The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Who thinks the NHS is crap?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Chillaxer
I don't think that is a good way he put it. Basically most people have a high expectation of docs but also a cynicism that they are in it for prestige and power much more than a concern for the patient. It's dissonance. I mean, I have a ard time believe a lot of them would agonise over the side effects of a drug having inisduous effects on someone for example, they are very relaxed prescribing. We are also all aware of te highly ambitious egotistical and imperious types who enjoy the power of it probably more than anything else. Medicine does attract similar people that you'll find in politics, for example.

Why would you want a doctor who 'agonised over' the drugs that they were prescribing? They are fully aware of the side-effects associated with treatments and they are considered in a cost : benefit way. Do you want them to be pissing themselves as they fill out your script?

And power? Please. If anyone wanted power they would apply for hospital management jobs, not clinical ones. Nevertheless, who says that you cannot be ambitious and caring?
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
I'm fully aware of that. I just despise pretentious jumped-up little pricks like yourself who put down other people for not getting 10 A* at GCSE. I've worked hard to get where I am. Pretty sure grafting and giving a **** is going to get me a lot further than your private school education and parents money.

He's a medic, and private school, so expect him to be arrogant. But, he's nowhere yet.
Reply 82
You need more than that in business. Savvy. And anyhow, loads of people can do biology and chemistry, my aunt is a GP and really struggled wit physcis though, and loads of people can;'t do Maths because, frankly, biology and chemistry can be passed by slog and rote learning and high level maths needs someone that bit sharper.

Okay so tell me what qualities makes a good businessman/woman. Physics is just applied maths.
Have you ever read a statistics book? One person is not enough to make an assumption about a whole profession.
Reply 83
Original post by DiZZeeKiD
I'm fully aware of that. I just despise pretentious jumped-up little pricks like yourself who put down other people for not getting 10 A* at GCSE. I've worked hard to get where I am. Pretty sure grafting and giving a **** is going to get me a lot further than your private school education and parents money.

lol, I love all the assumptions you make - doctors being pushed into this, not caring about patients, I have been to private school...etc... You really should calm down (as this is only the internet) but I didn't go to private school and my family isn't particularly rich. I personally despise narrow-minded ignorant idiots who have some crazy idea that they actually are entitled to an opinion anyone takes seriously. You don't work in healthcare, you aren't a health economist and all you can spew is prejudice and boring anecdotes. jog on.

He's a medic, and private school, so expect him to be arrogant. But, he's nowhere yet.

I went to a comprehensive school in the Bradford authority.

Original post by GodspeedGehenna
pwnt

lol motor protein.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 84
It'a always been there when i needed it!
That's a bit weird. :rolleyes:

Meh, not really - we live in a very rural area so it's quite normal, used to have my old GP's house number (when we didn't have access to G-Docs) - could phone him any time if we had problems - woke the poor bloke up at 2am once as my sister was having seizures/hallucinations!

I think it's more because they knew a lot of background, and things, and GP in question said that most people in my situation wouldn't have bothered going to uni in the first place - so she was chuffed I had actually kept going and gone for it. So it's not really all that weird - just probably a bit of a closer relationship than what's "normal".
Why would you want a doctor who 'agonised over' the drugs that they were prescribing? They are fully aware of the side-effects associated with treatments and they are considered in a cost : benefit way. Do you want them to be pissing themselves as they fill out your script?

And power? Please. If anyone wanted power they would apply for hospital management jobs, not clinical ones. Nevertheless, who says that you cannot be ambitious and caring?

Was concerned over, put it that way. And don't be so literal minded. They are happy to dole out prescriptions without much thought to side effects, and medication ot those who don't need it. It may not be as bad as the US, where the pharmaceutical companies draft healthcare bills(or it may be) but I think we even have something approaching them getting paid each time they sign/commission.

And I think you're being a little disingeneous to suggest that the power and the glory, (maybe not so much now admittedly) public view of them, even glamorous view of them, is not a ajor attraction for many. Sure, the more intellectual, nerdy types may go into research, the types who like looking good don't.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Organ
l

I went to a comprehensive school in the Bradford authority.

Sorry, assumed he was talking fact from your earlier convo
Reply 88
I do not. High time we appreciate what we have. In America, you pay for health care!!
Original post by Besakt
Okay so tell me what qualities makes a good businessman/woman. Physics is just applied maths.
Have you ever read a statistics book? One person is not enough to make an assumption about a whole profession.

It doesn't matter, this is tangential. He said anyone who could be a doctor could make a lot more in other professions, a notion I am contesting as nonsense.
Was concerned over, put it that way. They are happy to dole out prescriptions without much thought to side effects

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Primum_non_nocere

And I think you're being a little disingeneous to suggest that the power and the glory, (maybe not so much now admittedly) public view of them, even glamorous view of them, is not a ajor attraction for many.

This thread is testament to the fact that these glory days are over, whereby doctors are villified by the public, beaten down by management and hounded by the media. If someone wants power, they become a penpusher, not a doctor.
Reply 91

This thread is testament to the fact that these glory days are over, whereby doctors are villified by the public, beaten down by management and hounded by the media. If someone wants power, they become a penpusher, not a doctor.

Absolutely.

I don't particularly care what the perception of the ignorant masses is - the Daily Mail and New Labour have won anyway - doctors are all slackers, greedy, useless and interested only in making money. We know the reality isn't like that. Must be hard for the old crowd having to deal with the loudmouth, know-nothing dickheads we have seen on this thread.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Besakt
Doctors over paid?!?! They're are not paid enough. Savings peoples life day in day out , with a **** load of stress on their shoulders. It's so easy to judge I would like to see you walk in their shoes for a week.
Good idea lets tell drug companies to slow down making those life saving drugs.

ok you need a good education
Reply 93
It doesn't matter, this is tangential. He said anyone who could be a doctor could make a lot more in other professions, a notion I am contesting as nonsense.

Why?
Reply 94
Original post by wangelo
Not at all, At least it's the impression I get when doctors are talking to me. Having been in and out of hospital and having faced a lot of doctors I can tell you most don't seem to care, there are a bunch who do and most of these seem to be the younger ones who are actually interested in what they're doing.

I'm not going to bash them all and say they're all bad and how the NHS is a failure because it isn't true, but something seriously needs to be done or changed in the NHS because the quality of healthcare is rather low.

I'll agree, at least to some extent, with your less extreme rephrasing.

Fact is that GPs are now forced to see patients in 7 minute slots, which makes it very difficult for them to give a caring approach. Similarly consultants have a vast number of people to cover in a single round.

Bad doctors contribute too, of course. But stupid beaurocratic interference doesn't help.
Original post by hslt
Anyone intelligent enough to become a doctor could earn a lot more money in other professions. For the hours that a full-time doctor has to work, for the years of unpaid training, followed by badly paid training with insane hours (which has now changed due to the recent european work time directive) most doctors could certainly be earning much more, much earlier. They're not just there for the money.

There are bad doctors, but theres a lot of good ones too. And lets see what happens with a private system! Then you'll see overpaid doctors, just there for the money, milking every patient for all the money they can get.

They're certainly not underpaid after full training, I agree. Especially with the stupid GP contract a few years ago. But it's not an easy job, not even slightly. And pay less, you'll attract worse people to the job. And I, for one, don't mind paying more to attract better people into the career.

I agree with your point im very sorry for generalising all doctors they do play a vaulable part in society but the ones i have come across have been purely there for the $$$ and other agendas. I dont think doctors are paid enormous sums of money they are definately not superrich by any means or even get close to the elite.

But my point of view is that if the NHS was privatised and more competition the doctors who didnt give a ****e wouldnt get the customers and hence make less money and the great doctors will excel and earn their wage.
Reply 96
Original post by Tony_Soprano1
ok you need a good education

Ok. You need to learn to stop coming out with stupid one liners. And at least back your idiotic point up.
Original post by Besakt
Ok. You need to learn to stop coming out with stupid one liners. And at least back your idiotic point up.

nope two other people quoted me and got an educated reply you just dont seem to have a clue.Im sorry for your lack of education i blame the national education system for brainwashing your small fragile brain into believing such stupidity.

Makes comforting reading, all I'm saying is more of them seem to not operate that way now, and maybe there is a commission element to it. I know that the more you go down the privatisatin route it's inevitable, but it seems to occur in the NHS anyway. They sign, and get paid each time.
Reply 99
Original post by Tony_Soprano1
I agree with your point im very sorry for generalising all doctors they do play a vaulable part in society but the ones i have come across have been purely there for the $$$ and other agendas. I dont think doctors are paid enormous sums of money they are definately not superrich by any means or even get close to the elite.

But my point of view is that if the NHS was privatised and more competition the doctors who didnt give a ****e wouldnt get the customers and hence make less money and the great doctors will excel and earn their wage.

What sort of doctor becomes a doctor because of the money? The money is crap for the amount of time a doctor works.

Latest

Trending

Trending