The Student Room Group

restarting lessons after more than a year

Hello,
I took quite a few lessons between December 2009-April 2010, yet I went on a year out and had to stop.
I retook my theory test last month and passed it. I am going to have my first lesson in a while this week and I really want to learn in as few a lessons as possible (well money issues) because I spent so much last time. I am also worried about re-starting because it feels like I have forgotten everything! So my question is: when you start lessons again after a long period of time, does it still take at least 20 lessons to pass or is it possible to pass with much fewer lessons? Also, will I remember how to drive when I get in the car?
Now, I am more determined to pass and my confidence increased (I used to be sooooo scared and unsure during my lessons).But I am not sure how this might help. I am just watching some BSM videos to remind myself of how to carry out the main manoeuvres.
Reply 1
Original post by itzme
Hello,
I took quite a few lessons between December 2009-April 2010, yet I went on a year out and had to stop.
I retook my theory test last month and passed it. I am going to have my first lesson in a while this week and I really want to learn in as few a lessons as possible (well money issues) because I spent so much last time. I am also worried about re-starting because it feels like I have forgotten everything! So my question is: when you start lessons again after a long period of time, does it still take at least 20 lessons to pass or is it possible to pass with much fewer lessons? Also, will I remember how to drive when I get in the car?
Now, I am more determined to pass and my confidence increased (I used to be sooooo scared and unsure during my lessons).But I am not sure how this might help. I am just watching some BSM videos to remind myself of how to carry out the main manoeuvres.

I took about 8 months out last year after failing my first test, it feels weird getting back in to the car for like the first 10 or so minutes but it's like riding a bike - everything comes back to you and you remember so much more than you think you will, so you should be fine. The only maneuver I kind of struggled with after taking a lot of time out was reversing round a corner - luckily it didn't come up on my test!!

I had about 4 hours of lessons after 8 months out until my 2nd test (which I passed), so you should be fine :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by SuperStarr1
I took about 8 months out last year after failing my first test, it feels weird getting back in to the car for like the first 10 or so minutes but it's like riding a bike - everything comes back to you and you remember so much more than you think you will, so you should be fine. The only maneuver I kind of struggled with after taking a lot of time out was reversing round a corner - luckily it didn't come up on my test!!

I had about 4 hours of lessons after 8 months out until my 2nd test (which I passed), so you should be fine :smile:.

Thank you! But did you have many lessons 8 months earlier? I had about 100 lessons (or more!) but kept on failing due to poor confidence on the road (was probably driving at 10mph on my tests). Now I am less scared and more confident, so I hope to pass in 10 lessons or less (we can always dream)
Reply 3
Original post by itzme
Thank you! But did you have many lessons 8 months earlier? I had about 100 lessons (or more!) but kept on failing due to poor confidence on the road (was probably driving at 10mph on my tests). Now I am less scared and more confident, so I hope to pass in 10 lessons or less (we can always dream)

I had around 30 hours before my break.

You never know, you might find it easier/have more confidence now that you've taken a break out. Good luck with everything and btw watching the DSA cd on the actual driving test really helped me, so you might want to watch it; and reading the official driving/passing fail threads on here actually helped me too.
Reply 4
I tend to find that those coming back are actually better than before they stopped in many ways - the knowledge consolidates instead of being something brand new.

It's like when you go skiing - you take lessons but you don't keep getting better for the whole holiday. Then when you go back the next time, you're that much better and can move from there.

Just be confident.
Reply 5
Original post by DOAADI
I tend to find that those coming back are actually better than before they stopped in many ways - the knowledge consolidates instead of being something brand new.

It's like when you go skiing - you take lessons but you don't keep getting better for the whole holiday. Then when you go back the next time, you're that much better and can move from there.

Just be confident.

In my experience, I found this to be quite true.

I took an 8 month after failing my second test. When I gave up I had zero confidence and figured I was going to be one of those people who doesn't drive.

But when I got back in the car, I knew exactly what I was doing so I didn't feel like my new instructor had anything not to be confident about and she told me to book my test (again) after my first lesson!

So I think in some ways it might be helpful to have taken that break, especially when your driving wasn't going well! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest