The Student Room Group

Is it feasible to do a phd at a university which is 4 hours from my home?

It's a phd in an aspect of English Literature, so no lab time etc. is required. I have access to excellent libraries where I live. I own my house (well - I have a mortgage!) so obviously I am not looking to move.

Is this at all feasible? Obviously I would be happy to stay overnight occasionally at the university (or in the town).
How many hours would I be expected to be 'on campus' for? How many hours can you expect to spend with your supervisor, and how often(I know it varies massively, but estimates would be great)? Are there regulations about this sort of thing? (I know when I was at Oxford, undergrads HAD to live within something like 25 miles.)
Original post by Summerstudy
It's a phd in an aspect of English Literature, so no lab time etc. is required. I have access to excellent libraries where I live. I own my house (well - I have a mortgage!) so obviously I am not looking to move.

Is this at all feasible? Obviously I would be happy to stay overnight occasionally at the university (or in the town).
How many hours would I be expected to be 'on campus' for? How many hours can you expect to spend with your supervisor, and how often(I know it varies massively, but estimates would be great)? Are there regulations about this sort of thing? (I know when I was at Oxford, undergrads HAD to live within something like 25 miles.)

I am completing a part-time masters 4 hours from my university and may start a PhD to follow. For most Oxford undergraduates the residential limits are 6 miles from Carfax. I have literally never entered my university library.
Reply 2
My wife is doing a PhD in Bangor. Which is from where we are living now 6 hours away by airplane + a 2 hours car ride + 3 hours train ride + another hour bus ride.

And I didn't even add the time it takes from our home to the airport!

;p
Reply 3
Yeah. Some of my research friends are based away from the uni. A lot of it is self taught anyway (although direction and help is still important too, technologies allow for easier communication etc).
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 4
It happens all the time and people successfully graduate under all sorts of circumstances.

However, there are downsides to such a set up. Access to your peer group is reduced, meaning less fun and a smaller support network. It sounds corny, but when you are under incredible pressure these things can make a big difference. Simply being able to go out and have a couple of pints with other PhD students, share stories and vent frustration helps tremendously. Also, if you are expected to attend regular tutorials you may be cursing yourself if you have to travel. Another downside is the reduced opportunity to engage in things like lecturing, additional research opportunities and group publishing.
Reply 5
Thank you for the replies, I really appreciate them - you've set my mind at rest about the possibilities. :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending