The Student Room Group
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester

Part-time Job

How much can a first-year student working an average job part time expect to be paid per hour? Just trying to plan a budget here.

A few examples of the sort of jobs students do as well as the amount they receive would be nice :smile:

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
alot of students do bar work, restaurant work, retail shops, call centre work.

rates of pay will vary but you can generally expect to be paid minimum wage - which for 18 -20 year olds its £4.92 an hour and £5.93 for 21 and over.

call centre work tends to pay more - i work in a call centre on £7 an hour.

hope that helps!
University of Manchester
University of Manchester
Manchester
Reply 2
Can't answer any better than Amy, however froma budgeting point of view budget for £5.00 per hour and you won't be far wrong, plus any extra will then be a welcome bonus.

rates of pay will vary but you can generally expect to be paid minimum wage - which for 18 -20 year olds its £4.92 an hour and £5.93 for 21 and over.

hope that helps!

Is it like very hard to find the call center job? And also are there any minimum hours you need to work?
Reply 4
Original post by gunnerkanishk
Is it like very hard to find the call center job? And also are there any minimum hours you need to work?

Its not too hard to find call centre work. i'm going to be working at the john lewis call centre in didsbury. They are still recruiting so if you want to apply you can on www.jlpjobs.com. Minimum hours there are 12-15 pw which I think is manageable starting wage is £7.27 which aint too shabby! :cool:
Reply 5
Original post by chanchan
Its not too hard to find call centre work. i'm going to be working at the john lewis call centre in didsbury. They are still recruiting so if you want to apply you can on www.jlpjobs.com. Minimum hours there are 12-15 pw which I think is manageable starting wage is £7.27 which aint too shabby! :cool:

Just went and looked on there and there are only full time positions left to apply for :frown:
Reply 6
Oh no!

They must have recently removed it.
Reply 7
Original post by chanchan
Oh no!

indeed, oh well thanks for the heads up anyway :biggrin:
Oh no!

Are there any other call centers you could tell us about?
Reply 9
Original post by gunnerkanishk
Are there any other call centers you could tell us about?

Go look on the net he's not here to doa job search for you :rolleyes:
Reply 10
Original post by amylynne

hope that helps!

Thanks for the info, Amy! :biggrin:
Reply 11
Original post by dipless
Can't answer any better than Amy, however froma budgeting point of view budget for £5.00 per hour and you won't be far wrong, plus any extra will then be a welcome bonus.

Yeah, that's a good idea, thanks :smile:
Go look on the net he's not here to doa job search for you

Didn't mean it that way. Whoops. sorry :P
Reply 13
Original post by jjo92
Yeah, that's a good idea, thanks :smile:

No worries good, luck :smile: The state of my budget scares me :tongue:
Reply 14
There are LOADS of call centres in Manchester! Direct Line, Esure, Ticketmaster, JD Williams to name just a few!
I work for Ticketmaster and ill be working around 20 hours per week - they have an option for part time flexi at my place where you are guaranteed a minimum of 5 hours a week - which is great if you dont necessarily need to rely on the income from the job as one week you may get 25 hours and then the next only 10 - so if you need a set income to budget to then you will be looking a minimum contract of 16-20 hours a week.

http://www.livenationentertainmentcareers.co.uk/ << Ticketmaster recruitment site - you may need to send a speculative CV - I did and got the job :smile:

With most jobs you will need to send a speculative CV as they don't always post their part time roles - I learnt this through my job search at the beginning of the year - If there is an email address or an option to "contact us" on the website and there are no part time vacancies showing through the job search i would strongly recommend contacting them and attaching an up to date CV along with a covering note - at the end of the day if you don't ask you will never get!

Amy :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by amylynne
There are LOADS of call centres in Manchester! Direct Line, Esure, Ticketmaster, JD Williams to name just a few!
I work for Ticketmaster and ill be working around 20 hours per week - they have an option for part time flexi at my place where you are guaranteed a minimum of 5 hours a week - which is great if you dont necessarily need to rely on the income from the job as one week you may get 25 hours and then the next only 10 - so if you need a set income to budget to then you will be looking a minimum contract of 16-20 hours a week.

http://www.livenationentertainmentcareers.co.uk/ << Ticketmaster recruitment site - you may need to send a speculative CV - I did and got the job :smile:

With most jobs you will need to send a speculative CV as they don't always post their part time roles - I learnt this through my job search at the beginning of the year - If there is an email address or an option to "contact us" on the website and there are no part time vacancies showing through the job search i would strongly recommend contacting them and attaching an up to date CV along with a covering note - at the end of the day if you don't ask you will never get!

Amy :smile:

Thanks a lot for this info! I didn't even know about the speculative CV! :smile:
Reply 16
jjo92
How much can a first-year student working an average job part time expect to be paid per hour? Just trying to plan a budget here.

A few examples of the sort of jobs students do as well as the amount they receive would be nice :smile:

Thanks!

Most jobs I've seen range from about minimum wage up to about £7 per hour and they're typically in distribution (leaflets, brochures, etc), cold calling, retail and other things like that.

I'm currently on StudentJobs, receive emails from the careers service and apply for jobs every so often. It's very difficult to find anything, but I'm kind of hoping something nice comes along.

I'm more into casual work right now and it suits me better. I do a lot of outreach work with the university which pays very well, but the hours aren't consistent. The typical rate is £10 per hour plus the cost of transport. I also charge any tutees I may be working with the same rate.

I hope that helps.

Darren
Reply 17
Original post by DPLSK

Original post by DPLSK
Most jobs I've seen range from about minimum wage up to about £7 per hour and they're typically in distribution (leaflets, brochures, etc), cold calling, retail and other things like that.

I'm currently on StudentJobs, receive emails from the careers service and apply for jobs every so often. It's very difficult to find anything, but I'm kind of hoping something nice comes along.

I'm more into casual work right now and it suits me better. I do a lot of outreach work with the university which pays very well, but the hours aren't consistent. The typical rate is £10 per hour plus the cost of transport. I also charge any tutees I may be working with the same rate.

I hope that helps.

Darren

What exactly is outreach work?
Reply 18
jjo92

What exactly is outreach work?

You're welcome.

Outreach work is work the university does on the part of the community. Typically this means encouraging local schools to consider the University of Manchester as one of the universities they might like to go to.

You have to get to know the people who run these things to have any shot of being offered the opportunity and more importantly turn up whenever they request you. It's not part-time work though, it is casual work.

Darren
Original post by dipless
No worries good, luck :smile: The state of my budget scares me :tongue:

If you go on the Union website they're already recruiting for jobs there September.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending