The Student Room Group
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website

What Is Freshers Week Like At Lincoln?

How have people found it in the past? Was it better or worse than you were expecting? Which clubs/events are best to go to? Do you think it's best to go out every night during freshers week? What is the best way to settle in and make friends? Do you still speak to the people you met in freshers week?
Reply 1
I went out every day in freshers and got ill at the end (partly because i overflowed my shower, flooded my room and the dampness didnt help towards being ill).

I dont talk to anyone i met with in freshers. (i lived with some of them for a year but dont talk to them now lol)
Students in halls, University of Lincoln
University of Lincoln
Lincoln
Visit website
Reply 2
All the main freshers week stuff goes on at engine shed, in the day it's the freshers fayres, sports and society fayres etc. Every night at engine shed there will be someone performing, zane lowe will be there as he is every year. Follow engine shed on facebook/twitter they're announcing the line up on the 16th, heard rumours there is going to be two weeks for freshers this year!

A new club called Tokyos is opening soon and they've got Calvin Harris doing a set when it opens, so im assuming during freshers theyre gonna want to rival engine shed so will put some decent nights on. Go out as much as you can, meet people and don't be scared to talk to people. Best advice for meeting people is to not prejudge, you will meet such a variety of people.

and avoid ritzys because its really ****.
Reply 3
Original post by HollieilloH
How have people found it in the past? Was it better or worse than you were expecting? Which clubs/events are best to go to? Do you think it's best to go out every night during freshers week? What is the best way to settle in and make friends? Do you still speak to the people you met in freshers week?

freshers week is really good at lincoln,
the Su have a group of helpers for freshers called 'frshers helpers' lol,
they help you with any queries you may have, help you to introduce you to each other in your flat, and show you the best places to go during freshers.

i am one this year so give me an add on facebook if you need any advice before fereshers.

i personally didnt really like my flatmates however 2 girls i met during freshers week are now my housemates for the second year running and we are really good friends,
however the majority of people you will not speak to regularly, however you will meet them again and its good to know a lot of people if not very well,

as the previous poster has said there is a new club opening called tokyo lincoln next year and they wil have nights during freshers week, but ignore what he has said about ritzys, even though it does get nicknamed ****zys you wont be able to stay away, cheap drinks and hundreds of people make it the place to be on a friday.

there are quite a few clubs aswell as the engine shed who have freshers nights, i didnt go to the engine shed during freshers week atall and opted to go everywhere else which i think was a good choice :biggrin:,

i went out most nights during freshers week but i did get ill after ' this illness you may have hear of reffered to as freshers flu' google it if you want to know more about it.

anyways essay over and if you want to know anything else then dont be afraid to add me on facebook.

ed lambeth
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by plusone
All the main freshers week stuff goes on at engine shed, in the day it's the freshers fayres, sports and society fayres etc. Every night at engine shed there will be someone performing, zane lowe will be there as he is every year. Follow engine shed on facebook/twitter they're announcing the line up on the 16th, heard rumours there is going to be two weeks for freshers this year!

A new club called Tokyos is opening soon and they've got Calvin Harris doing a set when it opens, so im assuming during freshers theyre gonna want to rival engine shed so will put some decent nights on. Go out as much as you can, meet people and don't be scared to talk to people. Best advice for meeting people is to not prejudge, you will meet such a variety of people.

and avoid ritzys because its really ****.

Unfortunately it's only one week as usual, confirmed by tutors. And i'd say you'd be right about Tokyo, but it's opening 26th August.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by edlambeth

i went out most nights during freshers week but i did get ill after ' this illness you may have hear of reffered to as freshers flu' google it if you want to know more about it.

Hope I don't get it, it's my birthday the next week! But I don't really drink, so hopefully it won't be a problem :tongue:
Original post by HollieilloH

It was alright I guess. Went to Walkabout on the first night, that was great, but went to Ritzy's a few days later and I hated it - tons of bottles (both intact and broken) on the floor, totally crowded and I had a bottle spilled all over me from behind so I wasn't best pleased.

It depends what sort of course you're doing and what course-related activities are planned for during that week as to whether it's best to go out every night. With me, I had lots of course-related activities during freshers so it was better for me to stay at the accommodation most nights. I probably went out about 3-4 nights max.

I'd say when you go to enrol and get your uni ID card, talk to the people that you're in the queue with, as that's how I met one of my closest friends. I speak to some of the people I met during freshers, but no-one I lived in courts for with as a few of them were dickheads and I moved out of there into Danesgate (where my friend lives) after a month and I feel so much better living there.

What I would say though is definitely go to the Societies/Sports Fayre and join some societies/sports teams, that's probably a good way to make friends. I didn't go last year as I had lots of course-related activities on but I wish I had now.
Reply 7
Original post by lozzyhickers
Unfortunately it's only one week as usual, confirmed by tutors. And i'd say you'd be right about Tokyo, but it's opening 26th August.

actually it will be 2 weeks as usual,
there is an official freshers week put on by the SU where you have no lectures or anything and then there is a second unofficial week of freshers put on by all the bars and clubs, there is like 1 lecture in the second week and so you are free to party for a second week.
Reply 8
Original post by HpFreak_Amy7192

What I would say though is definitely go to the Societies/Sports Fayre and join some societies/sports teams, that's probably a good way to make friends. I didn't go last year as I had lots of course-related activities on but I wish I had now.

i would definately suggest this, i joined my ultimate frisbee team at the refreshers fair (it was my idea that i put forward to the SU prezident) aabout half way through the year, and it has been my best time at uni in 2 years, so yeah definateley join a society or a team,
come and say hello to the ultimate frisbee stand at the freshers fair aswell :biggrin:
Reply 9
Hey there,
Glad you've chosen to come to Lincoln, it's such a great place.
Im about to go into my fourth and final year, so this is going to be my fourth freshers week.
If i could give you one word of advice, is NOT to do the engine shed every night. Depending on who's playing ofcourse. If zane lowe and greg james are back then make sure you get those tickets because they are incredible! (they played last 2 years) :smile:
But seriously, try out some different places. for example;

Sunday : Icebreaker @ The Engine Shed (it's a great way to start)
Monday: Mustard @ Sakura (Cheap and Cheerful Drinks, Good Club)
Tuesday : Dogma & Pounded @ Ritzys (a student favourite :wink: )
Wednesday: Fever Pitch @ Engine Shed
Thursday : Wahoo ( its a new club and has proved popular)
Friday: Superbull @ Pulse (just above Ritzys. £1 for Vodka Redbul)
Saturday: Up @ Engine Shed

Hope you enjoy, no matter what you decide to do :smile:!

Benn!
Original post by edlambeth
actually it will be 2 weeks as usual,
there is an official freshers week put on by the SU where you have no lectures or anything and then there is a second unofficial week of freshers put on by all the bars and clubs, there is like 1 lecture in the second week and so you are free to party for a second week.

WellI was talking about official freshers time, which this year is still one week. I think that's what the poster was referring to.
Freshers week is pretty good. I would go to all different clubs although i would avoid Ritzy's on Tuesday of the first week though as it is so packed and you will be queuing most of the time. Zane Lowe is brilliant and that's something you have to go to.

Quick Reply