The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Whilst it's practically impossible to do so, it may be possible by the time its just an iron ore deposit on the bottom of the Atlantic :P

But I found this image of what Titanic would like should the oceans be drained :P

But on the other hand it would be disrespectful to the people who died on it, although any bodies who went down with the ship would be long eroded away by now even at the low oxygen levels at that depth.

The stern I think we can pretty much write off though as far as raising it is concerned xD
Original post by apple_head
Whilst it's practically impossible to do so, it may be possible by the time its just an iron ore deposit on the bottom of the Atlantic :P

But I found this image of what Titanic would like should the oceans be drained :P

But on the other hand it would be disrespectful to the people who died on it, although any bodies who went down with the ship would be long eroded away by now even at the low oxygen levels at that depth.

The stern I think we can pretty much write off though as far as raising it is concerned xD

I like the seagull :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by madders94
I like the seagull :smile:

I like pie =)
Reply 23
The fact is that while iron-eating bacteria have been causing the hull to decay, most of the damage has been done by human attempts to visit and recover artefacts. If we left it alone it could last for centuries, but at the current rate of deterioration it's predicted that the structure will collapse within 50 years. Any attempt to raise the ship would most likely result in its complete destruction, and even if it survives it wouldn't last long on the surface.
It would be an amazing feat if it were to be raised but Im not sure its possible. Its most likely too fragile and degraded to pull up in one piece and the cost of doing so would be astronomical
Reply 25
If they can raise the Mary Rose, a 500 year old wooden ship and treat it so it can be in the open air of a museum (soon), then surely with enough care they can do the same to the Titanic? If they could I think it would be ok to raise. It's not considered a grave, the remains of the victims are long gone.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 26
There's talk that soon it could fall apart entirely, its disintegration is speeding up. It's better to raise it and save it than lose it, it could be a joint Anglo-American venture (maybe each could keep half....).
Reply 27
How would one go about raising a old old iron ship from the sea floor?
Reply 28
It seems too risky. It's very fragile. Would be a shame to lose it though.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 29
I don't see anything morally wrong with it, if it was possible to raise it without it completely disintegrating, which I very much doubt.
Reply 30
Hasn't anyone seen that film, 'Raise the Titanic'?

Reply 31
Have you heard of the Hunley? It's a confederate submarine that sank in 1864. It was the first submarine to sink a ship or something like that. In 2000 it was raised successfully despite being underwater rusting for the last 136 years . The only challenge with the Titanic is just it's size- if they wanted to bring it up whole.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 32
Original post by Isamin
If they can raise the Mary Rose, a 500 year old wooden ship and treat it so it can be in the open air of a museum (soon), then surely with enough care they can do the same to the Titanic? If they could I think it would be ok to raise. It's not considered a grave, the remains of the victims are long gone.

:facepalm:

Yes, a wooden ship which is a heck of a lot lighter than an iron ship. Also, it's a lot easier to preserve wood that's been underwater than iron.

Oh yeah.. The Titanic is 2 and half miles below the sea. The Mary Rose was 36 feet (11 metres) underwater at low tide..

But of course! That doesn't matter because they've done it for one wreck so therefore they should be able to do it for every wreck! :facepalm2:

To the OP: No it shouldn't be raised. Mainly because by the time we might have the technology to raise it, it won't really be worth salvaging.. ..
Who cares?
Reply 34
Lower the Atlantic
Original post by Lone Wander R
I think 100 years is long enough, it would be sad to see such a significant disaster in history to fade away.

I think raising it would be fine.

After all, I think they give tours of Auswitch if I'm not mistaken.
(if they don't then I must seem really insensitive so I do apoligise)

They even have a gift shop and **** loads of restaurants outside. :rolleyes:
Original post by karateworm
They even have a gift shop and **** loads of restaurants outside. :rolleyes:

I'm not gonna but there's some very distasteful jokes that can be made there...
Original post by Lone Wander R
I'm not gonna but there's some very distasteful jokes that can be made there...

Holocaust jokes? That's beyond the pail.

Anne Frankly I won't stand for it.

:colone:
i think so, it may be the final resting place of many, but it will serve much better above ground as education and tourist attraction as well as a monument,

i know i would rather see it above ground than lost forever
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 39
Its already far too gone to be of any use as a museum, and by the time you've freed it from the seabed it'll be nought but a few flimsy pieces of ironwork. Leave it be, peaceful and serene, a fitting memorial to those who built her, those who sailed on her, and those who came to the rescue of her survivors. Without the mystery the story wouldnt be half as powerful.
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending