The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey I got contacted by Reading univeristy for the Accounting and Business PWC course.....they sent me a supplementary application form to fill out and said the next available assesment centre is in December...anybody applied for this course?
Reply 201
Username: Animod
AS: Maths(A), Further Maths, Physics(A), Chemistry(A), Chinese(A)(first language so yey probably won't be taken into account)
A2 Predicted Grades: Maths(A*), Further Maths(A*), Physics(A*), Chemistry(A)
University: LSE, Warwick, Bath, Exeter, Bristol
My sister is stuck with a choice for ABB. Durham or East Anglia? She says she likes the environment of East Anglia better but the name of Durham sounds better to employers.. What do you think?
Reply 203
Which software do you consider essential for accounting?

I mean which one is MOSTLY used in practice these days???

Thanx a lot.
Reply 204
Original post by Jeeves_90
Hey I got contacted by Reading univeristy for the Accounting and Business PWC course.....they sent me a supplementary application form to fill out and said the next available assesment centre is in December...anybody applied for this course?

I'm applying now but I haven't sent it throught yet. I sent them an e-mail asking if they would consider me coz i dont have a B in English Language or a B in the 3rd A-Level. But i did CFAB and that's my only chance. This is what they said.

Senior Admissions Manager has advised that you are welcome to apply through UCAS and we will take everything in to consideration. If it appears from your UCAS application that you are likely to meet our admissions requirements you will be asked to complete a supplementary application form specifically tailored to applying for this degree programme. You will need to complete the form and return it to us. If, on the basis of your completed supplementary application form, we think you will be well suited to this programme you will be invited to attend an Open Day/Assessment Centre.

If you are successful here you will be formally notified of an offer through the UCAS system

So try your best mate coz you could consider it stage 1 in your application and Good Luck.:smile:
Reply 205
Whoever is applying for pwc degrees at reading and newcastle, how are you preparing for the psychometric tests? i tried shldirect but it repeats the same questions.
Original post by mali167
Whoever is applying for pwc degrees at reading and newcastle, how are you preparing for the psychometric tests? i tried shldirect but it repeats the same questions.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Psychometric-Tests-Familiarise-Recruitment/dp/1845280202

My sister recommended this book for me....she had to go through the same thing when she applied for Bloomberg and used the older version of this book....Im taking the year out so i might as well prepare using this...its really good
Reply 207
Original post by Jeeves_90
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Practice-Psychometric-Tests-Familiarise-Recruitment/dp/1845280202

My sister recommended this book for me....she had to go through the same thing when she applied for Bloomberg and used the older version of this book....Im taking the year out so i might as well prepare using this...its really good

cheers :smile:
Can't believe it... just called Birmingham and they've changed their accounting and finance entry requirements to AAA :frown:
Reply 209
Original post by xcherry_piex
Can't believe it... just called Birmingham and they've changed their accounting and finance entry requirements to AAA :frown:

What. So much for an insurance. They competition must have been crazy. I thought it ranged from ABB-AAB, but there is no change on their website.
(edited 12 years ago)
I know I told them that on the phone and they said they had a meeting late last week and they confirmed it was AAA :frown:
They said it was between AAA and AAB...and will only consider you if you got AAB if you put them down as your first choice...sorry guys
Original post by Competencies
They don't know who your first choice is...

AS IN when you achieve your A level grades if you put them as your first choice and you got AAB then they will allow you entry into the course
:smile:
Im not gunna lie I think I was fortunate too get on the course at Bham for next year...Its only because I was 1 UMS off an A for sociology and the fact I did 4 A levels is why they accepted me
I got 3A* 4As and 3Bs for GCSE
I'm resitting this year to improve my BBC to A* A B and I hope to have my offers and it all done by March
I'm applying to Bristol Nottingham Birmingham and Southampton and I'm still unsure on my last choice?
Am I aiming too high or do i stand a chance at these universities ??
Reply 215
Original post by ArunChopra
I got 3A* 4As and 3Bs for GCSE
I'm resitting this year to improve my BBC to A* A B and I hope to have my offers and it all done by March
I'm applying to Bristol Nottingham Birmingham and Southampton and I'm still unsure on my last choice?
Am I aiming too high or do i stand a chance at these universities ??

Have you managed to get your predicted grades at A*AB after BBC at AS?! I got ABC at AS I'm struggling to get my pred grades up to AAB! If you have though and you honestly feel you can achieve it then go for it, imo schools target grades are bs, and to an extent you should be able to have an influence on initial predicted grades, as at the end of the day they decide which unis and ultimatley how well you can do career wise, but then if you predict too high..you're stuffed. May I ask which A levels you're doing?
Original post by gtcalder
Have you managed to get your predicted grades at A*AB after BBC at AS?! I got ABC at AS I'm struggling to get my pred grades up to AAB! If you have though and you honestly feel you can achieve it then go for it, imo schools target grades are bs, and to an extent you should be able to have an influence on initial predicted grades, as at the end of the day they decide which unis and ultimatley how well you can do career wise, but then if you predict too high..you're stuffed. May I ask which A levels you're doing?

Well when I was applying first time round, I got AAAB, dropped one of the A subjects (as I had to in order to apply to the course), and so had AAB, but I was still predicted AAB (which inevitably screwed me over, as my course required AAA for nearly every uni, and here I am now on a gap year reapplying for A&F)...So consider yourself lucky you're getting predicted up at all.

At the same time though, other people in my year got predicted up, a few up from a C to an A. For example someone I know got ABBB, got predicted AAB (so same as me despite lower achieved grades), and another got predicted AAA after getting ABCC...so higher than me despite getting much lower grades.

The whole predicted grade system is stupidly corrupt. Another person in my year got all ABBB, and so moved to another school that would predict him AAA, and now he's doing the course he wanted to. I mean how was his new school meant to even know he's capable of AAA?? Point is they don't, they abused the system to get a student they thought would boost their reputation.
(edited 12 years ago)
I have got BBC for my actual a-levels, and my I only need to retake three exams and do well in them in order to push my over a-level grades upto an A* A B! I'm doing maths economics and history and I'm retaking maths C4 trying to push that up to an A* as for all my other core modules I have got As and hit high 80s and it was my A2 economics exams that really messed me up overall, but in terms of the universities im applying to isit a long shot or do i have any hope at Bristol or Nottingham
Reply 218
Original post by Confused101
Well when I was applying first time round, I got AAAB, dropped one of the A subjects (as I had to in order to apply to the course), and so had AAB, but I was still predicted AAB (which inevitably screwed me over, as my course required AAA for nearly every uni, and here I am now on a gap year reapplying for A&F)...So consider yourself lucky you're getting predicted up at all.

At the same time though, other people in my year got predicted up, a few up from a C to an A. For example someone I know got ABBB, got predicted AAB (so same as me despite lower achieved grades), and another got predicted AAA after getting ABCC...so higher than me despite getting much lower grades.

The whole predicted grade system is stupidly corrupt. Another person in my year got all ABBB, and so moved to another school that would predict him AAA, and now he's doing the course he wanted to. I mean how was his new school meant to even know he's capable of AAA?? Point is they don't, they abused the system to get a student they thought would boost their reputation.

I have to agree with you, the pred grade system is pretty ridiculous.

If I'm predicted lower than AAB-ABB i dont think that i'll be applying for uni this year, ill work my ass off this year prove the school wrong get some good grades then end up taking a gap year and finding some work in the industry then applying next year. Does taking a gap year put you at a disadvantage? Have you retaken any modules this year or anything? What Unis are you looking at?
It makes sense rather than wasting tens of thousands of pounds on a BBB uni as that is all your predicted grades allowed,it isnt really going to get you into the bigger firms, instead i think that i would just take a year out and reapply the next year.
(edited 12 years ago)
Ok guys got too the Bottom of why bham Uni bumped up thier grades to AAA...some of you may or may not choose to believe me its up to you...
My mates in final Year bham A+F...having spoken to the lecturers he told me this

They bumped up thier grades because this year the Business school was over subscribed as everybody got their grades and got in...they feel they can't do thi again as they think they cant accommodate for another large no of Applicants again.
Also the KPMG school leavers course(even though entry for that is ABB :s) is another reason.....and heres the one thats gunna raise a few eyebrows....they want a decreased number of applications so they can coincide thier stats with the recent tabloid story of decreased applicants to university....
They want to be on the same level as LSE, WARWICK
I stress that the course at Bham is a good course...BUT its not AAA worthy not just yet anyway...its graduate prospects are good BUT not as good as Lancaster, Loughborough, Nottingham, Southampton and Manchester...who are all AAB entry....Im not gunna lie this recent event has swayyed my choice...I dont care about the entry requirements Id much rather go to Nottingham or loughborough who have better Graduate prosepcts...it all seems a bit dodgy too me what Bham are doing

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending