The Student Room Group

Accounting and Finance applicants for 2012 entry

For all of you interested in A+F courses for 2012 entry please leave your details in the following format:

Username
GCSEs:
Predicted AS grades (and subjects):
Subjects for A2:
Universities likely to apply to:
Extras:

Best of luck to everybody applying this year!
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Any more prospective A+F students? Has everybody started the drafts of their personal statements yet?
Reply 2
Original post by Choppyy
Any more prospective A+F students? Has everybody started the drafts of their personal statements yet?

yes, mines coming along pretty well. But its a little to academic.
Hopefully LSE and Warwick give me an offer though, i have done so much bloody work. Whats your take on my chances, i mines the 3rd post
Reply 3
Original post by Alpha5
yes, mines coming along pretty well. But its a little to academic.
Hopefully LSE and Warwick give me an offer though, i have done so much bloody work. Whats your take on my chances, i mines the 3rd post

You're an exceptionally strong candidate, I'd make sure your PS is up to scratch, because on the face of it, that would be the only thing that would let you down in my view. Are you applying just for A+F or for any other subjects?
Reply 4
Original post by annika94
Username: annika94
GCSEs:A*A*AAAAAABC
Predicted AS grades (and subjects): Philosophy A, Maths C, Law C, Economics D
Subjects for A2: Philosophy, Maths, Law
Universities likely to apply to: LSE, Manchester, Cardiff, Durham, Edinburgh
Extras: Retaking AS Maths C and Law C

Hey I notice you're thinking of doing accountancy at Edinburgh. I did the first year of accountancy at Edinburgh as one of my outside courses, if you have any questions please feel free to ask. ie incase you want to swat up on reading list before interviews etc. Maizy :smile:

Ps I would highly recommend it at Edinburgh - the business school is very organised and there is lots of help available unlike some of the different schools at Edinburgh.
Reply 5
Original post by Alpha5
Thankyou mate.
My ps is apparently sounding good, but its really academic and shows my passion.
and yes, im only applying for A+C, i have been told to go for Economics, but i'm a weak candidate for Eco at LSE, UCL, Cambridge and Warwick. But A+C is really interesting aswell, plus chances have it ,its easier to get into LSE Accounting and Finance than it is for Nottingham Economics. So less work and a far better uni on your CV. A+C all the way!!!.

What do LSE and WBS look for the most in candidates, would you say?, cus everyone has different opinions

I'd say Grades predicted > Grades achieved > PS passion > Work experience
Reply 6
Original post by Alpha5
By the way choppyy, how did you do at AS, cus if you got what u said above then you too my friend will have a good chance.

3 As 2 Bs. A 'B' grade is currently being remarked, but I think I'm in a strong enough position at the moment.

Really want some offers!
Reply 7
Original post by Choppyy
3 As 2 Bs. A 'B' grade is currently being remarked, but I think I'm in a strong enough position at the moment.

Really want some offers!

I'm sure you will get some offers, are you taking 3A2's or 4.
so what are you predicted?

What you said earlier is true, but i would say that
for Warwick its
predicted grades>personal statement>AS grades> GCSE's>Work experience

LSE
Predicted grades>AS grades>GCSE's>personal statement passion>work exp (not really that important tbh)
Reply 8
Original post by Alpha5
I'm sure you will get some offers, are you taking 3A2's or 4.
so what are you predicted?

What you said earlier is true, but i would say that
for Warwick its
predicted grades>personal statement>AS grades> GCSE's>Work experience

LSE
Predicted grades>AS grades>GCSE's>personal statement passion>work exp (not really that important tbh)

I'm currently taking 4 with A*AAA predicted. How about you?

It's interesting what you say about LSE as apparently their course is more rigorous however (unless things have changed since the last time I checked) Warwick want an A in Maths whereas LSE don't specify?
Reply 9
Original post by Choppyy
I'm currently taking 4 with A*AAA predicted. How about you?

It's interesting what you say about LSE as apparently their course is more rigorous however (unless things have changed since the last time I checked) Warwick want an A in Maths whereas LSE don't specify?

i'm doing 3 with A*A*A prediction, but i dropped an as-level A grade as it was in a boring subject, and instead im doing an EPQ -A grade prediction
username : blackjenny2006
gcse's : A*ABBBBBBBB
AS levels: maths, biology, german, history, politics
predicted grades: A*AB
unis: brunel, oxford brooks, kent, durham
Reply 11
Original post by blackjenny2006
username : blackjenny2006
gcse's : A*ABBBBBBBB
AS levels: maths, biology, german, history, politics
predicted grades: A*AB
unis: brunel, oxford brooks, kent, durham

Do you have a 5th choice as of yet? What are you taking to A2?
Original post by Choppyy
Do you have a 5th choice as of yet? What are you taking to A2?

no i havent got a 5th choice yet
my a2's are german history and maths:smile:
Reply 13
First remark came through yesterday and it went up to an A! Taking my results to AAAAB :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Choppyy
First remark came through yesterday and it went up to an A! Taking my results to AAAAB :smile:

nice one mate. just got a question, i one of my subjects i got a c in 1 of the modules but still got a good a grade overall, will this look really bad on my ucas form. Plus i also got a b in one module of another subkject aswell, still got an a. So do module grades play a massive part or is it more so about overall grades.
Reply 15
Original post by Alpha5
nice one mate. just got a question, i one of my subjects i got a c in 1 of the modules but still got a good a grade overall, will this look really bad on my ucas form. Plus i also got a b in one module of another subkject aswell, still got an a. So do module grades play a massive part or is it more so about overall grades.

I would suggest that if you are retaking that module to boost your overall UMS score that you put down your module grade in the UCAS form and then add it again as 'pending' so that Unis can understand you are retaking to boost your grade.

Module grades only play a massive part for Oxbridge/extremely competitive courses such as Medicine/Law etc. Other than that, it is overall grades that count.

Edit: Neg for helping someone out and answering a question? Some people do have too much time on their hands.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 16
Username: SanaBozi
GCSEs: A*A*A*AAA BBBBB
Predicted A2 grades (and subjects): Maths A*, Economics A*, Physics A*, G.P A
Universities likely to apply to: Warwick, Manchester, Cardiff, Newcastle, Reading
Extras: a lot of extra curicullar and related work experience
Reply 17
Original post by SanaBozi
Username: SanaBozi
GCSEs: A*A*A*AAA BBBBB
Predicted A2 grades (and subjects): Maths A*, Economics A*, Physics A*, G.P A
Universities likely to apply to: Warwick, Manchester, Cardiff, Newcastle, Reading
Extras: a lot of extra curicullar and related work experience

Very nice grades! What were your AS results like? Which choices will you be firming/insuring?
Reply 18
i didnt gave As level....will directly give A2.........wat do u mean firming/insuring?
Reply 19
Original post by SanaBozi
i didnt gave As level....will directly give A2.........wat do u mean firming/insuring?

When you get offers from universities, say you get 4 offers, you would then have to declare on UCAS which 2 choices you would prefer to go to. Your 1st choice is called your firm choice and your back up option is called your insurance. Hope that helps, unless you're an international student.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending