The Student Room Group

Buying my first car

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Sazzle4
This time last year I passed my test and bought an 04, 1 litre, silver, 5 door Corsa with 35,000 on the clock (46,000 now as I drive a lot for work!) which set me back £3,500.
As a female over 25 I got my insurance for just under £1,000. I'll end up paying more this year as I did have a small accident/claim two weeks after my test :frown: But what I would say is that this car has been perfect for me.
I'm 5"6 and prefer cars with plenty of glass at the back so I can see well when reversing which I find is good in the Corsa. It's comfortable, plenty of boot space and has been reliable and not ridiculous to insure. Remembe that despite the boy-racers in Black Corsas, it's also a common choice as a driving instructors car.
For £2,500 you don't need to end up with a banger, you just might need to have a good look around.

Corsas have awful rear visibility! Especially the model you're talking about with the rear lights in the pillars - it leaves you with massive blindspots - far bigger than in cars with slimmer rear pillars. Modern cars in general have horrible rear visibility - actually bad visibility in general compared to old cars (pre 90's). My Dad's 2007 Astra is particularly bad - I've almost had accidents several times turning right out of side roads because you can hide entire cars coming from the left (including big 4x4s) in the blind spot behind the near side A-pillar - which is truly awful. Almost against logic, my old Land Rover Defender 110 (huge tank) had much, much better visibility than almost any other car I've driven because of the sheer amount of glass (12 separate windows) and slim pillars.
Reply 21
Original post by Sabrinified
Corsas have a bad reputation as boy racer cars so you may find your insurance quotes will be warped.
It's your first car, you're gonna have a few bumps and scratches but you'll learn to love it- don't be afraid to buy a 1.0 engine or an old banger because chances are you'll only have it for a couple of years.
A few easy to insure and reliable cars are the old citroen range, old peugeots, old nissans and old vauxhalls. Just check that it has power steering and ideally factory fitted security (immobiliser or similar)

I would never recommend a 1.0l car to anybody. They are incredibly underpowered so you have no quick acceleration should you need it. Also, small engines have to be worked very hard just to maintain higher cruising speeds, thus ruining your chances of achieving the high MPG figures that come with these cars.
Reply 22
Corsa's are good but look at other cars too such as a old shape Clio, KA or even a micra! They are all reliable and you never know the insurance might be cheaper! :smile:
I have a brand new Clio as my first car and I love it! :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 23
Original post by loz957
I would never recommend a 1.0l car to anybody. They are incredibly underpowered so you have no quick acceleration should you need it. Also, small engines have to be worked very hard just to maintain higher cruising speeds, thus ruining your chances of achieving the high MPG figures that come with these cars.

I agree don't buy a 1.0 they are incredibly slow! :smile:
Original post by loz957

In the first 2 years of driving you'd never need that power... a friend of mine has a 1.0 and I've never noticed it being sluggish or slow. If anything it's a nicer ride because he has more control. But as a long term car I agree you'd be mad to settle for anything under a 1.3.
Reply 25
I got a peugeot 106. It was only £350 and I've had no problems with it for 1.5 years now.. :tongue:
(Don't laugh at my old banger!)

Saying goodbye to it when I go to uni though.
Reply 26
Original post by k3ro
I got a peugeot 106. It was only £350 and I've had no problems with it for 1.5 years now.. :tongue:
(Don't laugh at my old banger!)

Saying goodbye to it when I go to uni though.

In comparison to my first car, thats brand spankin' new :tongue:
Mine was a 1985 reg 1.0 VW Polo in white. Calling it a turd would have been a compliment. That was a real banger! Decided to flog it in favour of a motorbike to take to Uni.

Only redeeming feature was the fact the insurance was only £700, and as a male who had just passed his test with 0 years no claims discount, it was worth it :wink:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Emma:-)
Its not always black ones they go for. Corsas are sometimes seen boy racer cars in general, no matter what colour they are.

have you ever run an online insurance quote? despite being awful cars corsas are amongst the cheapest cars to insure because they have a low insurance group (which determines how high the premium is) :rolleyes:
Reply 28
Original post by matt_rf
In comparison to my first car, thats brand spankin' new :tongue:
Mine was a 1985 reg 1.0 VW Polo in white. Calling it a turd would have been a compliment. That was a real banger! Decided to flog it in favour of a motorbike to take to Uni.

Only redeeming feature was the fact the insurance was only £700, and as a male who had just passed his test with 0 years no claims discount, it was worth it :wink:

LOL. Now I feel privileged to own my car. :wink: Mine is 13 years old.. I thought that was old but yours is practically double it. XD I'll be sad to leave it in September!
Reply 29
Original post by loz957

Depends what you are doing with it, if you mainly drive on your own it might not be too bad. And keep to about 65/70 on the motorway.

You shouldn't ever really need quick acceleration if you anticipate well. I'd imagine quick acceleration causes a lot more accidents than it prevents!
Original post by CalmDownMrRooney
have you ever run an online insurance quote? despite being awful cars corsas are amongst the cheapest cars to insure because they have a low insurance group (which determines how high the premium is) :rolleyes:

They may have a low insurance group, but so have cars such as micras, puntos, scientos, clios etc (i shud know because ive owned both a punto and a micra). But with young drivers, the fact that they have a low insurance group doesnt make that much difference, they are all cars that are common with young grivers, so the insurance on them will be high, as there are more of them involved in crashes etc. And yes, Ive got plenty of different quotes for different cars, so i have got an idea of which are cheaper than others

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending