The Student Room Group

Do you eat the fat on meat?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by baby sexy
No, because I don't eat animal flesh.

Say hello to tapeworms/parasites!

Don't be silly! 99% of all meat in bought in the EU is free because the animals were vaccinated against such parasites.
Reply 21
No, because I don't eat animal flesh.

Say hello to tapeworms/parasites!

You do know that tapeworms and parasites come from meat that is infected with it already right? Nothing to do with how well you cook it. Besides, due to strict health and safety regulations they're extremely rare in this country.
Reply 22
I would eat it if it was just a little bit, but I wouldn't think anything of somebody trimming it off and leaving it.
Reply 23
No.
Original post by U.S Lecce
Don't be silly! 99% of all meat in bought in the EU is free because the animals were vaccinated against such parasites.

And you are injesting said vaccine/steroids and other chemicals pumped into the animal, right? I'd rather injest the parasites than man made chemicals, there is always a trade off.
Reply 25
It's the best part! But my friends and family hate it and think I'm weird lol
Depends, some fat's ok, like bacon or pork, so I guess piggy fat's nice in my book, hence pork scratcins i guess :p: but like i think the fat on a beef steak's chewy, sinewy and disgusting so I leave that.
Reply 27
When you cook your meat the way I do, there's no fat left, just a burnt crisp of meat ready to be devoured, just like the way men of old did it.
Reply 28
And you are injesting said vaccine/steroids and other chemicals pumped into the animal, right? I'd rather injest the parasites than man made chemicals, there is always a trade off.

Haha and you don't think vegetables have chemicals on them?

Secondly the vaccine isn't necessarly a chemical, it's a biological vaccine that infects the animal with a slight amount of the disease or parasite so the animals immune system knows how to fight it off if the parasite or disease ever tries to enter the body. The stuff they spray on vegetables is arguably a lot worse than the vaccines. However in saying that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest any chemicals used to treat animals and vegetables has negative affects on those who consume the treated food. Considering people aren't dropping dead left right and center then it's safe to assume these foods are more than safe to eat.
(edited 12 years ago)
No. It's chewy and I don't enjoy the taste either.
nope, if i accidentally eat too much of the fat i literally can't swallow it and end up making odd vomiting movements O.o
Only on pork chops.
Reply 32
Only if its on crispy bacon or pork crackling :yum:
Reply 33
ONLY IF IT'S KFC.

Otherwise no, because it's just unecessary calories.
Original post by U.S Lecce
Haha and you don't think vegetables have chemicals on them?

Secondly the vaccine isn't necessarly a chemical, it's a biological vaccine that infects the animal with a slight amount of the disease or parasite so the animals immune system knows how to fight it off if the parasite or disease ever tries to enter the body. The stuff they spray on vegetables is arguably a lot worse than the vaccines. However in saying that there is absolutely no evidence to suggest any chemicals used to treat animals and vegetables has negative affects on those who consume the treated food. Considering people aren't dropping dead left right and center then it's safe to assume these foods are more than safe to eat.

In any case by eating meat you are presumably also eating veg so therefore I will be conservative and suggest you are doubling the chances of chemical/vaccine/pesticide consumption. I purchase organic groceries where possible so I would hope that would reduce pesticides and GM crops. When time was available in the past I have grown a small proportion of my own food; albeit this is an ideal option it is not always feasible.

With regards to your last point I don't have the time to reference but I will make the point that certain cancer rates are rising and there is evidence to suggest that meat consumption is responsible - especially for increased rates of bowel cancers and cancers of the gut.

Let me suggest that at some point you are going to or you have consumed an animal that had cancer - there will be health implications. In any case these points that are outlined in the five minutes it took to reply to your post are the tip of the iceberg and I haven't mentioned the ethical/moral side of meat consumption.

Let me suggest that at some point you are going to or you have consumed an animal that had cancer - there will be health implications.

You can't 'catch' cancer by eating a tumor, moron. :rolleyes: You clearly have no concept of even the simplest aspects of biology, so shut up and get off your high horse.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phenomenological
You can't 'catch' cancer by eating a tumor, moron. :rolleyes: You clearly have no concept of even the simplest aspects of biology, so shut up and get off your high horse.

And thus folks, babies Biology A level has no credibility, because some dude on TSR says so. :rolleyes:
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 37
In any case by eating meat you are presumably also eating veg so therefore I will be conservative and suggest you are doubling the chances of chemical/vaccine/pesticide consumption. I purchase organic groceries where possible so I would hope that would reduce pesticides and GM crops. When time was available in the past I have grown a small proportion of my own food; albeit this is an ideal option it is not always feasible.

With regards to your last point I don't have the time to reference but I will make the point that certain cancer rates are rising and there is evidence to suggest that meat consumption is responsible - especially for increased rates of bowel cancers and cancers of the gut.

Let me suggest that at some point you are going to or you have consumed an animal that had cancer - there will be health implications. In any case these points that are outlined in the five minutes it took to reply to your post are the tip of the iceberg and I haven't mentioned the ethical/moral side of meat consumption.

I'm not arguing about the moral aspect of meat consumptions. I'm just saying there's nothing wrong with eating meat that's been vaccinated. We have been eating like this for many decades now and there has been no significant finding to suggest there is anything wrong with it other than some speculative hear say. Also again with the GM crops, there's a lot of propaganda about how bad it is, but no valid study to suggest it's bad. Americans eat gm crops all the time and they're fine. The people that make gm crops conduct studies to make sure they are safe to eat. All genetically modifying crops is, is taking the good genes from one species or type of crop and adding it to another to give it the best chance of survival and the best chance of growth as well as increasing the amount of healthy nutrients in the crop. It's basically crop evolution on fast forward. There's not necessarily anything man made made or artificial added. Therefore it's not different from eating normal crops.

Again cancer rates are linked to an increase in meat consumption but there is nothing to suggest it's the cause. The cause of meat related cancers is obesity and eating processed meat. If you eat too much processed meat with loads of unhealthy additives like, modified vegetable fats and trans fats you increases the risk for cancer. If you eat too much fat you increase the risk of cancer. Obviously because meat, especially processed meat has a lot of fat in it, over consumption will make you fat and hence increase the risk of cancer. But eating a well balanced diet of unprocessed lean meat and veg is not going to increase the chances of cancer. Eating fish, chicken and beef also aid prevention of cancer.

And eating meat that had cancer will not give you cancer. Cancer is not contagious. Cancer is an irregular growth of tissue cells that takes over the blood supply of the organ it inhabits killing the healthy cells of the organ and hence you die from organ failure. Eating and digesting cancer cells will not give you cancer because A) it's not a contagious disease and B) the meat is dead and hence the cancer cells are also dead.

Morally I cannot really argue, because one persons opinion on the morality of eating meat is different from another's.
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes - its the best bit.

I eat other peoples as well if they cut the fat of steak/bacon and leave it on the plate.
And thus folks, babies Biology A level has no credibility, because some dude on TSR says so. :rolleyes:

You took biology A level and you think cancer is contagious? I presume you got a U.

Quick Reply

Latest