The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not sure but just thought you might want to mention if you're catered or self catered as I imagine that will make all the difference.
Reply 2
It depends where you live and how many times per week you go out. I started at Sheffield last year and got by on 350 per month living costs going out probably 3 times a week on average. Drinks are cheap in Sheffield thought, I imagine I would have spent a LOT more money somewhere like London/Surrey etc.

Oh and I was self catered :smile:
Reply 3
I'm hoping to go to Belfast and stay in self-catered halls :smile:
Reply 4
It depends on your lifestyle. If you'll be going home often and if you'll take all your food from home. :P

Its possible to live on £20 or less a week, but if you'll be going out drinking and eating out probabaly around £50.
Reply 5
Original post by Sun!
It depends on your lifestyle. If you'll be going home often and if you'll take all your food from home. :P

Its possible to live on £20 or less a week, but if you'll be going out drinking and eating out probabaly around £50.

Thank you!
I was thinking around £50 a week but then I've read a few things saying that £50 is totally unrealistic.
Reply 6
I would love to have £50 a week

I think I spent on average around £25 but some weeks were more and less
Reply 7
I'm hoping to have £50 per week on shopping and going out. I'm planning to bring my food from home every two weeks or something. I think I'm going to be eating out loads! :smile:
Reply 8
About £100 week is probably fair.
I'm going to be self catered at Newcastle in September. I will have around £80 per week to buy food and going out :smile: I'm hoping this is enough
Original post by Blah_Blah1
I would love to have £50 a week

I think I spent on average around £25 but some weeks were more and less

How did you manage on that little? Did you hardly ever go out?
Reply 11
I live in Chester and atm for everything I'm managing off £45 a week (but I've got bills too)
Reply 12
U can get food really cheap if need be.Just buy own brand food.Then you will have more money 4 booze and going out etc
I'm hoping to have £60-70 a week as I get the basic maintenance loan, so everything else is coming out of a savings account my parents started for me when I was younger thank god or I'd have about £500 for the year!

For second year, I'm £40-50 will tide me over.
I live in Plymouth and am self-catered, and I spend between £8 and £25 a week on food. I pay my bills quarterly, so I can't be bothered to work out how much those would be per week. :tongue:
Reply 15
Thanks everyone for your help :smile:
So generally between £50-£80 although it can be a lot less if you budget really really carefully.
Reply 16
Original post by Niall2407
How did you manage on that little? Did you hardly ever go out?

Went out all the time, Two words...

Frost. Jacks. :cool:

To be honest you should be spending more as I never ate very well and spent more on going out and what not. I also went home every weekend and got things from home
Reply 17
Shopping will cost you £15 to £20 a week, I haven't realistically been able to bring it down below £12.

Going out? Depends on the price of taxi rides, etc, but to get into a club it will usually be about £3 and then £1.50 per drink. I'd earmark £10 for going out per pop.

This is a conservative budget and you're likely to have some left over.

For what I'd call a "comfortable" life, I'd say £50 a week is necessary after rent.
well like everbody else said it depends on your lifestyle

on a lighter note you can always steal your housemates food if you become broke
I lived on £50 a week but that's with going out twice every week. Food should cost no more than £25 and you can play about with the rest. That being said, most of my friends SAAS put them on around £300 a month which works out to around £75 a week and they spent it all but I'd say that's definitely on the more than comfortable side of things.

Latest

Trending

Trending