The Student Room Group

London Southwark, is it really that bad?

(edited 12 years ago)
You've never been to London and you're about to spend years there? :lolwut:

You're in for a surprise.

Don't get me wrong, London can be lovely - I'm going to spend probably the next two decades at least there.

But I wouldn't think it'd be to everyone's taste.
Reply 2
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
You've never been to London and you're about to spend years there? :lolwut:

You're in for a surprise.

Don't get me wrong, London can be lovely - I'm going to spend probably the next two decades at least there.

But I wouldn't think it'd be to everyone's taste.

I think thats kind of what everyone does when they go to uni.
I'd consider doing it again with any location or country for the experience.
I'd never been to Kent before and I've spent 2 years there, will be 3 next year :smile:

Although OP if you've got some silly romantic notions about london, prepare to have them shattered :smile:
Original post by Athena21
I think thats kind of what everyone does when they go to uni.
I'd consider doing it again with any location or country for the experience.
I'd never been to Kent before and I've spent 2 years there, will be 3 next year :smile:

Although OP if you've got some silly romantic notions about london, prepare to have them shattered :smile:

I can't understand why you'd take the risk of applying to somewhere you might turn out to hate and be stuck there for years :lolwut:
Reply 4
Elephant & castle is bad. Southwark is quite bad, waterloo is fine.
Reply 5
Hey there,
I live in Waterloo but pass through Elephant and Castle daily.

The area's are not too bad.

- Good transport links into Central,Camden,Euston,Holborn etc (lots of buses and Bakerloo line and Northern Line)
- Lots of small shops around both area's incl lots of food shops.

I've been living in Waterloo since I was born, honestly from my view it isn't bad, the problem with Elephant and Castle and i've seen it more recently within the last few years is, thats there's too many hoodrats, tramps and drunks around the area's, especially at night and its kinda annoying now and again but tbh it shouldn't affect your stay.

If you have any questions just quote/PM me. :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Aspiringlawstudent
I can't understand why you'd take the risk of applying to somewhere you might turn out to hate and be stuck there for years :lolwut:

Well you wouldn't be stuck there as you can transfer to a different uni if you really want.

I liked the risk...I don't understand people who won't do something because of "what if I hate it" mentality. What if you love it?
If you don't try you don't know :smile:
Reply 7
(edited 12 years ago)
TBH Borough/London Bridge/Waterloo are all perfectly fine, nice and relatively safe areas. Spent quite a bit of time around there since im going to King's College for Medicine so i'm based at guy's.

Yes E & C is pretty rough but as with any area if you keep your wits about you and use some sense i'm sure it'll be fine :smile:
Original post by cebs
Nothing romantic, but I thought that it was much better than Rome. :biggrin:

I didn't have a choice. I have bad grades and only LSBU accepted me (yeah I know it's a bad university). I am going to London not only for academic reasons but also for personal ones, I hope to start a "new life" since I currently have many problems.

Thanks, I guess that at night it would be better to go around with someone that knows the area. :biggrin:
Anyway since I live in the accomodation I should be safe, except from the other students (I've read some surprising stories! :eek:).

That's also true. With this thread I was trying to learn more about the area but the main reason is to make my mother less worried. :biggrin:

Here's a map of some of the murders in London http://www.murdermap.co.uk/murder-map.asp

There aren't too many in Southwark.
E&C is grim.
I grew up in Elephant and Castle, jk I've heard abt it and it's getting gentrified a fair amount so all the council tenants are being forced elsewhere.

Quick Reply

Latest