The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is nudity frowned upon?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
The reason it is frowned upon by certain societies or delegations of people is due to sexualistion; the mere act of conjuring up a dogma based on a visual sight.

In societies where it is the norm to be nude in certain predicaments it is entirely fine as the "idea" of sexualisation does not guarantee it's place as a sign of social discordance.

On a more pragmatic approach; the benefits of clothing is obvious as has been stated in previous comments, as are the negatives.
In all seriousness, I think some puritannical people may be motivated by insecurity more than principle. What if my partner wants that other person, what if they are happy with their bodies more than me, what if someone enjoys sexual stuff more than me, etc.
Original post by Chillaxer
In all seriousness, I think some puritannical people may be motivated by insecurity more than principle. What if my partner wants that other person, what if they are happy with their bodies more than me, what if someone enjoys sexual stuff more than me, etc.

I think the Puritan influence has a lot to do with the UK and US attitude towards nudity and why it is frowned upon by so many.
Reply 63
I don't know about you guys but I don't want to see an old large man naked...."/, a hot woman, well that's a different story imho :smile:
Original post by starburst01

What's the point in wearing clothes tbh. Most people say it's shameful to not wear any because that's what they were conditioned to believe over the last 2000 or so years, but other then that I see no reason to wear clothes. Except when it's cold but what about people in the tropics, why do they wear clothes?

Personally I don't like wearing clothes because they make me feel constricted and I like showing off my muscular aesthetics. I don't see any need to wear clothes. But I wear them anyway because that's the norm :rolleyes:

You answered your own question. You wear clothes because that is the norm. Nudity is frowned upon because it isn't the norm.

It isn't an easy question to give a direct answer to. but the reason we wear clothes is because we have a conscious, somewhere in our head we know that some parts of the body should be covered up from the masses and only revealed when we feel the time is right i.e during sex or when we feel that our behaviour isn't frowned upon.
because that's the norm :rolleyes:

This.
Reply 66
Clothes give you a sense of security, like a blanket at night. Even when it's really hot, I like to have a sheet or something to curl up under. I like clothes; they give you style, expression, comfort, and uniqueness. Clothes are cool.
Reply 67
tbh the main issue i would have if people went around naked would be with the various bodily secretions that would be left on bus seats etc
What's the point in wearing clothes tbh. Most people say it's shameful to not wear any because that's what they were conditioned to believe over the last 2000 or so years, but other then that I see no reason to wear clothes. Except when it's cold but what about people in the tropics, why do they wear clothes?

Personally I don't like wearing clothes because they make me feel constricted and I like showing off my muscular aesthetics. I don't see any need to wear clothes. But I wear them anyway because that's the norm :rolleyes:

That's an excellent point.
But, I think it wuld make the sexual experience less pleasurable if we all walked around naked as, after a while, we wouldnt get as excited at seeing naked people.

Similarly, I think if we all started going around naked now after being conditioned to wear clothes, I think there would be too much sexual excitement on the streets at first; 90% of us men would be walking around hard-on, which natural or not would be as embarrasing and pervy as ****.

As a sidenote, I dont think our species are built to be naked any longer. We would need to be harier and have stronger soles on our feet (I know the latter would come naturally, but millenia ago we were pronably born with it.)
Reply 69
Original post by Stefan1991
Why not in front of peoples children? :lolwut:

Being naked is the most natural thing in the world for a child.

Cause when the bad man looks at the little boy it could lead to a potentially embarrassing situation.
Reply 70
Some people don't like to show themselves around naked; But more importantly, It's part of society?? It's been that way. It will stay that way. The real problem is that tons of people are ashamed of themselves naked...not that people SHOULD be naked all the time.

And you want to show of your muscles? Why, don't you sound like a douche.
Reply 71
Original post by bob247
Cause when the bad man looks at the little boy it could lead to a potentially embarrassing situation.

What's to be embarrassed about? :confused:
Reply 72
I don't see why nudity should be illegal tbh, seeing as it's the bare human body, and a person isn't automatically going to rape you if they are nude.

Although I think it would be a bit unhygienic in cities etc though.

I mean, can you imagine how dirty/smelly/sweaty people would get if everyone in that picture (for example) was naked?
Reply 73
Original post by No Man

Original post by No Man
I mean, can you imagine how dirty/smelly/sweaty people would get if everyone in that picture (for example) was naked?

Frankly it wouldn't be any worse, it may even be better.

Being naked does not automatically make you more dirty. It makes sweating more efficient, meaning that you do less of it, and you don't carry lots of sweat around with you all day on your clothes either.
If anything people would smell less, and potentially be less dirty, as being naked would mean that they'd be more careful about what they sat on, and wouldn't be wearing clothes which have accumulated muck on them. If something falls on skin you can just wipe it off, as it's waterproof and doesn't stain easily.

The much bigger problems in my opinion are temperature regulation and pockets.
Reply 74
Nudity is fine and natural. The only problem is the Winter!
Original post by QwentyJ
Nudity is fine and natural. The only problem is the Winter!

That's why there are saunas in Scandanavian countries and Germany.
Reply 76
It's considered to be an excessive sexual expression. Soceity is pretty prudish.
Reply 77
Reply 78
:rolleyes: It's just Nuts/zoo online. Where are the naked men?
We didn't just start wearing clothes for no reason people, most of the time in Britain clothes are a necessity even in summer it's rarley that hot it's rained for most of the summer. As someone else said if we all walked around naked even on a hot day our skin would end up getting burned to a crisp. Humans don't have fur like most animals do and as such we are not designed to wear nothing we can't cope not only does clothing provide warmth but it provides protection if I was to walk around a city naked I would get grazed and cut loads of times our feet would be bleeding like **** all the time then add in if we are naked the male genitals will be swining around which isn't very comftorable at all that's why even in tribes in the middle of stifiling heat in Africa or South America still cover their genitals it would be very easy to damage them otherwise.

I don't personally mind if I see people naked on a beach, spa or changing it's not exactly pleasent to see an old fat man/woman naked but it doesn't bother me either but the people that walk around the streets in Britain naked are just attention seeking pervs there is absoloutley no reason to do it we aren't built to do it in this country.

Latest

Trending

Trending