The Student Room Group

DSA - Purchasing books before confirmation

Hi All,

I'm about to start a PGCE to teach secondary Science in September. I suffer from Rheumatoid Arthritis and I'm affected/limited in many ways, especially mobility.

I've sent off my DSA application and I'm waiting to hear about an assessment, however, I'd like to purchase lots of text books and start revising/studying as soon as possible.
Ideally I'd like to claim the books I buy back on the DSA, as one of the reasons I will need to buy lots of books is that I would struggle to get to and use the library.

Is this sensible? Has anyone done it before and how do would you claim back money for text books from the DSA?
Do DSA usually buy your books for you anyway or do you usually claim back your expenditure?

Thanks!
Reply 1
You claim money back for books you buy and you are only really allowed to use the money to buy non core textbook, as in you are not supposed to buy books that other students on your course would need. However the definition of non core textbook is very ill defined. You are not yet sure if your DSA would be approved (I am not judging or accusing, so please don't get it the wrong way), it might be a bit risky to buy books now and try to claim the money back. I'd probably wait until they have approved your DSA application, and maybe you can then ask the question while you are waiting for your assessment and the DSA to approve of the assessment? Because from your assessment to your DSA is actually approved could take about a month or so.

Quick Reply

Latest