The Student Room Group

Good Television Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 580
Original post by Deshi
:sigh:

Haha! Now I knew I would get this reaction, but in defence of Geordie Shore it somehow manages to be horrific and cringeworthy whilst also being quite entertaining.

I Just Want My Pants Back was pretty good as well! Obviously I would watch Homeland, Studio 60, The West Wing or 'Curb' anytime over those, but you've gotta mix it up a bit!
Original post by rural_boy
Did anyone catch 'I Just Want My Pants Back', admittedly it's not the greatest title for a tv show, it's a new comedy on MTV. I saw a couple of adverts for it while I was watching Geordie Shore (:colondollar:) and it looked pretty good, watched the first episode and was pleasantly surprised, writing was pretty sharp and it was actually really funny!

yea i was surprised by that show too, MTV has been making some good scripted shows lately and they have a version of the Inbetweeners coming soon that i think will be decent.
Everyone has got to watch Spartacus. That show is amazing. Watched the last episode of this series- it was too phenomonal.

Spoiler

Need to watch Mad Men. Anyone watched "the boss" or "Magic City" yet?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Everyone has got to watch Spartacus. That show is amazing. Watched the last episode of this series- it was too phenomonal.

Gutted about Lucretia and Illithiya dying. Oh well.

Need to watch Mad Men. Anyone watched "the boss" or "Magic City" yet?

Watched a bit of Spartacus (about half hour, I don't know which episode) but it's too filthy and crude for me. It's like one big orgy which surprisingly wasn't entertaining lol Lots of unecessary swearing too. Now I may sound like the BBFC, and have been watching gangster movies since I could walk, but it has to be done with a purpose. I just didn't like the tone of this show.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by silent ninja
Watched a bit of Spartacus (about half hour, I don't know which episode) but it's too filthy and crude for me. It's like one big orgy which surprisingly wasn't entertaining lol Lots of unecessary swearing too. Now I may sound like the BBFC, and have been watching gangster movies since I could walk, but it has to be done with a purpose. I just didn't like the tone of this show.

I agree that it is filfthy and crude. There were scenes that where I had to look away or fast forward.
The killing scenes, I don't mind, but certain scenes were pretty horrific.
I don't think the swearing is too much tbh. This is comming from me,I rarely swear.

Putting those scenes to one side, it is a pretty good show. The storylines are brilliant especially when it comes to the Romans. The whole deception, mainipulation, the craziness, the relationships- it makes the show.
I agree that it is filfthy and crude. There were scenes that where I had to look away or fast forward.
The killing scenes, I don't mind, but certain scenes were pretty horrific.
I don't think the swearing is too much tbh. This is comming from me,I rarely swear.

Putting those scenes to one side, it is a pretty good show. The storylines are brilliant especially when it comes to the Romans. The whole deception, mainipulation, the craziness, the relationships- it makes the show.

There were frequent references to cocks, balls and shagging which I just found crude. I can see why they did that -- they want to capture the rawness and brutality of that time. Let's just say it isn't family friendly lol
Reply 586
I am doing a research project asking if a
martial arts show like Kung fu could be
successful on modern television audiences. Just wanted to hear peoples thoughts on whether or not the show could work
Finally watched the first two episodes of the new Mad Men season - quality stuff :yep:
Guys, what do you think of "Entourage"? I attempted to watch it a year or two ago was only able to work my way through the episodes because I really didn't have anything else to watch. I found it quite shallow and never went back when I found something better. I really cannot understand the fascination. I actually found "How to Make it in America" to be a similar, yet superior show and very much enjoyed its two seasons.

On a related note, I find myself only watching "The Big Bang Theory" out of habit and it also makes the "Community" episodes, which I watch after, all the more awesome! What was up with the "bongo solo" of Sheldon? It was not even funny!

I am eagerly awaiting the new season of "Suits" and more so, the one for "Breaking Bad". I like how they've decided to make the fifth season the last...
Original post by Lilium
Guys, what do you think of "Entourage"? I attempted to watch it a year or two ago was only able to work my way through the episodes because I really didn't have anything else to watch. I found it quite shallow and never went back when I found something better. I really cannot understand the fascination. I actually found "How to Make it in America" to be a similar, yet superior show and very much enjoyed its two seasons.

On a related note, I find myself only watching "The Big Bang Theory" out of habit and it also makes the "Community" episodes, which I watch after, all the more awesome! What was up with the "bongo solo" of Sheldon? It was not even funny!

I am eagerly awaiting the new season of "Suits" and more so, the one for "Breaking Bad". I like how they've decided to make the fifth season the last...

Entourage is superb, stick with it. Ari Gold is one of my top 3 tv show characters.
Reply 590
[video="youtube_share;wC8ovJYAU3U"]http://youtu.be/wC8ovJYAU3U[/video]

I think this might have to be added to my list of TV shows to watch!
first half of the trailer looks good, the second, less so, but it's Sorkin so I'm definitely excited. The West Wing and Studio 60 are two of my favourite shows.

anyway, am I the only one who thought the latest (5.03) episode of Mad Men felt a bit off? Jon Hamm was directing, might have something to do with it
Reply 592
I enjoyed it enough but the private life of Don draper doesn't really do it for me. Peter has become a far more interesting character and I want to see what happens between him and roger.
I didn't realise Jon Hamm was a director... I haven't actually seen the third episode yet; but I liked the first two. Yeah, the relationship between Peter and Roger is an interesting one.

Spoiler

Reply 594
Original post by Yoghurt
[video="youtube_share;wC8ovJYAU3U"]http://youtu.be/wC8ovJYAU3U[/video]

I think this might have to be added to my list of TV shows to watch!

I have been looking forward to this for absolutely ages so thanks for putting the trailer up!

I absolutely love Aaron Sorkin, and with it being on HBO it won't get prematurely killed like Studio 60!
Original post by Annoying-Mouse
Love Alcatraz. So far every episode seems to be reveal a little more, lets see how long they keep this up.

I'm loving Alcatraz too. The first episode was a bit dodgy but it's continued to get better and better. I'm growing to love the characters too, especially Sam Neil, he's great in it. My only criticism is that it hasn't gone beyond San Francisco... if I woke up after 50 years I would definitely escape the city and get as far away from Alcatraz as possible.
Original post by Captain Jack
I'm loving Alcatraz too. The first episode was a bit dodgy but it's continued to get better and better. I'm growing to love the characters too, especially Sam Neil, he's great in it. My only criticism is that it hasn't gone beyond San Francisco... if I woke up after 50 years I would definitely escape the city and get as far away from Alcatraz as possible.

I thought it was ok. But apparently due to declining ratings, fox might just axe it.
I thought it was ok. But apparently due to declining ratings, fox might just axe it.

Oh no, it's the first TV show I've really got into recently :frown: Although it would be quite nice to simply have one season, that way we get all of the answers sooner.
Original post by Captain Jack
Oh no, it's the first TV show I've really got into recently :frown: Although it would be quite nice to simply have one season, that way we get all of the answers sooner.

It is finished now. I thought it was ok and decent. But, Fox is notorious for axing shows if they don't get ratings. I could be wrong though. From what it looks like, Alcatraz could face the axe.

On a side note: After Lost and Mad Men- I kinda feel most tv shows are now mimicking them.
Magic City- if you like Mad Men, Boardwalk Empire... you will like Magic City.

Boss- is really good. It was nominated for an emmy, I suppose homeland did sweep the stakes.

Hope both of these shows get picked up by Sky, ITV, or BBC.

Watched Mad Men- that Jewish Report guy who got the job- needs a spin off show.

Quick Reply

Latest