The Student Room Group

The best illustration university courses?

Just wondering if anyone has any advice on which Universities offer the best courses for Illustration starting in 2012?
Reply 1
i've heard really good things about Bournemouth arts, Bristol UWE and Portsmouth. i don't think you have to rely on whats academically good when it comes to any fine art or illustration degree, but what is going to fit your needs best. have a look around, meet the people you'd be learning from and guiding you, thats the best way to find what uni is right for you!
Reply 2
Everything what sdwsj91 said!

Also, look at the modules. All courses differ and some might not be suited to you. For example, not all Universities teach technique. If this is something you want to learn, make sure it's in the course!
Reply 3
I find that the schools that teach illustrative techniques are not the best schools and they're not necessarily at a degree level. Technique building isn't a formal criteria since anyone can learn painting techniques outside of an academic institution. Usually Foundation degrees are a great way to learn basic techniques with various materials which leads you into more experimentation.
At least that's what I was told. Correct me if I'm wrong. :smile:

I think University of the Arts is the best school for all kinds of creative arts including illustration, fashion and graphic design. It's split up into 6 campuses. Illustration programs are courses are offered at Camberwell and LCC. From my impression of the school, they have amazingly talented graduates. Camberwell is more fine arts it seems. Most of the students there seem to experiment with print making and traditional illustration.

LCC feels more of a graphic design school. It is but the courses are changing every time I check up so now they have illustration programs to lean towards graphic design and print techniques.

I think they are the best courses based on some of the research I've done and because I want to apply there as well heehee.

Brighton is also a good option because if you want a streamlined education you can get your full masters in 4 years! :smile: I'm from Canada, so normally a bachelor degree is 4 years long! Sounds awesome to me. Not sure if that's the same for you British folk.
Reply 4
Original post by quellebelle
I find that the schools that teach illustrative techniques are not the best schools and they're not necessarily at a degree level. Technique building isn't a formal criteria since anyone can learn painting techniques outside of an academic institution. Usually Foundation degrees are a great way to learn basic techniques with various materials which leads you into more experimentation.

I think University of the Arts is the best school for all kinds of creative arts including illustration, fashion and graphic design. It's split up into 6 campuses. Illustration programs are courses are offered at Camberwell and LCC. From my impression of the school, they have amazingly talented graduates. Camberwell is more fine arts it seems. Most of the students there seem to experiment with print making and traditional illustration.

LCC feels more of a graphic design school. It is but the courses are changing every time I check up so now they have illustration programs to lean towards graphic design and print techniques.

I think they are the best courses based on some of the research I've done and because I want to apply there as well heehee.

Brighton is also a good option because if you want a streamlined education you can get your full masters in 4 years! :smile: I'm from Canada, so normally a bachelor degree is 4 years long! Sounds awesome to me. Not sure if that's the same for you British folk.

In Britain a Masters degree is one year and a Bachelors is three, so four years is usual to get a Masters degree, though they are usually separate courses.

Can't add much else to what you said though, make sure you research carefully OP. Reputation isn't the only thing you should be concerned with. Something exceptionally important in Arts degrees is the syllabus - what exactly will you be doing? Go and look at the uni and department and meet the staff if you can :smile:
Reply 5

Hmm, I've heard quite a few bad things from UCA schools. Mainly people only going there through clearing as a last minute option :/ But this is only what I've heard. As for Camberwell and LCC? Apparently like most (if not all) of the UAL colleges they are riding on nothing but reputation. I did consider applying to Camberwel but decided against it as I could go somewhere better and not have to deal with the high cost of living in London.

Honestly, the best thing to do is look into different unis, look at the modules and stuff like student satisfaction surveys. Once you've picked a few that seem right, visit them on an open day so you can check out the city, facilities, tutors and general atmosphere yourself.
Reply 6

I totally get what quellebelle is saying but illustration is all about narratives through imagery. you learn to become an artist/designer/illustrator through life experiences and this is how you develop your own style.
Yes you could easily sit at home if you wanted to and just draw for 2 hours a day after a 9 hour shift at a 9-5 office job but i personally don't think you would benefit from this, not in the same way you would from practice alongside other young aspiring artists and illustrators as well as veterans in the industry.

the university, like i said is all about YOUR surroundings and what makes you feel creative.

go get em!
Reply 7
awesome, thank you dear sdwsj91 :smile: I totally agree with you, you do need space and time to develop yourself as an artist professionally, and I say this with my in the past trying to balance an office work with 2 - 3 hours a day - eventually if you are serious about your work you need to dedicate yourself fully to this.

hugs

Quick Reply

Latest