Results are out! Find what you need...fast. Get quick advice or join the chat
Hey there Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

Announcements Posted on
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Just got LSE offer today - AAA. Absolutely ecstatic atm!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ashkan123)
    Just got LSE offer today - AAA. Absolutely ecstatic atm!
    Smashed it!!!
    • 3 followers

ReputationRep:
    Guys I'm in need of some help! Basically I didn't put the work in last year and consequently under achieved at AS, ending up with ABC. My teachers therefore at a push were only prepared to predict me ABB, which I eventually (after a lot of reasoning) managed to get up to AAB, in order to broaden the range of universities I could apply for.

I ended up applying for Exeter, Lancaster, Durham, Kent and Oxford Brookes and I have managed to receive offers from all of them. I was set on firming Durham, mainly due to its reputation, however was not pleased with the campus on a recent visit, which combined with the distance away from home, wrote it off my list.

In my recent exams I did a lot better than expected and I'm on course for 3 A's (an A* in business if I match the performance of my unit 3 exam in the summer). However all my choices now don't appeal after knowing that I could do a bit better.

Is my only real option therefore to reapply next year (which I assume it is) and how do you think many of the uni's offering higher requirements would view a gap year? Obviously I would take up some work experience etc. What do you guys think?

Thanks a lot
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    If you get A*AA and really want to go to Warwick or LSE, or apply for a different course altogether, then by all means reapply - it's your education and money so you have to be happy with it. I wouldn't reapply to get into anywhere other unis because the unis you have now are great and shouldn't really make you want to go for more.

If you get 3 As or lower I don't think you should reapply, it would be a risk to rely on getting offers from better unis than you have now, and you could end up with the same unis you had this year and see that you've taken a gap year for no reason.

At the end of the day it's up to you but I say don't make any rash decisions until you get your results in August. You can always reject your offers and opt to reapply anytime before the course starts.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Which of the following would provide the greater prospects for a career in accounting and finance?

Aston University - Business and Management
    University of Nottingam - Finance, Accouting and Management
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

I know I posted this a long time ago but I still need help! Could you have a look and help me PLEASEEEE!

Much appreciated.

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/show...7#post35723727
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The_Sphere)
    Which of the following would provide the greater prospects for a career in accounting and finance?

Aston University - Business and Management
    University of Nottingam - Finance, Accouting and Management
    Nottingham
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uxa595)
    daymmmmm, i need 74 for an A in econ , which i think will be hard to get so i'm retaking unit 1 to lower that req to around 65-69 hopefully.
    In maths i need to average 62UMS in S1 and C4 which should be straight forward i honestly cba with the A* as i don't need it for any the warwick offer. I'd rather reduce the pressure of aiming for an A* and focus more on econ.

Also, i've firmed warwick, insured brum and declined LSE
    Just saw this... what made decline LSE?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joshgoldman)
    Just saw this... what made decline LSE?
    I'm guessing that says what made me decline LSE?

I get more grants at Warwick plus i stay at home (which doesn't bother me). I get 4.5k a year in grants, my tuition fees are only 7k a year and i won't have to pay to live in london.

Both unis are great for A&F but i don't see the point in paying out around 20k more then i have to when i can still go to a great uni with similar prospects.
    • 5 followers

ReputationRep:
    I'm guessing that says what made me decline LSE?

I get more grants at Warwick plus i stay at home (which doesn't bother me). I get 4.5k a year in grants, my tuition fees are only 7k a year and i won't have to pay to live in london.

Both unis are great for A&F but i don't see the point in paying out around 20k more then i have to when i can still go to a great uni with similar prospects.
    Yeah sorry, was tired :angel:. Fair enough! Good luck to you at Warwick - might see you there!
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    do you think my teacher sending them a change in the predicted grade help improve my chances to get an offer from durham? :P
    the change had been form ABB to AAB
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    which is better to insure - Lancaster or Exeter??
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how everyone here thinks Durham is good for A&F. Unis like Bham, Manc and Notts are easily better.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    What's better for Accounting and Finance between University of Birmingham and University of Nottingham? And why is Birmingham ranked like 54th for Accounting and Finance?
    • 1 follower

ReputationRep:
    Manchester vs Southampton?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    It's funny how everyone here thinks Durham is good for A&F. Unis like Bham, Manc and Notts are easily better.
    Why do you think Birminham is better for A&F than Durham?
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    Can anyway tell me how good the accounting course with a placement year (requirements AAA) at uni of manchester is?
    • 6 followers

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nakz_)
    Why do you think Birminham is better for A&F than Durham?
    Birmingham has been running it's A&F course for many years and it's in the birmingham business school, which again has been going for many years and therefore it's got a decent and longstanding rep.
    Durham A&F is a new course at the new stocksomething campus on the other side of the city in a new business school. Neither the course nor school have any sort of rep and not they haven't even gotten 1 set of students through the full 3 yrs yet.

(Original post by madrid90)
    Can anyway tell me how good the accounting course with a placement year (requirements AAA) at uni of manchester is?
    It's a good course and if you value the placement year, a great course but i don't believe it's to the standard of LSE/Warwick (both AAA) and potentially a few others.
    If you can get those sort of grades, i would recommend going to LSE/Warwick and taking a year out to do anything you wish which they will most likely allow.
    • 0 followers

ReputationRep:
    it is mentioned in warwick's email that they will make the majority of the decisions by the end of march....now i am a bit worry whether i am the minority :/
    By the way, how do everyone think about Bristol? I realized that their business department is a bit small Does it really matter?

Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. By joining you agree to our Ts and Cs, privacy policy and site rules

2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: July 23, 2012
New on TSR

A-level secrets uncovered

Learn from the experience of last year's A-level students

Article updates
Reputation gems:
You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.