Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to have your say on this topicNew here? Join for free to post

Prevention is better than cure.

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 8 followers

ReputationRep:
    A lot of religious people who get ill pray to god to get better and others do the same on their behalf.

We all know prevention is better than cure so why doesn't god prevent religious people getting ill in the first place instead of letting them get ill, then have to cure them afterwards?
    • 57 followers

ReputationRep:
    You've highlighted one of the more dangerous areas of religion, people who will pray rather than seeking out medical help;
    http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,341574,00.html

People are more than welcome to their beliefs, but compromising the lives of others by refusing to seek proper medical attention is nothing short of despicable.

As for why god doesn't prevent? He doesn't exist.
    • 26 followers

ReputationRep:
    Well, double-blind tests (the type used to test medical drugs) have shown that prayer has no effect. We can take this to mean that we are praying to nobody, as I and other atheists would argue, or that gods plans don't rely on prayer.

We have no power over god, god has plans and that may involve people getting ill or dying. Indeed if nobody dies the world would have a different set of problems to deal with instead.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I thought that in some cases prayer/belief had been shown to help, though obviously because remaining positive and such is generally beneficial to recovery (I mean, for example, I knew two people that got pretty nasty cancer around the same time, one got all depressed and sat around smoking, he died. The other kept positive, made himself eat healthily, took medicine, got exercise, blablabla, and recovered.) and not because there's some dude up there listening and waiting to help you out.

I'm sure if you look at illnesses with very high mortality rates 'miracles' are just as common in those that have no belief as they are in the devout anyway. So, yeah.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I thought this was going to be a thread about how children shouldn't be brought up in religious environments rather than trying to dereligionise them when they're older... how disappointing.
    • 110 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DarkSenrine)
    I thought this was going to be a thread about how children shouldn't be brought up in religious environments rather than trying to dereligionise them when they're older... how disappointing.
    You could always make that thread too? :p:
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I've thought the same once or twice....but a few religions believe different things for example some believe life is a test , others believe its karma, and there's many more explanations for this....
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    If God is sovereign, you'd think people would pray to take whatever he dishes out, rather than plead to "change" his mind.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)
    A lot of religious people who get ill pray to god to get better and others do the same on their behalf.

We all know prevention is better than cure so why doesn't god prevent religious people getting ill in the first place instead of letting them get ill, then have to cure them afterwards?
    i'm sure religous people pray for good health even when healthy.

Everyone gets sick, religous or otherwise and everyone dies (even jesus!)
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pax Amerifauna)
    If God is sovereign, you'd think people would pray to take whatever he dishes out, rather than plead to "change" his mind.
    surely god can change his "mind" ..... why didn't god's son take what he was given.... why did he beg his father to save him.... why not just take his serving on the cross?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Maker)

Because there is no god.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    How do you prevent homosexuality then?
    Or cancer?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DayneD89)
    Well, double-blind tests (the type used to test medical drugs) have shown that prayer has no effect. We can take this to mean that we are praying to nobody, as I and other atheists would argue, or that gods plans don't rely on prayer.

We have no power over god, god has plans and that may involve people getting ill or dying. Indeed if nobody dies the world would have a different set of problems to deal with instead.
    There is another option - God is sentient, omnipotent and not into revealing Himself. All of these three characteristics are ones that members of various religions have ascribed (is that the right word?) to God for many centuries, long before double-blind tests were conceived.

Essentially the double-blind test looks to reveal a natural, inevitable set of consequences by removing the sentient reaction to circumstances. God, on the other hand, is omnipotent and therefore the double-blind test cannot remove his sentient reactions. He must then choose whether to listen to the prayers and thereby reveal that prayer works and therefore he exists. Or he ignores the prayers in order to keep his existence hidden.

Since part of keeping himself hidden has always included allowing people to die and suffer (temporarily and for the greater and individual good according to most religions) it is perhaps unsurprising that he might choose to ignore prayers that are being monitored as part of a test.

Put it another way - double-blind tests aimed at revealing the presence of God cannot provide evidence of God's non-existence since even those claiming he exists would not expect the test to show his existence.

I hope I wrote that clearly enough.
    • 52 followers

ReputationRep:
    Ok this is what I think

Because if god let all of stay healthy all the time, no one would die until old age and then we would have damn mps saying "we are living longer" and then cutting my pension when I am just about to retire and then I find out I need to work for another say 20 more years !!!!

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 2, 2011
New on TSR

Personal statement help

Use our clever tool to create a PS you're proud of.

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.