The Student Room Group

Can bad english ruin your chances?

I did an MSc in the UK which didn't go very well, it was mainly presentations and I couldn't express myself very well or remember the words cause engish is not my first language. I now want to take a phD, but my teachers said no. I worked in the meantime and my english is way better. I used to have difficulties with words such as 'interlocking' for example and took twice the time as others to understand a lecture. How can I convince them to take me back?
Reply 1
I have no idea, I just know that my threads aren't coming up on the stupid thread thingy
Reply 2
Original post by volcanic_ash
I have no idea, I just know that my threads aren't coming up on the stupid thread thingy

Are you sure the reason they said 'no' was because of your ability in English?
Reply 3
Original post by OSI

:ditto:

Also, surely there are plenty of other universities which you could apply to (and which won't be biased against you because of your less-than-amazing performance on your MSc)? So why does it have to be that one?
Anyway you can do a PhD in a different University where you can start afresh without the stigma, or perhaps even your home country where your stronger in that language? Or just practise your english even more and prove them wrong!
Reply 5
You could always take the TOEFL again. I assume you had to take it once before. Maybe try taking it again and go to them with your new improved score?
Reply 6
Original post by Johnny Luk
Anyway you can do a PhD in a different University where you can start afresh without the stigma, or perhaps even your home country where your stronger in that language? Or just practise your english even more and prove them wrong!

you're right. think is better another Uni.
Reply 7
Original post by Tasha1986
You could always take the TOEFL again. I assume you had to take it once before. Maybe try taking it again and go to them with your new improved score?

I did the IELTS at the time, and got a good mark. but that wasnt enough cause it doesnt teach you technical language. It was like learning a new dictionary from scratch. and with oral presentations, unless you write down exactly what you are going to say, its really difficult to remember the words. I now feel a lot more confident and laugh at some of the things I struggled with. I think lecturers should simplify their language with foreign classes, they all talked like they were kings.
Reply 8
If you want to do your PhD in science/engineering related subject then English is not a major problem. In any case write a strong PhD research proposal & then see the results
Reply 9
Original post by OSI

Not sure, but I know my difficulties and I even had throuble understand the word 'therefore'. Imagine, you are reading a book or paper for a coursework with tiny deadline and you have to pick up 'therefore' on the dictionary!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending