The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website

New student-TU100 October 2011.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BigBadBazza
Hi Rob, I am fascinated by ubiquitous computing. One of the main reasons I'm doing my degree, I just find the integration of technology into everyday activities amazing.

Are you studying towards a degree yourself? What are your aims?

Re ubicomp: yes it facinates me too.
Its all rather Star Trekish and Minority Reportish but thats the way it should be making lives easier
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Visit website
Reply 21
Hi BBB,

I'm going to see how it goes with TU100 and then potentially go on to study towards the full degree. It all depends on how much I enjoy it, how difficult I find it and how much time it will take!
Reply 22
Original post by robbierobot
Hi BBB,
Yes I am studying for an BSc(Hons) in IT & Computing.
I intend to use the knowledge gained plus the recognition of the degree to run my own business again.
I already host websites, build websites and generally fix pc/laptop/technology problems for people.
I am aiming for a first class honours degree but we will see how well I do.
My interest in IT all started from having built my first website for my previous business using a basic html book and an index finger. Got a call from a guy in the US looking to do some business and the rest is history.

Impressive stuff mate :smile: Glad to hear you're working in an area you've obviously got a strong interest in!

I (rather stupidly) have got my heart set on a first class honours degree as well, here's to hoping for both of us!

Would love to get into web design as a little side venture, teaching myself HTML as we speak with that in mind... seem to have a fair bit in common :borat:

Any particular route planned for your degree Rob?
Reply 23
Original post by Jilojang
Hi BBB,

I'm going to see how it goes with TU100 and then potentially go on to study towards the full degree. It all depends on how much I enjoy it, how difficult I find it and how much time it will take!

Good stuff, I personally think you've chosen a good course to get your feet wet. Seems to me like a good balance of creative stuff mixed with head scratching stuff! Hopefully you'll be in it for the long haul! I hope to complete the full computing and IT degree (hons) in 4 years.
Reply 24
@ Jilojang - Just out of interest, have you got any previous experience in IT? Would like to get an idea of the experience people have that are enrolling on these courses :smile:
Reply 25
@ Jilojang - Just out of interest, have you got any previous experience in IT? Would like to get an idea of the experience people have that are enrolling on these courses :smile:

I'm not registered for TU100 but I did the previous modules (M150 and T175) and many students had hardly any computer experience before they started the modules. The past experience on most courses varies a lot - on mine it ranged all the way from IT professionals who had been in the business for 20 years but needed a degree to move to better jobs to people in their 60s who had very minimal experience of using computers.
Reply 26
Original post by Kate.
I'm not registered for TU100 but I did the previous modules (M150 and T175) and many students had hardly any computer experience before they started the modules. The past experience on most courses varies a lot - on mine it ranged all the way from IT professionals who had been in the business for 20 years but needed a degree to move to better jobs to people in their 60s who had very minimal experience of using computers.

Hi Kate, thanks for the info. I've seen one of your posts in another thread, your doing a degree in computing as well iirc? How are your studies going? Any tips?
Reply 27

Hi Baz,

I don't have much computing experience really. I did do a computing A-level where I learnt a bit of Java, but that was 7 years ago now and I think I have now forgotten it all!

I came to a bit of a crossroads when choosing my undergrad degree, and I ended up falling into genetics! I really enjoyed that course and am now working as a scientist, but I thought I would like to explore the alternative road and see where it leads!

I am competent with using computers, but as far as experience with programming goes, I don't have much!

How about you?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 28
Hi Kate, thanks for the info. I've seen one of your posts in another thread, your doing a degree in computing as well iirc? How are your studies going? Any tips?

It's going fine thanks, bit bored at the moment as I've not got much to do until TM128 starts in October, then I'll be overwhelmed in February when my first two level 3s start, haha. Stay on top of your deadlines & keep organised! :smile:
Reply 29
Original post by Kate.
It's going fine thanks, bit bored at the moment as I've not got much to do until TM128 starts in October, then I'll be overwhelmed in February when my first two level 3s start, haha. Stay on top of your deadlines & keep organised! :smile:

:-) will do! So you're going to be doing 3 courses at once? Is that a first for you or have you done it before? As I've said before I'm hoping to complete the degree in 4 years so will be doing 3 courses at once pretty much all the time! :-(
Reply 30
:-) will do! So you're going to be doing 3 courses at once? Is that a first for you or have you done it before? As I've said before I'm hoping to complete the degree in 4 years so will be doing 3 courses at once pretty much all the time! :-(

Yep, same - I did 90 points first year, 90 points this year & will be doing 90 points next year (well, from October this year). Then 60 points in my final year (had 30 credits transferred from brick uni).
Reply 31
Original post by Kate.
Yep, same - I did 90 points first year, 90 points this year & will be doing 90 points next year (well, from October this year). Then 60 points in my final year (had 30 credits transferred from brick uni).

Impressive stuff :-) how have you been finding it? And if you don't mind me asking are you working at the moment?
Reply 32
Impressive stuff :-) how have you been finding it? And if you don't mind me asking are you working at the moment?

It's been fine, not had any problems! I get bored when I have gaps between modules. I've worked full time since I started studying with the OU.
Reply 33
Original post by Kate.
It's been fine, not had any problems! I get bored when I have gaps between modules. I've worked full time since I started studying with the OU.

My hat goes off to you dude... you should be very proud of yourself! :-) That was my main concern when signing up, that I may not be able to juggle 120 points a year and work. Nice to hear it can be done! And completely agree with getting bored when you have gaps between modules, got a feeling I'm gonna be exactly the same! Can't wait to get started :-)
My hat goes off to you dude... you should be very proud of yourself! :-) That was my main concern when signing up, that I may not be able to juggle 120 points a year and work. Nice to hear it can be done! And completely agree with getting bored when you have gaps between modules, got a feeling I'm gonna be exactly the same! Can't wait to get started :-)

Go Kate!
Reply 35
Hey I'm doing this course also. Why am I bricking it??

Havent studied since my GCSE's in 2004
Reply 36
Original post by Mullet52

You'll be fine :wink: Don't worry too much. The first bits of L1's are designed to get you back in to study after a break.

Hi Chris,
I gave someone else some advice in another forum and its quite straightforward.
Don't delay in getting down to the study, keep studying at least once a day and make sure you submit your TMA's on time.

You quote that you haven't studied since 2004?
I have only taken one other OU course (last year) and the last time I studied prior to that was 1973!
If I can do it you will have no probs at all I'm sure.

The thing to realise on this particular course is that no-one has taken this course before and we are all in the same boat.
All the best to you.
Cheers.
Reply 38

Welcome aboard dude! Don't worry, I'm bricking it as well mate... you're not the only one. As Moggs said, the level 1 courses ease you in slowly. Apparently! Feel free to contact me if you get stuck with anything and if I can help I will :smile:

Are you studying towards a particular degree?
Original post by one3two6
Here's a great article about an information day regarding TU100 the OU held in Milton Keynes. Reading this has really got me excited about doing the course, looks great.

http://petebell.com/?p=175

As posted above the link takes you to further information about the course we are all embarking on.

If you haven't already done it click on the 'Sense' link which takes you to another page.

Click on the 'sense installation' link where there is a short video (with loud annoying music) showing a student taking the senseboard out of its packaging and looking at it.

It lets us get a closer look at the thing.

Cheers.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest