The Student Room Group

Procedures to obtain a UK Licence?

I'm 19 and I already hold a full Candian Driving Licence as well as an Indian Driving Licence, both of which are valid in the UK until a certain point in time. I also hold a UK provisional licence and was looking to turn it into a full licence. I am aware that there is a theory test and driving test.

So what I want to know is, how long does it take once you take your theory test and driving test to obtain a licence?

Who do I have to see or where do I have to book for a theory test as well as a driving test? I don't need driving lessons.

And I do not own a car here in the UK yet so do I have to have a car for the driving test or can I use the instructor's car (although I don't need lessons so I don't know if I can just borrow his car)?

Also whats the total cost of the theory test, driving test (if I use an instructor's car) and application fee for a full licence?

Thanks.
Reply 1
Original post by HRH2
I'm 19 and I already hold a full Candian Driving Licence as well as an Indian Driving Licence, both of which are valid in the UK until a certain point in time. I also hold a UK provisional licence and was looking to turn it into a full licence. I am aware that there is a theory test and driving test.

So what I want to know is, how long does it take once you take your theory test and driving test to obtain a licence?

Who do I have to see or where do I have to book for a theory test as well as a driving test? I don't need driving lessons.

And I do not own a car here in the UK yet so do I have to have a car for the driving test or can I use the instructor's car (although I don't need lessons so I don't know if I can just borrow his car)?

Also whats the total cost of the theory test, driving test (if I use an instructor's car) and application fee for a full licence?

Thanks.

After passing the practical test you are immediately eligible for a full license, so my guess is no more than a couple of weeks for processing and postage (I may be wrong on this). Worth noting is that you have to pass the Theory test before you can take the practical.
Here is where you can book tests etc, and it should also have all the information you will need.
The theory cost is (I think) £31, and the practical is £62. I imagine that you would be able to use an instructors car, although they may require you to pay more/have some lessons with them before they allow you to. Standard cost for an hours driving is about £20, although for tests it's often slightly higher.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
I passed a couple of months ago so I will do my best to help.

Once you take your theory test, and you take your driving test (and pass obviously :P), they took my provisional test and gave me a driving test certificate which I could use as a license should I so please. I chose to wait until my actual license came through the post which was less than 7 days after I passed. But I think they say upto 21 working days.

book your theory test through this link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/Doitonlinemotoring/DG_197297?CID=MTB&PLA=url_mon&CRE=book_theory_test

and you can book practical test through this link http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Diol1/DoItOnline/Doitonlinemotoring/DG_197299

I think the majority of people do use an instructors car for the test. I would suggest having a couple of refresher lessons, just in case you have fallen into bad habits or whatnot then you can use that instructors car for a small fee for your actual test.

As you already have a provisional license there is no application fee to change it to a full license. a theory test costs £31 for a car and the practical cost is £62 for during a week day. http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/LearnerAndNewDrivers/LearningToDriveOrRide/DG_4022530

I paid my instructor an extra £40. This was for a one hour lesson before my test and for use of his car during the test which is around 40 minutes.
Reply 3
Take a look at this link:

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022559

The UK has a reciprocal arrangement with Canada, so if you have a full Canadian licence you don't need to pass a test over here - you can just exchange it (based on what you have said).
Do you have proof you passed your Canadian test in a manual transmission? If not then you'll only be given an automatic transmission licence.

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/DrivingInGbOnAForeignLicence/DG_4022562 Procedure for exchange is here.

But as above, test not necessary.

Obtaining a provisional licence was probably a mistake as it might complicate things. You should probably contact the DVLA and explain that you weren't aware you were entitled to an exchange for a full licence.
as ABC and DOAADI have said if you have a full Canadian licence then you can exchange for a UK cat B licence either unrestricted or auto only depending on whether you passed your Canadian test in an Auto or a manual.

it is important to note that road traffic law in the UK sees any car without a clutch pedal as automatic - this includes various of the 'automated manual' and flappy paddle sequential manual boxes

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending