The Student Room Group

Final Year Difficulty

Hi there,

I have just done my sums and I have worked out that I will need 65-66 in my final year to get a first overall.

I just wanted to know from those who have done their final year as to how they found it and how achievable 65-66 is? I will be doing a 30-credit dissertation as part of my last year also.

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Well I took 3rd year modules in my second year, the difficulty wasn't too different. So I'd expect the same difficulty. Seeing as you've gotten a first in your second year just do more of the same and you'll be fine. No idea about dissertations though, there's a thread somewhere on TSR about them, which you might find useful.
Reply 2
Original post by yoyo462001
Well I took 3rd year modules in my second year, the difficulty wasn't too different. So I'd expect the same difficulty. Seeing as you've gotten a first in your second year just do more of the same and you'll be fine. No idea about dissertations though, there's a thread somewhere on TSR about them, which you might find useful.

Oh okay! That's great!

How did you manage to take 3rd year modules in your second year?
Reply 3
It will depend entirely on the modules you choose, the lecturers you have for said modules, and ultimately the amount of work you put in. People do get Firsts in their final year, and I know of one student (admittedly he was Chinese) who got 100% in one of their Year 3 modules.

The people who tend to average above 70% in Year 3 are those who generally attend all lectures and seminars, do more than just the minimum reading, and treat studying like a 9-5 job from Monday to Friday. It's very feasible to also have fun in your final year, go out, and also have an active social life and take part in societies/clubs... It's just you have to manage your time very carefully and not waste time by chilling around doing nothing as is very common in first and second year.

If you only need to average 66% in Year 3 to graduate with a First, then you should be fine.
Reply 4

You took third year modules in second year? Awesome. Which ones? Also, random question, have you had Prof. Robin Mason as a lecturer yet?
Reply 5
Original post by .ACS.
It will depend entirely on the modules you choose, the lecturers you have for said modules, and ultimately the amount of work you put in. People do get Firsts in their final year, and I know of one student (admittedly he was Chinese) who got 100% in one of their Year 3 modules.

The people who tend to average above 70% in Year 3 are those who generally attend all lectures and seminars, do more than just the minimum reading, and treat studying like a 9-5 job from Monday to Friday. It's very feasible to also have fun in your final year, go out, and also have an active social life and take part in societies/clubs... It's just you have to manage your time very carefully and not waste time by chilling around doing nothing as is very common in first and second year.

If you only need to average 66% in Year 3 to graduate with a First, then you should be fine.

I love that stereotype! The fact that you can tell someone, "Hey, someone got 100% in a module" and you stand there dumbfounded but the minute you're told, "Oh and btw, he was Chinese" we return to normality again! :tongue:
Original post by davidcy147

Original post by davidcy147
Oh okay! That's great!

How did you manage to take 3rd year modules in your second year?

Original post by .ACS.
You took third year modules in second year? Awesome. Which ones? Also, random question, have you had Prof. Robin Mason as a lecturer yet?

It was a growth module, hated it to be honest. In second and third year you can generally take whatever modules you want so long as their not first year modules. Nope haven't had him, never even heard of him before this post :tongue:
Reply 7
It was a growth module, hated it to be honest. In second and third year you can generally take whatever modules you want so long as their not first year modules. Nope haven't had him, never even heard of him before this post :tongue:

Ah fair enough. We don't have much choice if we do Economics only modules, so unfortunately we can't do Year 3 modules if we're in Year 2 and we're not allowed to backtrack, so can't do Year 2 modules when in Year 3. In the past five or so years the department has stopped offering most of its modules, so now in second year we can choose 4 out of 7 and in third year we choose 5 out of 7.

Was just asking as he teaches some Year 3 modules. :tongue: I think he teaches a part of BEE3028. He used to be the Head of Economics here at Soton but left due to disagreements over the running of the department. (He wanted to have a massive shake-up or something, which a lot of the old guard didn't like.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending