The Student Room Group

Overcame Clinical Depression

This is a question about my cousin.

5 years ago he went to University, where in the first semester he was diagnosed with Clinical Depression and he was given heavy medication. I looked up and it was heavier than what the US and UK laws allow because he is from India.

After 2 years and 4 months he dropped out of the college due to failing grades. He said that the medications are so heavy that he feels the effect on his mind all the time and he cannot concentrate, focus and also he feels like a loser.

Than he quit the medications all of sudden, started exercising mins every day, went on a rigorous diet routine etc. etc.

In the past 2.5 years he has worked full time while completing a diploma from part time education in India and he says he is happy.

He also claims that he was a victim of commercialization of medical doctors. Because doctors in India , tend to get a commission on the purchase of medicine by the patients, they tend to overstate a small bump like depression so that they can earn money from the patient for the rest of the life.

And now he says that he want to go to UK to study.

Will the Universities consider a previous disability and overlook his failed grades many years ago?
They should be fairly lenient, as his poor grades were entirely circumstantial. Presumably he's a mature student now anyway so universities tend to be a little looser with regard to past experiences. I think it should count in his favour that he wants to return to study full time, and the fact he's been working while studying for a diploma does show a commitment to self-directed learning.

It's a disability, plain and simple. Technically to a certain extent he'd be covered by the DDA, but it depends how poor his grades were to begin with, if that makes sense? My advice, would be to get him to contact the universities he's interested in and get in touch with their student support teams to look at the options available and see if they'd be willing to overlook the poor grades given the circumstances at the time (he might need some form of medical proof though, that says that the meds were what was effecting his performance)
Reply 2
At present he is thinking of NOT disclosing his disability and focus of the positives of his application. Like 3 years of full time work experience and an upper second class diploma. And just state is bad results years ago in 1 line.

Is that a good idea?

Are you certain about what you are saying? Also what sorts of proof is required he has all the monthly prescriptions with him, and medicine bills. Is that enough?

Any other people who has to deal with disability can comment, please.
(edited 12 years ago)
It's entirely up to him, if he's more comfortable not disclosing then fair play to him. He's shown a clear progression since then and could argue that he wasn't ready for university the first time round, but as a more mature individual now, he feels more comfortable to cope with the demands of full time study.

Personally, I would disclose, if only for the simple fact that it justifies his grades at the time. It's not something to be ashamed of, it's just one of those things. I think that even though he doesn't suffer now, having the support staff aware of his past history might be beneficial in case the stress of uni life causes a relapse. There is always the possibility of disclosing at a later date too, so the option is available should he change his mind and wish to take it.

As for the evidence, I'm fairly certain something will be required, but it might not even be anywhere near as formal as a medical note that explains his medication's impact. Maybe his reference could pop a few sentences in that state the circumstances for his poor grades at the time, but reinforce his merits, progression and talents since then? It will be more complicated justifying his grades if he's not disclosing because of it being a medically-related mitigating circumstance, but again, that's something for him and his reference to look into.

I'd still suggest contacting the uni's he's interested in like I've already mentioned, even if it's only to ask from a purely hypothetical standpoint as an anonymous user. At least then he'd know if it were worth his while to disclose or not.
Reply 4
Can disclosing a disability like Clinical Depression effect his application in any which way? positive or negative?
(edited 12 years ago)
Not really. It's against the law to discriminate on grounds of disability, so the universities wouldn't be allowed to outright say no. I think it would strengthen his application in terms of providing a mitigating circumstance for his poor grades (ie, he was capable, but a valid reason caused problems) as opposed to the argument of not being ready for university.

I think disclosing would allow a support network to be in place in case a relapse did occur, which is of great use, but if your cousin isn't comfortable disclosing then that's well within his rights too. It's all going to boil down to a personal preference in the end, and it certainly shouldn't bar him from pursuing a course at HE level.
Reply 6
Original post by Nymphadorable
Not really. It's against the law to discriminate on grounds of disability, so the universities wouldn't be allowed to outright say no. I think it would strengthen his application in terms of providing a mitigating circumstance for his poor grades (ie, he was capable, but a valid reason caused problems) as opposed to the argument of not being ready for university.

I think disclosing would allow a support network to be in place in case a relapse did occur, which is of great use, but if your cousin isn't comfortable disclosing then that's well within his rights too. It's all going to boil down to a personal preference in the end, and it certainly shouldn't bar him from pursuing a course at HE level.

Great, thank you. I will explain my findings to him!!

Quick Reply