The Student Room Group
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes

New student-TU100 October 2011.

Hi all,

As the title reads, I have recently registered for my first module with the OU :smile: I'm going to be studying towards an IT and computing degree (hons) and my first module will be TU100. So if anyone else is registered for TU100 this october, feel free to introduce yourselves :smile:

I've been browsing this forum for about a week now and after seeing the kind support of many of the users, felt compelled to join!

So hello everyone! I should be here for the next few years if all goes well, I look forward to getting to know you all.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by BigBadBazza
Hi all,

As the title reads, I have recently registered for my first module with the OU :smile: I'm going to be studying towards an IT and computing degree (hons) and my first module will be TU100. So if anyone else is registered for TU100 this october, feel free to introduce yourselves :smile:

I've been browsing this forum for about a week now and after seeing the kind support of many of the users, felt compelled to join!

So hello everyone! I should be here for the next few years if all goes well, I look forward to getting to know you all.

I have no idea about that course personally, but welcome aboard :smile:

Looking forward to it? That's a new course a far as I understand.
Student at the Open University
Open University
Milton Keynes
Reply 2
Original post by Moggs
I have no idea about that course personally, but welcome aboard :smile:

Looking forward to it? That's a new course a far as I understand.

Yeah, really looking forward to it. I am aiming to complete my degree in about 3 years, so it's going to be hard work.... but can't wait to get started.

I think it's actually the first run for this course, but have heard it's a sort of combination of 2 previous courses.

Are you currently studying? If so, how's it going?
Reply 3
Yeah, really looking forward to it. I am aiming to complete my degree in about 3 years, so it's going to be hard work.... but can't wait to get started.

I think it's actually the first run for this course, but have heard it's a sort of combination of 2 previous courses.

Are you currently studying? If so, how's it going?

Yeah, I'm trying to get through the engineering undergrad degree at the moment. I'm just about mid way through now, coming to the end of the first half of year two.

Like you, I aimed to get it done in three years, though it seems to have turned in to four. The modules are in my sig in the first reply. I doubt we'll have much overlap there, but if there is anything or you have any questions etc, feel free to say any time. :smile:

Someone was asking about TU100 earlier in the year iirc, and nobody had the answer. I'd be interested to hear how you find it.

Are you in straight from A-levels?
Reply 4
Original post by Moggs
Yeah, I'm trying to get through the engineering undergrad degree at the moment. I'm just about mid way through now, coming to the end of the first half of year two.

Like you, I aimed to get it done in three years, though it seems to have turned in to four. The modules are in my sig in the first reply. I doubt we'll have much overlap there, but if there is anything or you have any questions etc, feel free to say any time. :smile:

Someone was asking about TU100 earlier in the year iirc, and nobody had the answer. I'd be interested to hear how you find it.

Are you in straight from A-levels?

Cheers for that mate, appreciate it. Will definitely try and stay active in this forum and share my experiences so people can get a bit of insight into the courses I take. Best of luck with your studies! :smile:

I wish I were coming straight from A levels! Unfortunately that was quite a while ago for me and I didn't have the (for lack of a better word) "brain" I have now :colondollar: I left school straight after GCSEs and went into work. Though, over the last 3 years I have been doing a few NVQs, so I am quite familiar with distance learning.... Just nowhere near this level.

Any tips for a new guy?
Reply 5
Hey BBB,

Im starting TU100 in Oct also. Im hoping to get the Cert in Computing and IT and go on to do a Natural Sciences degree, using the points from TU100 as the free choice element. There is a facebook group up and running that has 50+ members.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/121297797948355/
Reply 6
I am considering this course (to start in January) so would be grateful for any comments that people make on it. I am umming and ahhing between TU100, S104 and AA100 as I need one of them if I am going to continue with an Open degree (and I know the 3 are vastly different!).
Reply 7
Original post by one3two6
Hey BBB,

Im starting TU100 in Oct also. Im hoping to get the Cert in Computing and IT and go on to do a Natural Sciences degree, using the points from TU100 as the free choice element. There is a facebook group up and running that has 50+ members.

http://www.facebook.com/groups/121297797948355/

Cheers for the link mate, unfortunately I am 1 of 5 people left in the world that do not have a facebook account! :smile:

Looking forward to the course?
Reply 8
Original post by MC2705
I am considering this course (to start in January) so would be grateful for any comments that people make on it. I am umming and ahhing between TU100, S104 and AA100 as I need one of them if I am going to continue with an Open degree (and I know the 3 are vastly different!).

Sure thing dude. As I said I'm not starting until October, but as soon as I have done a bit of work I'll post a reply giving you my impressions of the module. It does look very interesting, especially with the software/hardware bundle you get to play with :smile:
Reply 9
Playing around with this senseboard thingy is the main reason I am interested in the course. :biggrin: I like gadgets. :biggrin:
Hi...also a new student started the TU100 course in October 2011.

Have just completed the M150 course and was going to do the T175 but thats finished so onto TU100.

Its going to be interesting!
Reply 11
Original post by robbierobot
Hi...also a new student started the TU100 course in October 2011.

Have just completed the M150 course and was going to do the T175 but thats finished so onto TU100.

Its going to be interesting!

Looks like it is! I should imagine you've covered quite a bit of the course content as I'm sure M150 is one of the courses that has been merged into TU100. You may have a head start! :smile:

Here's a couple of videos I found regarding the Senseboard/Sense software. Have a little look:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgn4Ln47lM8
TU100: Sense and the SenseBoard, a guided tour of the SenseBoard

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmYS1slSUuM&feature=related
TU100: Sense and the SenseBoard, an introduction

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gcG5UuYZZk&feature=related
TU100: Sense and the SenseBoard, a VU Meter

Enjoy! :smile:
Hi BBB
Yes, I have seen those online videos and have scoured net for as much info as possible on TU100.
The course mentions ubiquitous computing so have bought a book on this by Alan Greenfield. Its a bit out of date, ancient by IT standards, 1996, but interesting none the less.
M150 was the hardest thing I have done since being at school and I left there in 1973 but I was pleased with my scores.
Reply 13
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting TU100 in October too!

Should be good. I've not studied with the OU before so it will be a completely new experience.
Hi Jilojang
Best advice for OU study.
Don't leave studying the blocks/units till the last minute.
A bit of study every day is better and less stressful.
Cheers
Rob
Reply 15
Here's a great article about an information day regarding TU100 the OU held in Milton Keynes. Reading this has really got me excited about doing the course, looks great.

http://petebell.com/?p=175
Reply 16
Original post by one3two6
Here's a great article about an information day regarding TU100 the OU held in Milton Keynes. Reading this has really got me excited about doing the course, looks great.

http://petebell.com/?p=175

Hey dude, excellent article you found there... thanks a lot for that! Has really got me excited as well.

Sorry to all who have posted in this thread recently, haven't been able to reply as I've been working solidly for the last week. But finally worked out how to post from my phone! :-)

Anyway, hello to all of you who are starting TU100 in Oct! Nice to be in touch with fellow students. Feel free to keep in touch as the course progresses, hopefully we can help each other out where needed.
Reply 17
Original post by robbierobot
Hi BBB
Yes, I have seen those online videos and have scoured net for as much info as possible on TU100.
The course mentions ubiquitous computing so have bought a book on this by Alan Greenfield. Its a bit out of date, ancient by IT standards, 1996, but interesting none the less.
M150 was the hardest thing I have done since being at school and I left there in 1973 but I was pleased with my scores.

Hi Rob, I am fascinated by ubiquitous computing. One of the main reasons I'm doing my degree, I just find the integration of technology into everyday activities amazing.

Are you studying towards a degree yourself? What are your aims?
Reply 18
Original post by Jilojang
Hi everyone,

I'm going to be starting TU100 in October too!

Should be good. I've not studied with the OU before so it will be a completely new experience.

Hi Jilojang, me and you both mate! You going for a degree or just a one off course? Looks like a really interesting course, loving the fact that we're going to be experimenting and creating right from the word go! :-)
Hi Rob, I am fascinated by ubiquitous computing. One of the main reasons I'm doing my degree, I just find the integration of technology into everyday activities amazing.

Are you studying towards a degree yourself? What are your aims?

Hi BBB,
Yes I am studying for an BSc(Hons) in IT & Computing.
I intend to use the knowledge gained plus the recognition of the degree to run my own business again.
I already host websites, build websites and generally fix pc/laptop/technology problems for people.
I am aiming for a first class honours degree but we will see how well I do.
My interest in IT all started from having built my first website for my previous business using a basic html book and an index finger. Got a call from a guy in the US looking to do some business and the rest is history.

Quick Reply

Latest