The Student Room Group

UCAS Applications: Awaiting your A2 results, do some universities beat UCAS track...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by lizolove
Exeter! What about you?
Erm, not really. I'm not really sure how to prepare except a list of possible courses, but that's not out until the 18th either. ¬¬

I've had a look through the UCAS 2011 course search for courses that are listed as open to new applications. I've sent a couple of emails out to departments too. I was really hopeful of getting onto a sociology foundation year at Durham, but it turns out that UCAS incorrectly listed the course as open, when Durham told me it was closed.

My insurance is Keele. Career-wise it's a good choice because Keele are one of only four universities that do the postgraduate course I want, and all students on my course are given an interview for the postgrad if they want to apply, but it means not getting campus accommodation which will be a bit of a headache.
Reply 21
Original post by ilickbatteries
I've had a look through the UCAS 2011 course search for courses that are listed as open to new applications. I've sent a couple of emails out to departments too. I was really hopeful of getting onto a sociology foundation year at Durham, but it turns out that UCAS incorrectly listed the course as open, when Durham told me it was closed.

My insurance is Keele. Career-wise it's a good choice because Keele are one of only four universities that do the postgraduate course I want, and all students on my course are given an interview for the postgrad if they want to apply, but it means not getting campus accommodation which will be a bit of a headache.

That would be a pain.
Are the UCAS open courses the clearing ones? :eek:
Original post by lizolove
That would be a pain.
Are the UCAS open courses the clearing ones? :eek:

I honestly have no idea, but (in my mind at least) it made sense to me to look for courses that aren't closed because (again, in my mind) they seem as if they haven't reached their quota of applicants and would be more likely to go into clearing.

Obviously, the top universities have very few, if any clearing vacancies, so it's unlikely that if they say they're still open (like the Soc FY at Durham) then someone responsible just hasn't updated UCAS.

That said, I read on here the other day that some places (particularly Hull, not sure why) are popular 'insurance choices' and I noticed that Hull has most of its law courses listed as in extra or open, so you never know. I guess that could mean that the open ones are the ones that have been insured more than the average, and then of course it would depend until results day whether or not they go into clearing.

Say if University X gives out 100 offers for Course Y and gets 40 insurances and 60 firms for a course with 80 places, then it would be more likely to go into clearing, perhaps.

I certainly don't claim to know the ins and outs of UCAS on results day mind, you're best off asking
MagicNMedicine
x
, who I've found to be very helpful and informative on this.
Reply 23
Seeing this thread made me start tripping balls again.

Oh well... no sleep tonight.

:frown:

GOOD LUCK!
Original post by JackWoot
Seeing this thread made me start tripping balls again.

Oh well... no sleep tonight.

:frown:

GOOD LUCK!

It'll be reet man.
Reply 25
Original post by yahyahyahs
Some unis send letters to arrive on the morning, so if UCAS crashes, check your post.

What time do you receive your post? I tend to get mine at around 1pm and the earliest any of my friends who live in various parts of town get their's is 11am.
Original post by Rascacielos
There have been numerous threads about this. I've heard that some universities do (by some, I mean two or three) but no one seems to be able to name which ones they are. I guess it depends on the department as well.

I think that your best bet for results' day is almost always going to be UCAS Track (or simply getting your results if your school is open early or your exams are EDEXCEL).

how can you get your results early if you have taken edexcel exams????
Original post by StacFace
What time do you receive your post? I tend to get mine at around 1pm and the earliest any of my friends who live in various parts of town get their's is 11am.

About 8-9am ish.
Reply 28
Original post by StacFace

Me? It depends. I get mine as early as 8:30am - 12 noon. It tends to be around 10:15 though. :frown:
Original post by infernalcradle
how can you get your results early if you have taken edexcel exams????

You can get them at 6am online.
Original post by Rascacielos
You can get them at 6am online.

do you need a login/password to do that????
Reply 31
Original post by ilickbatteries

Scary to know that all of our futures are being decided this coming Monday...

You just gave me a mini heart-attack :'(
Original post by Rob-Bob
You just gave me a mini heart-attack :'(

I have that effect on women.
Reply 33
eugh ... cheesy!! :tongue:
Original post by infernalcradle
do you need a login/password to do that????

Yes, your school should have given you one. If not, I'm not sure what you should do. You can still get your results on paper of course.
Reply 35
Urgh I hope this is true. I'm on a waiting list and hope that I can have some clarity as to whether I've got a place before the 18th!

(I've got an unconditional waiting list place :s)

Quick Reply