The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Picnic1
What a load of old nonsense if anyone thinks that someone filling out a survey of how they think that they feel is in any way a proper scientific test of anxiety.

Can you imagine if it was a survey for genius?

1. Do you have original thoughts that no-one you know has had before? YES
2. Do you have a high IQ? YES

Congratulations- you are officially a genius. Leonardo da Vinci has nothing on you.

True that - my problems were diagnosed on a basis of three surveys administered by a therapist and a chat :rolleyes: but then they could tell apparently, as I once took a panic attack whilst having an ECG and apparently sat in an "anxious manner" at times - and I was once told to lie on a reclining chair in front of a nurse and couldn't do it without shaking.. It depends what mood you are in, my anxiety varies from moderate to severe enough that I just sit and cry because I'm so frightened of things!

It needs to be a more balanced test though if it's specifically for anxiety - I mean, mine is triggered by anything I can't fully control which is most things!
(edited 12 years ago)
40. Thought it would me markedly higher.. :erm:
Reply 142
Found this really useful video about overcoming anxiety
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AaO4fV87x7Q&feature=related
there's multiple parts
90, and it could have been higher.

Did not think it would be that high...
39 :smile:
Reply 145
49. Thought I'd get higher.
Reply 147
101 :/
Mine's 34.
Reply 149
8, although this is more about social anxiety right? instead of anxiety to do with other aspects
103 haha
Reply 151
21... I think I'm okay.
Reply 152
123, Wow I never knew that :/
Reply 153
81 :frown:
Reply 154
118. :/ Terrified for uni.
Original post by Picnic1
It did make sense- you even go on to explain it.

Counsellors don't 'deal' with them in a deep sense though. They proffer easy solutions. Their clients want unconditional love. The counsellor remains impartial and will, therefore, even if unwittingly, act as a further source of 'nobody REALLY cares about me' in their client's lives.

The bar is not necessarily high to become a counsellor. Some will be deeply flawed human beings who have become a counsellor to get a vicarious thrill out of appearing to solve other people's problems as a power trip and in order that their own problems don't seem so bad.

No, they don't. You've clearly never seen or experienced a counsellor. And you can't just claim that every client wants unconditional love, nor that the counsellor causes further problems by not providing it.

That's also untrue. To be a clinical psychologist, you must have a degree in psychology. Some 'counsellors' do not have such a high level of qualification, but this is always made clear and they are more likely to be used as short term solutions for minor problems. Again, that claim has no evidence, and is entirely incorrect, based on some misguided prejudices you seem to have developed.
Reply 156
Mine is 31.
If it was few years ago it would have been worse.
Wow, I thought it might turn out quite high from some of the answers I gave but it's reassuring to only be

17 (fear) + 14 (avoidance) = 31.

No disorder :h:

So I avoid parties and fear romantic intimacy but I'm normal, woohoo!
103 - "You have very severe social anxiety disorder"

Awesome. I knew this anyway, but I would rather not live on pills to deal with it....and I'm too scared to talk about it with a councellor or doctor....so...what now?
Original post by The Procrastinator
103 - "You have very severe social anxiety disorder"

Awesome. I knew this anyway, but I would rather not live on pills to deal with it....and I'm too scared to talk about it with a councellor or doctor....so...what now?

Those are the two main options. :frown: You don't have to 'live' on pills, but medication can be really helpful. And I'd especially recommend counselling, even if it's difficult, it will be worth it in the end :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending