The Student Room Group

Masters in Mathematics or Statistics? Which would be more beneficial?

I am currently studying a Bsc in Mathematics at the University of Sheffield graduating in 2012 and i'm undecided whether to continue my studies in Maths and change to the 4 year MMath course or do a masters in Statistics. I enjoy all areas of Maths except mechanics related subjects. Could anyone give me any advice as to which option would be more beneficial?
Reply 1
Statisticians are always in high demand due to the numerous vital roles they play in various fields of official statistics and regulatory affairs (e.g. pharmaceuticals). I would argue that although Statistics is rarely the sexiest mathematical subject it is by some way the most "professional" of the disciplines and there are many well specified and structured routes to a Statistics career. In contrast, a general maths grad has considerable flexibility and could end up doing anything but, more often than not, they will probably end up in careers which are not very mathematical at all.
Reply 2
i think pure maths is more interesting and is STILL underused in finance - has almost infinite potential.
stats - for the simple reason that it's in demand now and in the years to come.
Reply 4
Thanks a lot for your advice, I've already chosen my 3rd year module choices to compliment a masters in statistics and am planning on not changing that now i've been reassured with the demand of statisticians
Reply 5
Maths might get you more into finance and high pay if it's msc financial mathematics, for example, however statsticians are also always needed in economics and finance. They may be some more really high paid jobs where a certain maths msc would be better, but generally speaking, stats gives you tons of options, finance academia, consulting,e tc. It's underrated as a subject in terms of interest, you can study anything with it(varied career) and crucially, there is a huge shortage of people in it.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by shiny
I would argue that although Statistics is rarely the sexiest mathematical subject it is by some way the most "professional" of the disciplines .

Yeah, I always noticed studying it how snobby applied/physics/pure type people were about it. That's bull though, anything is hard high end, and also, it has more applications to more savvy areas like forensics, police, law, pharmas, genetics, medicine etc, so rememeber that when they are stuck in nerdy outfit in a lab with other geeks. Usually those people are snobs who don't know much about or see the beauty in it.
Reply 7
I know what you mean by snobbery, I was told by a management and accounting with maths student that I was taking "the easy option" by favouring a masters in statistics over general maths. I don't think many people understand the ambiguity in statistics that you don't get with other branches of maths
Reply 8
Original post by laura1611
I know what you mean by snobbery, I was told by a management and accounting with maths student that I was taking "the easy option" by favouring a masters in statistics over general maths. I don't think many people understand the ambiguity in statistics that you don't get with other branches of maths

It requires just as much imagination and skill high end.
Why don't you like the mechanics related subjects ?
Reply 10
Original post by Iron Mask Duval
Why don't you like the mechanics related subjects ?

I think its more a case of not being very good at them than not liking them, i struggled with M1 at A level and then struggled again with vectors and mechanics in action in my first year of uni and the results were dramatically lower than the rest of them

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending