Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Will Michael Schumacher win another championship or race?

Announcements Posted on
What are your mock exam revision tips?! Share them with our year 10 & 11 students! 19-11-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I am a big Michael Schumacher fan. He is one of the greatest sportsmen who ever lived, and his achievements and records in F1 will stand for many years to come.

Personally I believe he hasn't lost the talent, and if Mercedes give him a front-running car, he can and will win races and another championship.

I don't get all this negative backlash towards Schumacher. His comeback has not been that bad. He's basically suffered in a mid-field car.

Sure, he's made a few clumsy overtaking maneuvers, but that is just frustration at not having a car to match his talent and so he has to overdrive the car and take more risks to make up for it.

His 4th place in Canada was an incredible drive. Had he been in a front-running car, he would've been in with a shout of winning that race.

I love his never-ending positive attitude and never give up mindset. I still think he'll be back at the top soon - it's simply up to Mercedes to provide him with a decent car.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I think he will win another race, but his car lacks the consistency atm to win him a Championship.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    If he had a car like the Red Bull, then maybe. But he is consistently outperformed by Rosberg in qualifying and the race. I am a huge Schumi fan, supported him since i started watching in '96 but I believe he has lost that little edge that made him brilliant. And with F1 being so competitive, that edge is often the difference between a good and great driver. Schumacher used to outperform his car, I don't really see it happening now.

I wouldn't mind being proved wrong though
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, is the short answer.
    • 43 followers

ReputationRep:
    Championship - no chance.
    Race - maybe next season, if Mercedes produce a much better car.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If Mercedes did give him a championship winning car I'd like to see how his relationship with Rosberg changes...especially if Rosberg continues to dominate the results
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ahpadt)
    No, is the short answer.
    This.

I can't see any reasonable justification for saying otherwise.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    No, MS was famous for pushing a car to its limits the same way Alonso and Hamilton do, but the fact his non-race winning team-mate is almost running rings around the 7 times world champion and Mercedes are not throwing cash at the car, I can't see it happening.
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    no to both.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Championship - No
    Race - Maybe 1 or 2 but considering there are like 5 drivers who are better than him and in better cars it wud have to be a odd race like canada, very wet, or a big pile up likw what nearly happened at monaco
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    It all depends on the car imo. If a car can win a race with raw pace then it can fight for the championship. Give Schumi the car and he'll fight for the championship, but I doubt he'll win it. Rosberg will probably win it instead. Schumi is an amazing driver, one of the best ever, but its clear he's not driving like he did in his golden years with Ferrari. He's still got incredible race craft though.
    • 14 followers

ReputationRep:
    I think in an improved car he could definitely win a race or two.
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    he doesn't have the talent anymore.

Even if he does manage to get a better car, whoever is team mate is will beat him. unless its glock, then he might have a chance of winning.

He is a great driver, maybe the greatest of all time, but he is well past it and should move on.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Too much of F1 nowadays depends on the car and not the skill of the driver as it did 20-30 years ago. Stick him in a Red Bull and he'd probably win every other week, as would many of the other drivers in the slower teams, but he's got no chance at the moment.

The problem with Schumacher is that he's with a team who are working towards a long-term goal and Michael doesn't have time on his side. He's 42 years of age and isn't at the stage of his career where he can commit to another project similar to Ferrari in 1996.

You see the odd flashes of brilliance every now and then and he's certainly still got it - somebody who has won seven world championships and won 91 races doesn't lose his talent overnight - but we don't see it often enough as the Merc clearly isn't up to it.

The fact that Rosberg (a driver I rate fairly highly) still hasn't won a race shows just how poor the car is. Yes he's out qualified Schumacher every other week and often finishes above him as well but I'd expected both of them to be on the podium more often.

Love him or hate him, there's no denying he's one of the best drivers in history. To see him being lapped by Vettel and having clumsy collisions with other drivers isn't nice to watch, but sadly there's not much more he can do at the moment. In Canada we saw him perform brilliantly, but that was only due to the weather which gave him a better chance.

Looking at his comeback as a whole it has certainly failed to live up to expectations. However that is partly due to the fact that we were all used to seeing him winning every other week the same way Vettel is at the moment. He doesn't have that luxury of having a competitive car and when you're in that situation that's when you usually see what a driver is made of.

He's certainly become more error prone since returning to Formula One. The Schumacher of old would make maybe one major error per season, now he makes far more than that. Gone are the days where he seemed bulletproof, he now appears to be far more rash when on the track.

He can't drive round a problem the way he used to. He seems to be unable to get to grips with the way the tyres perform on a modern car and as a consequence he seems to struggle with qualifying in particular. On the other hand, his starts tend to be excellent. More often than not you see the green box with ^4 or so beside his name after the first few laps but you could argue that's because he started from eighth or ninth.

Perhaps it's just down to the fact that the sport has changed since his time at the top. Things like DRS are all part of this modern target of giving the attacking driver a big advantage during a race under the guise of making racing more exciting. He was more used to slugging it out and using his talent, rather than pressing a button on the steering wheel.

So to answer the question he probably won't win another championship or race if his situation doesn't improve, but that's not to say he's a poor driver, far from it. He's not as good as he was in his prime, but given the right car he could still compete for the title. Whether he gets the opportunity to do so or not is a different matter.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    No.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Michael Schumacher is treading unknown territory. What happens to a 42-year old in a formula-1 car, if they decide to compete for real?

The truth is, Schumacher was faster than Rosberg, during the race, at Canada, Silverstone, Nurburgring, and Hungaroring. He wasn't so fast in qualifying. Whisper it, but Schumacher is turning into a bit of a Prost in his old age.

Currently on race pace Schumacher is OK.

The funny thing is, and Martin Brundle cannot hide from this, however hard he tries, is that Jonathan Legard was right. Jonathan Legard predicted that Schumacher would be able to defend his position and pass and such, but would be slower in raw pace. Brundle predicted (he even pointed a finger) the exact opposite and he was wrong. Schumacher's dicing ability is better than ever, perhaps not surprising for such a champion. Statistically he is far and away the best driver on the first lap of a grand prix.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Legard was right and brundle was wrong

I don't like the guy, but whatever tbh
    • 36 followers

ReputationRep:
    He's out of retirement? this is news to me
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Schumacher)

He can't drive round a problem the way he used to. He seems to be unable to get to grips with the way the tyres perform on a modern car and as a consequence he seems to struggle with qualifying in particular. On the other hand, his starts tend to be excellent. More often than not you see the green box with ^4 or so beside his name after the first few laps but you could argue that's because he started from eighth or ninth.
    Well exactly, who is 5th or 6th?

Often Button or Massa or Alonso or somebody. Not crappy cars.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steeps)
    No, MS was famous for pushing a car to its limits the same way Alonso and Hamilton do, but the fact his non-race winning team-mate is almost running rings around the 7 times world champion and Mercedes are not throwing cash at the car, I can't see it happening.
    He isn't running rings around Schumacher. The truth is, Schumacher has been faster, during the race, for 4 of the last 5 races.

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: December 10, 2011
New on TSR

A-level mocks revision

Chat about your study tips

Article updates
Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered motorsport threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.