The Student Room Group

Where next?

I have made this thread to ask peoples advice about where to go from here in my life. I obviously know it is my decision and am just seeking peoples opinions.

First off a little about myself. I am currently a student at the University of Essex going into my third and final year of an accounting and finance course, the second year of which I scored 76% so I should, barring a bit of a nightmare third year, be graduating with a first in summer 2012. At A-level I studied Maths, Economics and Computing for which I got ABB respectively.

The problem I am having is how to make myself stand out to the top employers in the area of work I want to go into, risk management, without any relevant work experience. During the summers I have been playing poker online to earn some income, and have spent a number of weeks on holiday (8 weeks this summer), and therefore neglected getting any meaningful work experience with which to impress employers (a short sited approach, I now realise).

I am thinking that the best option for me now may be to apply for a masters program at a better Uni which will give me a better Uni to put on my CV, more time to gain some experience, and a masters qualification which would be very beneficial in the United States where i hope to end up working eventually (I have a green card) . What level of University do you think i would be able to get into given what i have said? I would like to go to LSE but am thinking that this may be slightly unrealistic.

Your thoughts are appreciated.

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending