The Student Room Group

Mental Health Higher

I just wondered if anyone else had sat the mental health higher and not got the grades they were expecting. Out of my class of nearly 30 only 3 passed the higher and i wondered if anyone else was in the same boat or if its only within the college that i went to?
Reply 1
sounds like something i wish i'd done, not psychology-like?!
For Higher Mental Health Care there were only 388 people studying it in 2011. Of which there were 11 A's, 35 B's and 122 C's. This is a pass rate of 43.3% (Source: Pre-Appeals National Qualification Results)

More than 50% of people failed the Higher. So that says that it's either an extremely difficult Higher or it says something about the people who choose to study it.
Reply 3
So if you work it out from those statistics it means roughly that there were 22 people in each class at the 17 centres that sat the exam and out of those 22 people only an average of 9 per class passed the higher an average of 40% per class this again being the lowest pass rate for a higher for the past two years how can an exam based on coursework achieve the lowest pass rate two years in a row when it was taken to appeal with SQA and the MSP for education who apparently sorted this while situation out last year?!
My question to you is did u sit the exam?and what are you implying with regards to your last statement relating to the people that took the higher?
Original post by lnichol4
So if you work it out from those statistics it means roughly that there were 22 people in each class at the 17 centres that sat the exam and out of those 22 people only an average of 9 per class passed the higher an average of 40% per class this again being the lowest pass rate for a higher for the past two years how can an exam based on coursework achieve the lowest pass rate two years in a row when it was taken to appeal with SQA and the MSP for education who apparently sorted this while situation out last year?!
My question to you is did u sit the exam?and what are you implying with regards to your last statement relating to the people that took the higher?

I didn't sit the exam so I can't discuss the difficulty of the Higher.
The last statement was made from an objective, non-biased, viewpoint. I can understand where you would get a feeling of animosity from - but it wasn't a go at you or anyone though. I just think it's a logical fact that the two options for a low pass rate are either:

(1) A problem with the course, and/or, the teaching of the course.
(2) A problem with the students.

Sorry if it came across as malicious, it wasn't meant to look that way <3
Reply 5
Original post by lnichol4
I just wondered if anyone else had sat the mental health higher and not got the grades they were expecting. Out of my class of nearly 30 only 3 passed the higher and i wondered if anyone else was in the same boat or if its only within the college that i went to?

Yes out of our class of 45, only 4 passed it. Very sad when a classroom based project and lecturer okaying it at every step. Dont think any appeals have been successful. Something very wrong and unfair. Our college dropped this higher for this following academic year. My biggest wish would be to see a paper that received an A pass!!!!! Last years debacle--- scottish governement said "bad bunch of students" this year??????

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending