The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
I'm studying AAT Level 4, what are my chances of getting into uni?
Original post by sophxxx
I'm studying AAT Level 4, what are my chances of getting into uni?

Which uni? :smile:
Because a lot of unis will take you on with just the Level 3 and even better ones will accept a Level 4. Some even allow direct entry into the second year with the AAT Level 4.

Full details of exemptions are on the AAT website: http://www.aat.org.uk/content/item2645/

But it's best to ring up any uni you're interested in and ask, that's what I did :smile:
(I'm doing Level 3 atm btw)
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 82
I got an offer for Bham uni today aswell...anybody else heard anything yet?
Reply 83
Original post by Choppyy
Are those completed A2 levels?

Yeah
Reply 84
Original post by mali167
Yeah

I'd guess you would stand a good chance as they use other tests and interviews to determine suitable candidates. Best worth contacting an admissions tutor?
Are all accounting and finance degrees taught as though no one has any knowledge on the subject at the start?

I ask because none really specify specific A-levels, except occassionally maths.
Original post by brokenlogic18
Are all accounting and finance degrees taught as though no one has any knowledge on the subject at the start?

I ask because none really specify specific A-levels, except occassionally maths.

Yup. People don't usually have a levels such as accounting anyway. Maths is all you need to do well in A&F
GCSE's: A*A*AABBBBBC

Predicted A2 grades: BBB (History, English litererature, Psychology)

Applying to Hull, East Anglia, Reading and Sheffield.

I'm quite nervous that I won't get any offers now. My personal statement is apparently very good but my grades aren't exactly glowing :s-smilie:
Reply 88
Original post by KitKat1212
GCSE's: A*A*AABBBBBC

Predicted A2 grades: BBB (History, English litererature, Psychology)

Applying to Hull, East Anglia, Reading and Sheffield.

I'm quite nervous that I won't get any offers now. My personal statement is apparently very good but my grades aren't exactly glowing :s-smilie:

Nice choices! Where are you hoping to firm? What were you AS grades like?
Original post by Choppyy
Nice choices! Where are you hoping to firm? What were you AS grades like?

I'd lovelovelove to firm Sheffield! I'm applying for two courses there; accounting and financial management (ABB) and accounting and financial management and information management (BBB). But I wouldn't mind the rest of my choices.I got BCC at AS :frown: In history I was 2 marks off a B and 1 mark off a B in literature, so I'm resitting a few papers in January.

What about you?
Reply 90
Original post by KitKat1212
I'd lovelovelove to firm Sheffield! I'm applying for two courses there; accounting and financial management (ABB) and accounting and financial management and information management (BBB). But I wouldn't mind the rest of my choices.I got BCC at AS :frown: In history I was 2 marks off a B and 1 mark off a B in literature, so I'm resitting a few papers in January.

What about you?

Yes I went to Sheffield last week and it seemed to be a very vibrant place to be for sure.

If I get all 5 offers I'll be firming Warwick with either Newcastle or Edinburgh as my insurance. Durham is my other definite place to apply to at the moment and I'm currently deciding between Bristol, Loughborough and Manchester for my 5th choice!
Reply 91
Just out of curiosity people... Which uni is better for accounting Birmingham or Aston? I havent payed much attention to aston...And yes i know they have the placement year...but that can be overcome with summer internships I believe ????
Reply 92
Original post by Jeeves_90
JUST got an Unconditional from Nottingham XD!!
...they got back too me really quick Now just waiting on Birmingham that will probably take a week or two lol

Anybody else thinking of going Nottingham or bham? :biggrin:

oh wow, just what you wanted?! congrats!
Reply 93
Original post by iheartliam
oh wow, just what you wanted?! congrats!

Hey thanks...yeh Nottingham and bham would be my top choices...still waiting on reading, southampton and loughborough....
But ultimatley it would be a decision between bham and notts....what about you? where are you applying/ heard anything back ?
Reply 94
Just out of curiosity people... Which uni is better for accounting Birmingham or Aston? I havent payed much attention to aston...And yes i know they have the placement year...but that can be overcome with summer internships I believe ????

Aston is good for accounting and they have a placement year. However, a lot of their course is management based as well.
Also, the uni is no where as nice as Bham and you have a college and BCU right next to it :frown:
Reply 95
Original post by uxa595
Aston is good for accounting and they have a placement year. However, a lot of their course is management based as well.
Also, the uni is no where as nice as Bham and you have a college and BCU right next to it :frown:

Ur right about that...the campus at Aston is whack....but the accounting and management course is good...

However I don't feel the need for a placement year... it definatly looks good on the c.v but I think you have just as good job prospects if you took spring and summer internships during the course of Uni....
Anybody agree?

But yeah the bham uni campus is nice...its a good environment for study for defo :smile:
Reply 96
Hey thanks...yeh Nottingham and bham would be my top choices...still waiting on reading, southampton and loughborough....
But ultimatley it would be a decision between bham and notts....what about you? where are you applying/ heard anything back ?

Nope, just sent my application off 2 days ago. Now it's just tense times. Applying to Soton, Kent, Coventry, Oxford Brookes and Middlesex.

I think having spring/summer internships would do you just as well as having a placement year. I'm only applying for the 3 yr course anyway. I don't feel the need for that gap in between.
Username: GrandHustle
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAB
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths A, Geography A, English Lit A, French B
Subjects for A2: Maths, Geography, English Lit, A*A*A
Universities likely to apply to: Leeds, Newcastle, Lancaster, Nottingham, either Manchester, York or Durham.
Extras: Undecided between Manchester and York and Durham. I'm went to see Manchester today (which I wasn't too impressed by), but will look at Manchester, York and Durham and then will make my decision. I am a bit worried that York doesn't seem to be on any A+F League Tables :s-smilie: Anyone know what it's like? Durham has lower entry requirements than all of the rest (ABB) but is well respected, anyone know why there are lower requirements, or has anyone done the course and know if it is a good course despite the low requirement? Also, I'm resitting French AS and English Lit AS to get higher AS grade in French, and help overall tally of points in English.
How do you think my chances are, and anyone know about York for A+F and Durham's course, please?
Thanks
Reply 98
Original post by GrandHustle
Username: GrandHustle
GCSEs: A*A*A*A*AAAAAAAB
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Maths A, Geography A, English Lit A, French B
Subjects for A2: Maths, Geography, English Lit, A*A*A
Universities likely to apply to: Leeds, Newcastle, Lancaster, Nottingham, either Manchester, York or Durham.
Extras: Undecided between Manchester and York and Durham. I'm went to see Manchester today (which I wasn't too impressed by), but will look at Manchester, York and Durham and then will make my decision. I am a bit worried that York doesn't seem to be on any A+F League Tables :s-smilie: Anyone know what it's like? Durham has lower entry requirements than all of the rest (ABB) but is well respected, anyone know why there are lower requirements, or has anyone done the course and know if it is a good course despite the low requirement? Also, I'm resitting French AS and English Lit AS to get higher AS grade in French, and help overall tally of points in English.
How do you think my chances are, and anyone know about York for A+F and Durham's course, please?
Thanks

Welcome to the thread! Are your AS grades AAAB? If so you have an excellent chance of every uni you have listed.

Why weren't you impressed by Manchester? York is a nice city and a good student place to live in, haven't heard much about their A+F course though.
Original post by Choppyy
Welcome to the thread! Are your AS grades AAAB? If so you have an excellent chance of every uni you have listed.

Why weren't you impressed by Manchester? York is a nice city and a good student place to live in, haven't heard much about their A+F course though.

Thanks. And yes they are, although hopefully they will be AAAA after January, but the Uni's wont see that obviously in my application. And thanks, that's encouraging after reading some of people's grades on here I thought mine were average, but hopefully I can work hard and get the courses I want.
I don't really know what it was about Manchester really that put me off. The actual Uni was nice, but the surrounding area put me off slightly, the course didn't seem as specific as other one's that I have looked at. I think at the end of it all I couldn't see myself living there and the course doesn't quite deliver what I wanted. I've looked into York and Durham this evening and both look like good alternatives. York still worries me about the lack of A+F info (as you reiterated), whilst Durham has higher accommodation costs than most of the other's that I have considered which may hold me back in deciding. Either way I think either York or Durham will fill my final space, although I was recommended to look at Warwick and LSE (which I hadn't considered due to the distance they are from where I live) and will look into all of my options to decide on the most appropriate one for me. By the way, has anyone been to Nottingham yet, I missed the open day but the course really intrigues me and I've heard nothing but good things about it from friends. I'm applying blind, but am certain that I want to apply there even without seeing it in person. Has anyone else been who can give me a second opinion? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending