The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Haha, best crime ever. Can you go to prison for it?
Yes, The apples are the produce of your neighbours tree and therefore his property. Taking them is theft.
Or are apples a metaphore for his wife? You can never be sure on tsr...
Reply 3
It is rather good isn't it! I don't know though, I'm currently revising A level law and my brother came up with a stupid case study for me to write an essay about. It involved apple scrumping and I don't actually know whether it is illegal...

Hah - wife scrumping
Reply 4
Oo-er.
Yeah it illegal. We studied it in property law. I think the acquisition of the property takes place by accession because your neighbour's apple tree produced the apple. So yeah, he/she has the real rights in the property and taking the apples with the intention of deprieving him/her of the apple without his consent is theft.
In scots law anyway... (I'm revising property)
Scrumping as in schlomping
Reply 7
In order for an act to be deemed a crime, it has to fulfill 2 criteria: "actus reus" - the physical act itself for which the gathering of evidence and testimonial of experts and witnesses prove essential, and "mens rea" - the mental element. This is where the dilemma lies - did the defendant intend to steal? Now the question you phrased used the word 'steal'. So it is apparent that the defendant's intention was to steal. He took the apple (actus reus) with the intention to steal (mens rea). Hence satisfying the 2 elements.
Ok, that wasn't much of a debate :frown:
Reply 9
The_Shyster
Ok, that wasn't much of a debate :frown:

Oh, I don't know if I'm absolutely right or not. I'm not a law student yet :redface:
Reply 10
Legalise Scrumping!
Reply 11
What if the apple falls of your neighbours tree an lands in your garden?
Reply 12
WHAT DO WE WANT?!?!?

SCRUMPING!

WHEN DO WE WANT IT!?!?!

NOW!
The apple still belongs to him because he didn't give you a real right in the apple. It just happens to be on your land, and in terms of law it's not a case of "finders keepers"
Reply 14
Lol, if it falls into your garden, there is no physical act of stealing. It just fell. Naturally.

Or you could be an example citizen: pick the apple up, walk over to your neighbours house and give the apple back. Maybe he'll give you the apple for free :eek:
What is the craze with apple scrumping. If it was a tree that grew chocolate bars I might understand, but apples?
Reply 16
mdm708
What is the craze with apple scrumping. If it was a tree that grew chocolate bars I might understand, but apples?

Welcome to the real world, my friend :wink:
Reply 17
mdm708

it's easier to throw apples, and you can't make cider from chocolate
devilbunny
it's easier to throw apples, and you can't make cider from chocolate

No, but you can make Yahzoo and that's all that matters :biggrin:
Reply 19
e11even - lovely answer, and yes you are right. *claps*

I just think the word 'scrumping' is funny.

Latest