The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by iheartliam
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*A*AAAAB
AS Grades: Economics A, Biology B, Chemistry B, Maths B
Predicted A2 grades (and subjects): Economics A, Biology A, Maths B
Universities likely to apply to: Southampton, Kent, Coventry, Oxford Brooks, Middlesex?
Extras: Resitting Maths modules (got 2 Cs)

what do you think are my chances of getting in to Southampton..?

hi, your profile is very good. I'd say you have a great chance of getting an offer from southampton.
Only if you got a few more a's at as, you would have been a candididate for LSE or warwick.
Reply 41
Hey, another A+F prospect here, hoping to get some advice on what universities are in reach.

GCSES: A*A*A*A*AAABBC
AS: AAAAB (Economics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Critical Thinking)
A2: AACB (Economics, Maths, Chemistry, Critical Thinking)

I'm on a gap year and retaking some exams and will be predicted an A* in Economics and an A in Chemistry. Also taking AS further maths and will be predicted an A.

So my profile would be A*AABaa with a mixture of already achieved results and a few predicted grades.

I have some good extra curricular activities and work experience and I feel like my personal statement is coming along really well.

Do you think the likes of Warwick and Bristol are out of reach because of my original A2 grades?
Reply 42
Original post by Bacharach
Hey, another A+F prospect here, hoping to get some advice on what universities are in reach.

GCSES: A*A*A*A*AAABBC
AS: AAAAB (Economics, Maths, Chemistry, Biology, Critical Thinking)
A2: AACB (Economics, Maths, Chemistry, Critical Thinking)

I'm on a gap year and retaking some exams and will be predicted an A* in Economics and an A in Chemistry. Also taking AS further maths and will be predicted an A.

So my profile would be A*AABaa with a mixture of already achieved results and a few predicted grades.

I have some good extra curricular activities and work experience and I feel like my personal statement is coming along really well.

Do you think the likes of Warwick and Bristol are out of reach because of my original A2 grades?

your GCSE's and as's are fine. Its goes a little mad at A2, and Warwick want you to achieve the A*AA requirement in one sitting, so although you missed it first time. You would have to do 3 subjects this year. The other issue is that is looks as though its taking you 3 years rather than 2 to achieve the requirement. But i think you great as's and GCSE give you a shot, just depends on how many people apply at Warwick, but you have a chance with bristol.
Reply 43
Do Birmingham seriously not really care about your personal statement. So if you have the grades you will get offers.
Reply 44
Original post by Alpha5
your GCSE's and as's are fine. Its goes a little mad at A2, and Warwick want you to achieve the A*AA requirement in one sitting, so although you missed it first time. You would have to do 3 subjects this year. The other issue is that is looks as though its taking you 3 years rather than 2 to achieve the requirement. But i think you great as's and GCSE give you a shot, just depends on how many people apply at Warwick, but you have a chance with bristol.

Thanks for the reply, pretty similar to how I feel.

On the Warwick website it says either AAAb or A*AA, do you know when they use the different offers? I'm not horribly far of the AAAb offer with my first sitting.

If you were in my position, would you apply to Warwick and LSE?
Reply 45
Original post by Alpha5
Do Birmingham seriously not really care about your personal statement. So if you have the grades you will get offers.

Yep...I went to the open day and spoke to the head of the department...they will only look at your statement
1) If your predictions are below borderline or your AS level grades are BBC
2) If you narrowly miss your conditional offer with them (BUT ONLY IF YOU PUT THEM AS YOUR FIRST CHOICE).

bare in mind their business school are having a meeting this week to discuss an increase in entry requirements for IB and BM so there entry requirements for A+F may increase too AAA-AAB
Reply 46
And before you ask I know this because I rang bham business school admissions this week (Due to me wanting to know the status of my application lol)

Bham business school are not looking at applications until after this Wednesday at least....since thats when the meeting with regards to the entry requirements will take place...in response to the business school being over subscribed with applicants from the previous year who achieved their conditional offers :/
Reply 47
Original post by Bacharach
Thanks for the reply, pretty similar to how I feel.

On the Warwick website it says either AAAb or A*AA, do you know when they use the different offers? I'm not horribly far of the AAAb offer with my first sitting.

If you were in my position, would you apply to Warwick and LSE?

well its a risk at both. although your academic profile is good, i think you could get into trouble because if you do get on offer it will be higher than A*AA to compensate for having an extra year. So it depends, but ring them up. LSE is stupidly competitive, it prob not worth the hassle, although try if u want to take a gamble.
Reply 48
Original post by Jeeves_90
And before you ask I know this because I rang bham business school admissions this week (Due to me wanting to know the status of my application lol)

Bham business school are not looking at applications until after this Wednesday at least....since thats when the meeting with regards to the entry requirements will take place...in response to the business school being over subscribed with applicants from the previous year who achieved their conditional offers :/

oh cool, so would you say i will get an offer. my profile in on the first page, under alpha5. Thanks mate.
Have you already applied? if so what other unis have you gone for?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 49
Yeah u'll get an offer no problem lol
Reply 50
Yeah u'll get an offer no problem lol

Cheers. Just want LSE and Warwick.
Reply 51
Original post by Alpha5
hi, your profile is very good. I'd say you have a great chance of getting an offer from southampton.
Only if you got a few more a's at as, you would have been a candididate for LSE or warwick.

Thanks, I hope so! Also, do you know how heavily based Southampton are on the personal statement? or do they just rely on grades?

Original post by Competencies
I'd of thought very good.

Not tempted to aim a little higher? Maybe give someone like Durham or Bristol a shot.

Thanks, I'm just worried about completely flopping my exams and not having a suitable backup. I was thinking about Bristol, but with my Cs in Maths I doubt I'll make the cut :smile:
Reply 52
JUST got an Unconditional from Nottingham XD!!
...they got back too me really quick Now just waiting on Birmingham that will probably take a week or two lol

Anybody else thinking of going Nottingham or bham? :biggrin:
JUST got an Unconditional from Nottingham XD!!

Congratulations!

I'm in a less lucrative position grade-wise. I have BBC (Maths, Physics, Psychology) but am also studying for the AAT Level 3 Diploma. I had 4 unis I was certain I'm applying for and was thinking of just using the 5th place for a really low insurance. But then I decided to go out on a limb and email some of the higher up unis, inform them of my situation and see if they'd consider me. Most of course said no but I wasn't expecting anything great, but now both York and Nottingham have said they'll consider me which is nice!

So I'm thinking, may as well put one of them down as the 5th choice if theres even a remote chance. However now I can't decide between the two :P I know York really well, I already did a year there on the Physics course (dropped out after realising I couldn't take anymore quantum mechanics :P) but I know very little about Nottingham so could anyone tell me a little about the uni itself? I can find lots out online about the course but if anyone has actually visited I'd love to know their thoughts!
Original post by Alpha5

Where do they say they want you to achieve A*AA in one sitting? I phoned Warwick up and both their Economics and A&F departments said resitters will be considered (even if they didn't achieve A*AA first time). They just said it'll be a disadvantage...but if you surpass the minimum offer by quite a bit I'd say that would cut the disadvantage out more.
Reply 55
Original post by Confused101
Where do they say they want you to achieve A*AA in one sitting? I phoned Warwick up and both their Economics and A&F departments said resitters will be considered (even if they didn't achieve A*AA first time). They just said it'll be a disadvantage...but if you surpass the minimum offer by quite a bit I'd say that would cut the disadvantage out more.

sorryy, i mean if lets say you got AAA in year 13, and then retook one of the a's and got A*AA, then you have not got the A*AA in one sitting. So the uni is likely to want higher than the basic requirement.
Reply 56
Hi, I am intending to apply for A+F at LSE and Warwick, LSE being the main one that I desperately would like to get into.
I have 6A*s 4A's and 2C's from GCSE
4A's and 2B's one being general studies from AS
I belive I will be predicted A*A*A* for A2 and have work experience in a bank and hopefully some accounting work experience for next summer.
I was wondering what my chances are? I am really struggling on my PS and am a little worried this will be my downfall. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks beforehand.
Reply 57
Original post by Alpha5
So the uni is likely to want higher than the basic requirement.

The basic requirement for Warwick is either AAAb or A*AA, it would be interesting to know when each one is used. Perhaps A*AA is the offer often given to resit candidates...

So a prediction of A*AA as a resit candidate might not be the end of the world especially if you've done well at AS.

Also, in regards to the personal statement, when you said 65% academic and 35% ECs, do things like Target 2.0 count as academic or ECs? Would accounting work experience count as academic or ECs?
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 58
Anybody applying for the Flying start degree at Newcastle University for 2012 entry?
Reply 59
I'm applying to Warwick, Bham, Notts, Manc and LSE. I know i barely have a chance with LSE but it's just to fill a spot up.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest