The Student Room Group

what do i need for my access course?

Ok so I start my access course in about a months time and am just wondering what sort of stuff I should buy beforehand, I know it seem like a bit of a stupid thing to ask but been a woke since I studied anything lol
Obviously pens and a notebook. A folder for each subject. Some plastic pockets.
An academic diary is a good one (although you won't need it straight away and your college might give you one).
That's about it initially. They will tell you if you need anything else.
Perhaps you could start to read up on your subjects before you start by purchasing a few textbooks?
Reply 2
Generic things like pens, paper, lever arch folders and notebooks, but I would wait until you are told what you will need in regards to books and other more costly materials. I know so many people who have bought too much in advance, and have wasted a lot of money when they find they don't need or use something.
Reply 3
Original post by jeffercake
Obviously pens and a notebook. A folder for each subject. Some plastic pockets.
An academic diary is a good one (although you won't need it straight away and your college might give you one).
That's about it initially. They will tell you if you need anything else.
Perhaps you could start to read up on your subjects before you start by purchasing a few textbooks?

Thanks jeffer shouldn't cost that much to get it all sorted then :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by Kovu07
Generic things like pens, paper, lever arch folders and notebooks, but I would wait until you are told what you will need in regards to books and other more costly materials. I know so many people who have bought too much in advance, and have wasted a lot of money when they find they don't need or use something.

Ahhh thanks, I get to enroll next wed as am going to be on holiday when they do the official enrollmen, do you think I will find all that out then?
Reply 5
Original post by geekay1
Ahhh thanks, I get to enroll next wed as am going to be on holiday when they do the official enrollmen, do you think I will find all that out then?

You should get given information on your course then, but don't feel like you need to rush out and buy everything straight away. Also enjoy your holiday, and don't feel like you need to do lots of prep work in advance. :smile:
Reply 6
I would wait until you start before you get stuff, I bought five lever arch files an ended up using two as didn't get that much given out, handouts etc.
I would definitely go with one (small) file/folder per subject not because you will get lots of handouts, but just to keep everything organised and tidy. Makes things much easier.
Reply 8
I'm just going to get a pack of pens and a couple of pads of A4 lined paper for my first day. I'm not sure how many subjects my course is split up into. I'm hoping that the college will give us a list of what we will need on the first day.
Original post by jami74
I'm just going to get a pack of pens and a couple of pads of A4 lined paper for my first day

Exactly what I did - anything more on the first day would have been a waste of time and money.
Reply 10
Thanks for the advice everyone, much appreciated :smile:
Reply 11
Yeah, pretty much everything everyone else has said! Ringbinders (I used one for each subject) A4 lined refill paper and 100's or clear plastic envelopes, ruler, scientific calculator, and a little notebook.

Some people even bought a Dictaphone to record some lecturers!(not necessary but can be helpful sometimes) :smile:
Reply 12
i have just complete my access course , and all you need is one ,as you need to put all your work into one ringbinder to get marked .So all you will need is pens,paper and pencils And you dont need a dictaphone ,the teachers are very laid back because you are an adult and will go through the subject areas with you one on one if needs be

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending