The Student Room Group

Good Television Society Thread

Scroll to see replies

IIRC it's being split in two (annoying, as that's prolly purely the decision of the studio, who only give a **** about dorrah), with the first half starting this June or July. Probably July.

Girls was okay.

Though by the time I saw it I was pretty hammered.
Walter Bishop's 'these aren't the droids you're looking for' made me lal.
I shoulda had more faith in Armando Iannucci, Veep is pretty good so far. ;p

The guy who I believe is the counterpart to Malcolm Tucker (no surprise) doesn't come close, but oh well.
Original post by concubine
I've seen about 1 and a half seasons (all of season 2, the first few episodes and some others at random).

I really, really don't like it. ;p

Try a few episodes in season three. Specifically: episodes 4 and 10. If you don't like those, you probably won't ever like it. "Annie's song", "Baby boomer Santa", "Jehovah's most secret witness"...

Guys, you ever notice how much effort the people behind Breaking Bad put in everything in the show? Take the Saul Goodman adverts for example. Or the ones for Los Pollos Hermanos! The three guitarists singing about Walt was a nice touch too. I'm sure there's a few more that I've missed...

Spoiler

If I had learned of this thread a few months back, I might have pointed out some more instances which could potentially be "revisited" but my memory seems to be failing me and as such, perhaps re-acquainting myself with all the Breaking Bad episodes would be a good idea.

Does anybody else hate Skylar? Melodramatic, annoying bitch.
I can't stand her or 'Flynn' (which kinda makes my love of the show even more impressive).

I do really hope that at least one of them dies. It doesn't seem so unlikely. I'm sure someone close to Walt will die anyway.
Reply 705
Fringe anyone?? I actually just bought season 1 of six feet under :smile:
To begin with I thought Walter was gonna be the only good thing about Fringe, but it's gotten quite good overall.

Six Feet Under still has the best ending of a TV show. I don't see it losing that position any time soon, mostly because endings (even of great shows) are usually kinda lame.

The Shield's is probably my second favourite.
Girls has already became a favorite after just two episodes but I still wish "How To Make It" didn't get cancelled.
Veep is a show I think is pretty good so far and it kinda makes me want to watch "In the Loop" and "The Thick of It".
Reply 708
Original post by fake-patois
Girls has already became a favorite after just two episodes

hey me too
i was expecting it to be Sex In the City 2.0 but instead it feels like i'm watching a female version of Louie.
Reply 710
Original post by Lilium
Does anybody else hate Skylar? Melodramatic, annoying bitch.

I think I am one of the few people who sympathises with her. I don't see her being any worse than Walt or some of the other characters.

He disregards her for long periods of time to pursue his meth career. And then when he isn't ignoring her, he is usually telling lies. In the first few seasons, she could tell he wasn't being truthful with her but he just kept piling on the lies and shutting her out. He even pretty much raped her at one point. It's really only after she discovers Walt's secret that she becomes aggressively hostile. All the while, she is unable to speak to her family about the situation, which results in much cruelty, especially from her son.

The show focuses on Walt so you have to try and think about it from her perspective.
(edited 12 years ago)
That's not my problem at all.

I just find her annoying, though slightly more entertaining now she's less of an idiot and more involved. It's not even like it was in Deadwood where she was surrounded by a bunch of more interesting female characters played by superior actresses. Her only real competition is Marie... Who is horrid too.
Louie comes back on June 28th btw

not sure if we've already seen the bit in the last 5 seconds, but it's scenes like this that make me love this show.
Reply 713
I hope Hank puts minerals in her clothes with his claw whilst she sleeps.
Reply 715
Original post by Pheylan
x

One of the best episodes yet.

Spoiler

lol at the daggering in Game of Thrones.
Original post by Phyos
I think I am one of the few people who sympathises with her. I don't see her being any worse than Walt or some of the other characters.

He disregards her for long periods of time to pursue his meth career. And then when he isn't ignoring her, he is usually telling lies. In the first few seasons, she could tell he wasn't being truthful with her but he just kept piling on the lies and shutting her out. He even pretty much raped her at one point. It's really only after she discovers Walt's secret that she becomes aggressively hostile. All the while, she is unable to speak to her family about the situation, which results in much cruelty, especially from her son.

The show focuses on Walt so you have to try and think about it from her perspective.

I have. I just find her incredibly annoying.

Walter is a condescending jerk, sure. In spite of him not being a very likeable person (he's no Jeff Winger...) with somewhat questionable ethics, he is still a reasonable person. He has a sense of responsibility towards his family, which he seems to extend (on occasion!) to Jesse. At least, when he isn't busy telling him how stupid and how much of an incapable he is.

Skylar, on the other hand, just looks like a fat baby who's always whining and throwing her toys off her pram. She makes everything about her. Actually, Walt has a similar attitude too but I just find Skylar much more annoying. I can't quite explain but I'm sure there's more.

In Girls, I found Hanna to be annoying in a somewhat similar way, albeit to a much lesser extent.
Reply 718
Skylar and Walt Jr annoy me an incredible amount. When they are both on screen I cringe the whole way through.
I knw people hate it but i love Glee :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest