Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

The Amazon Kindle craze

Announcements Posted on
Applying to Uni? Let Universities come to you. Click here to get your perfect place 20-10-2014
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's not completely true, my dad's just bought one and he's in love with it. It's the same kind of think with music, as books get older the price drops. This rarely happens with books in a book shop. You also get classic books and some others for something like 79p.

However I'm not really a fan, as I like the feeling of having books, looking at their covers and displaying them in bookshelves. Also books on kindles have no page numbers. :/
    • 11 followers

ReputationRep:
    If I want to buy a book that's more expensive as an eBook, I'll buy the physical book. Having a Kindle doesn't prevent me buying paper boooks.

But with the Kindle I've been able to read plenty of classics for free (currently working my way through Crime and Punishment, with Les Misérables next in line), I've been able to read modern fiction just as comfortably as with paper (since if I'm buying a book to read on a long journey it wasn't going to be a fine hardback anyway), and since I have the 3G Kindle it's meant I've had internet access on the go for free, which has been a lifesaver while my laptop was being repaired (in Berlin).
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DYKWIA)
    Would you say that if you bought the physical book that gives you the right to go out and photocopy it and give copies to all your friends? No, of course not! When you buy a book you are essentially buying a single copy of the book in that format. You are entitled to ONE copy. If you want two copies of the book then you buy two - you wouldn't steal the second copy. It is immaterial as to how much it costs to manufacture the physical media.
    I would say no but that is a different kettle of fish. What I'm saying is comparable to me buying a book, photocopying it/scanning it into my computer and then reading the photocopy whilst the real book is in my bookshelf.

With the price of kindle books often being above the price of the paperback, it does make me wonder what all the money is going toward. Its not contributing to any raw materials, manufacturing processes or transport and yet you pay more for something which would already be in a digital format :confused:

Like I said earlier, a subscription service which allows you to buy a physical book and a digital copy for a small premium would make much more sense and would be reasonable. I'd be willing to pay for the convenience of not having to download it illegally and the publishers would still be making decent money as I would have to buy a paper-copy to get the digital one.

To be fair I don't have a kindle anyway. Part of the very reason is their strange marketing and pricing which makes a digital copy more expensive or the same price as the paperback
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Would you say that if you bought the physical book that gives you the right to go out and photocopy it and give copies to all your friends? No, of course not! When you buy a book you are essentially buying a single copy of the book in that format. You are entitled to ONE copy. If you want two copies of the book then you buy two - you wouldn't steal the second copy. It is immaterial as to how much it costs to manufacture the physical media.

Read above. You are not entitled to a digital copy of the book.

Note that you are buying something when you get an ebook! You are buying a digital copy of the book. You get all the same words etc, just without the tree the book was printed on.
    i see where you are coming from but if the ebook is equal in price or higher which it often is then its all about value for money and dont patronise me i acknowledged your point no need to reiterate it!!!! If you read i said i know the difference.
    • 16 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cornish student)
    I would say no but that is a different kettle of fish. What I'm saying is comparable to me buying a book, photocopying it/scanning it into my computer and then reading the photocopy whilst the real book is in my bookshelf.

With the price of kindle books often being above the price of the paperback, it does make me wonder what all the money is going toward. Its not contributing to any raw materials, manufacturing processes or transport and yet you pay more for something which would already be in a digital format :confused:

Like I said earlier, a subscription service which allows you to buy a physical book and a digital copy for a small premium would make much more sense and would be reasonable. I'd be willing to pay for the convenience of not having to download it illegally and the publishers would still be making decent money as I would have to buy a paper-copy to get the digital one.

To be fair I don't have a kindle anyway. Part of the very reason is their strange marketing and pricing which makes a digital copy more expensive or the same price as the paperback
    The reason for this 'strange marketing' is because publishers are worried about what ereaders might do to the market. They want to avoid a repeat of the music industry fiasco. With a digital book part of the price goes towards the development of new ereaders (they are very cheap now, I forsee in a few years that they will be free, with ads) and of course back to the publisher/author.

(Original post by contra mundum)
    i see where you are coming from but if the ebook is equal in price or higher which it often is then its all about value for money and dont patronise me i acknowledged your point no need to reiterate it!!!! If you read i said i know the difference.
    All I am saying is that buying a physical hard copy doesn't entitle you to a digital one, in the same way that buying a digital copy doesn't entitle you to a hard copy.
    • 2 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Perhaps I am leading some freakish secluded life in my backward world of Kindlelessness, but I honestly cannot think of any point in my life to date at which I have required 10,000 books.
    Then you clearly haven't lived!

My point was just that you can carry quite a few books in something so small, so if you were travelling or something and/or needed to look up things it would be so much easier. Sounds like a good idea for uni, especially if you can use it to 'find' words! (I don't own a Kindle so I don't know if it does that, but god it would make it so much easier to find passages that you are looking for...
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    The reason for this 'strange marketing' is because publishers are worried about what ereaders might do to the market. They want to avoid a repeat of the music industry fiasco. With a digital book part of the price goes towards the development of new ereaders (they are very cheap now, I forsee in a few years that they will be free, with ads) and of course back to the publisher/author.

All I am saying is that buying a physical hard copy doesn't entitle you to a digital one, in the same way that buying a digital copy doesn't entitle you to a hard copy.
    again i know no need to reiterate your point

but i will say AGAIN I feel as though it does or at least it should
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm considering getting a Kindle/Nook.
    It'll definitely beat carrying a backpack full of textbooks around.

Ebook textbooks are cheaper than paperback textbooks and can even be borrowed for a steeper discount. And not that I'm encouraging it, but you could probably torrent a lot of textbooks nowadays also.
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    I suppose its true. Its relatively new territory for everyone in the buisness so they don't want to make rash decisions. However, its a bit late to go back now, especially with digital consumer demand. Maybe everything we are discussing right now is planned to be trialled.

The cyber-walls have ears :eyeball:
    • 7 followers

ReputationRep:
    One word. Torrent. Kindles are amazing. Any book you want.
    • 71 followers

ReputationRep:
    I personally like it because actually I find most of my books cost less than a pound (I also exclusively read old 'classics') so there's no expense there and I can carry around so many. Yes, I don't read more than one at once but, for example, I am in America on a road trip now & I can buy a couple of books I felt like reading but didn't bring with me on a whim, when I want to relax - which is great! Also saves room in the case. I especially like the fact I can search - I'm one of those annoying people who like to incessantly quote from books or more often poetry at moments I find appropriate & my friends do not; I can quickly look up a passage if I get stuck on it. Being able to carry all of TS Eliot and Shakespeare around in my school bag along with whatever Lit texts I have to read and something for the bus ride is worth a hell of a lot of money. I do actually almost exclusively read actual paperbacks at home, but I'm such a bibliophile I have need for a kindle as well!
    • 4 followers

ReputationRep:
    Yeah i don't get it either. I prefer feeling the actual pages in my hand rather than moving your finger on a screen.
    But also, i don't have the money so i don't have a choice anyway
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Nothing beats the look and feel of a real book.
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valmonte)
    Nothing beats the look and feel of a real book.
    But the Kobo is only like £45 now :O
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DirtyRotten)
    I don't get it.

You pay over £100 for the actual device and then the downloadable books cost either the same or MORE THAN the paperback versions!

Are people really that desperate to throw away their money? My sister was like, "but you get to carry thousands of books around with you!" Yeah, brilliant, but who actually ever reads more than one book at a time?

Call me sentimental, but I like having a bookshelf filled with all of the books that I've read over the years in my bedroom.

Does anyone have one/disagree that they're a waste of money?
    I agreed with this when they first came out, I thought they were ever so pointless but I am doing a level English literature and for a2 I've noticed that the students need to carry around at least 5 big books and I thought I couldn't hack that so I decided to buy one and it's made my life so much easier, I have all my lesson books on there and I am able to write all my notes on them for English which is so much more economical and easier

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: June 11, 2012
New on TSR

A-level results day

Is it about making your parents proud?

Article updates
Useful resources
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.