The Student Room Group

Feel like I'm doomed to fail!

Well the title says it all really. I got on okay in my first semester. My results were 70%, 63% and two times 55%. My second semester was pretty rubbish - I did okay in my courseworks but not that well in my exams and I'm surprised I passed at all to be honest because I didn't understand anything especially Developmental Psychology I just couldn't get into it at all no matter how much I read.. I'm now dreading the work in second year. Surprisingly the only module I'm okay with is Research Methods and Statistics because I actually understand that.

I just feel as though I haven't got enough knowledge to progress into the second year. I didn't do A Level so was behind anyway and struggled in the first few weeks and other circumstances meant I missed a lot of lectures. I was thinking of dropping out and doing Sociology at another uni, but I want to be a teacher and feel that Psychology will be much better in the future.

How can I understand and be motivated to do better? I really feel like I'm doomed to fail this course and I want to do well!
Reply 1
Original post by Kim_xx
Well the title says it all really. I got on okay in my first semester. My results were 70%, 63% and two times 55%. My second semester was pretty rubbish - I did okay in my courseworks but not that well in my exams and I'm surprised I passed at all to be honest because I didn't understand anything especially Developmental Psychology I just couldn't get into it at all no matter how much I read.. I'm now dreading the work in second year. Surprisingly the only module I'm okay with is Research Methods and Statistics because I actually understand that.

I just feel as though I haven't got enough knowledge to progress into the second year. I didn't do A Level so was behind anyway and struggled in the first few weeks and other circumstances meant I missed a lot of lectures. I was thinking of dropping out and doing Sociology at another uni, but I want to be a teacher and feel that Psychology will be much better in the future.

How can I understand and be motivated to do better? I really feel like I'm doomed to fail this course and I want to do well!

Did you get an overall 2:i?
Reply 2
Original post by tehforum
Did you get an overall 2:i?

I got an overall 2:2 I think :/
I failed one exam but was awarded a 'Compensated Fail' so don't have to re-do it that was in Developmental Psychology.
I feel like it would be so much easier starting another course, but I can't do the course I want to at my current uni without re-applying (can't get an easy transfer) and don't want to move home where I can do a Social Sciences course.
Reply 3
Original post by Kim_xx
I got an overall 2:2 I think :/
I failed one exam but was awarded a 'Compensated Fail' so don't have to re-do it that was in Developmental Psychology.
I feel like it would be so much easier starting another course, but I can't do the course I want to at my current uni without re-applying (can't get an easy transfer) and don't want to move home where I can do a Social Sciences course.

Does your 1st year count?
Was it that module that brought down your whole grade? If so, I really think you're fine.
Reply 4
Original post by tehforum
Does your 1st year count?
Was it that module that brought down your whole grade? If so, I really think you're fine.

No it doesn't count thank goodness :smile:
I'm trying so hard this summer to go through slides and books but it's just not sinking in. I'm not in learning mode at all. Oh well I'll be broke in September so plenty of time for reading then :/
Reply 5
You mentioned that there were other circumstances you had to deal with which compromised your studies. I'm assuming you would have done better if these circumstances didn't occur? Also, you probably struggled because you didn't take it up at A level but now you've completed the first year you may actually excel in the second year now that you have some knowledge of psychology. Just read up on some of your first year notes and you'll be prepared for the next year.

If you enjoy the course then you should stick with it.
Reply 6
Original post by bruce_t89
You mentioned that there were other circumstances you had to deal with which compromised your studies. I'm assuming you would have done better if these circumstances didn't occur? Also, you probably struggled because you didn't take it up at A level but now you've completed the first year you may actually excel in the second year now that you have some knowledge of psychology. Just read up on some of your first year notes and you'll be prepared for the next year.

If you enjoy the course then you should stick with it.

Hi :smile: Yeah I enjoyed going to uni and all that, and liked some of the modules just a few that have really got me down. I suppose it's like that for everyone, and at least I'm not resitting anything.

The first semester went really well, except the usual things like homesickness I did well in all my modules, enjoyed uni and didn't miss many lectures. Second was awful, I was just really down and hated where I lived and a friend left uni, so I didn't spend as much time in uni and came home a lot so my course suffered. I was going to start a different course but I'm not now, because I know I'd hate being a year behind and the process of changing is not really easy in my uni. But I feel like id I'd been happier then I'd have done much better. I'm trying to do some reading up but seriously busy with work at the moment so don't get much time, and when I get back to uni it'll be such a rush!

Quick Reply

Latest