard but I'm alright, and I was hoping to bring one or two along with me to keep up the practice. Is anyone else planning on doing the same? I've read someone staying in this halls is going to be studying music. I just don't want to get on anyone's nerves if I practice sometimes.
Original post by -Nizz-
I've heard of Canal Street, but not Gay Village? o_O
(Despite being straight I enjoy going into gay bars and nightclubs, at least in Wakefield, as they're good fun and often have a great atmosphere! So I'm looking forward to checking out Canal Street. In fact in was Manchester Pride on the Monday just gone I do believe?).

I have a query regarding practice of musical instruments: I play a few instruments, not to a great standard but I'm alright, and I was hoping to bring one or two along with me to keep up the practice. Is anyone else planning on doing the same? I've read someone staying in this halls is going to be studying music. I just don't want to get on anyone's nerves if I practice sometimes.

The whole area of clubs and bars etc around Canal Street is known as the Gay Village, although I don't know the exact boundaries. I think people use the terms 'Canal Street' and 'Gay Village' interchangeably, though. Ha, I didn't know it was Manchester Pride on Monday, but you're right. xD I fail.

I'm several floors up from you, so I don't suppose my opinion matters much regarding instruments, but for what it's worth, I'd be fine with it. :P Mainly cuz my best friends did music to A-Level, so I've developed an immunity. Actually, I'm planning to bring my own kiddy keyboard (http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/29322-casio-sa-75-keyboard-for-children-large.jpg AHAHAHA THAT KID IN THE CORNER) with me; it's small and I can test chords and things out when I'm notating my rubbish compositions on Musescore... :biggrin:
Reply 99
Purplebutterfly, you're freaking me out! O.O
I have to take a metrolink at 7 every day, so i'll go out the building around 6.30, do you think it will be dangerous to go out that early?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending