The Student Room Group

five a-levels or four?

I know what im pickiing for next year. Bilogy,Chemistry, maths, and history but im not sure if I should add physics as a fifth subject.

I know i will revise and study alot next year during weekends and after school but will it be enought to get 5 a's. How much studying has to be done to get five a's if you study 5 alevels.

one think you should know is over the past years i havent been a good student and never really listened in class or did my homework but alot of stuff has happened recently which has changed me so i believe i can get 5a's i mean if other people can then why cant i?
It is up to you if you do five or four. It is better to get four good a-levels than five mediocare ones but if you believe you can do five and will put in the effort, go for it.
What do you want to do at university?
tbh it all depends on you. theres no reason why you cant get 5a/a*s. but then again 4 alevels is easier than 5
Reply 4
I don't think 5 will give you much of an advantage. Tbh, you only need 3 A levels and an AS level at the most. No point giving yourself extra work :smile:
Reply 5
i want to study medicine but now im considering engineering and if i do study five my options will be open and the problem is my gcse's will not be excelllent so i thought I can make up for it by studying five a-levels
Reply 6
Original post by thelion0
i want to study medicine but now im considering engineering and if i do study five my options will be open and the problem is my gcse's will not be excelllent so i thought I can make up for it by studying five a-levels

I don't think it works like that
Reply 7
Original post by No Future
I don't think it works like that

I agree!

Achieving 5A's at A2 level will require immense dedication and determination. I would definitely say do 4 and if you are considering engineering then physics should be essential.

As someone said before you are only required to have 3 A2's and one AS at most ie for Kings.

Hope that helped.

For engineering, maths and physics would probably be essential at most uni (correct me if i'm wrong) and further maths would be desirable
Reply 9
im only doing 3...

If you want to study either medicine or engineering then history isn't much use to you. You would be better off with chemistry, physics, maths and further maths which will keep both options open. Taking five A levels will be of no real benefit.
I agree that history is perhaps not the best choice given your current course plans. Chemistry is required for almost all medicine courses, and Biology for many. For those that Biology is not required, it is usually the case that the vast majority of successful applicants have studied it regardless.

Maths and Physics are vital for engineering, and Further Maths is usually very desirable. You would probably struggle to get into a top rate engineering course without it. Thus, if you are to take five subjects, your best option would be to choose Maths, FM and the three sciences. This is one of the easiest combinations of five subjects, given the overlap between them.

I don't see the harm in taking five. If, in the first week or two, you feel that the workload is going to be too great, you can always drop down to four. You can't, however, take up a fifth subject if you only start with four.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest