The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
centime
OK, this is probably a really basic question, but I'm slightly confused- can anyone help? :confused:

I haven't been taking driving lessons for very long, but with my instructor I was always taught that when doing a bay park you only need to use the clutch, possibly the brake and not the accelerator, as clutch control should be fine for parking. Was happily making progress with this until I took my Dads car out with him for the first time today.( stressful experience! :eek: )

He was really surprised at not using the accelerator when parking and kept telling me to use it. Also, a lot of techniques I was given by my instructor seem to contradict what my Dad's saying!! What does anyone else do?
(Hope this question makes sense to people!)

sounds rude, but don't listen to your dad. he has probably picked up a lot of bad habbits over the years, and things are probably wrong. just listen to your instructor.
Reply 21
I suppose you could do it with just the clutch, it would be slow, but since your learning it would be best. After you pass you can start experimenting with using the accelerator abit, unless your happy with just the clutch. Theres no real wrong method here.

You will find the instructors methods are there to help you pass, but after few months driving everyone develops their own style of driving for instance, I find it difficult to drive with two hands.
centime
OK, this is probably a really basic question, but I'm slightly confused- can anyone help? :confused:

I haven't been taking driving lessons for very long, but with my instructor I was always taught that when doing a bay park you only need to use the clutch, possibly the brake and not the accelerator, as clutch control should be fine for parking. Was happily making progress with this until I took my Dads car out with him for the first time today.( stressful experience! :eek: )

He was really surprised at not using the accelerator when parking and kept telling me to use it. Also, a lot of techniques I was given by my instructor seem to contradict what my Dad's saying!! What does anyone else do?

Well it depends how your car's thingy is adjusted (I'm no mechanic as you can see): in some cars, without the accelerator, the engine already has a high rev, in others it doesn't.

Obviously, if your car isn't moving much when letting go of the clutch, it's only common sense to use the accelerator. While you're learning and passing your test, being fast is not important though.

Talking about clutches, I was travelling across central europe the other day and my friend asked me to drive, only to tell me, once in the driver's seat, that the car had no clutch pedal :eek:
Reply 23
SamTheMan
Talking about clutches, I was travelling across central europe the other day and my friend asked me to drive, only to tell me, once in the driver's seat, that the car had no clutch pedal :eek:

Was it an auto by any chance?
Dickie
Was it an auto by any chance?

I've already driven automatics in North America and grew comfortably surprisingly quickly.

This car was simply a manual (still has a gear box) with no clutch pedal.
Reply 25
I can see why your instructor would tell you just to use the clutch to begin with while practicing manouvers. Better to be going slowly so the instructor has time to apply the brakes if you're going to hit anything. I hope that before your test you will be tought or allowed to use the accelerator though. If not then what happens if you're asked to reverse park on a hill or maybe more likely asked to do a 3 point turn on a road that is sloped sideways.

I learned with my Dad rather than an instructor though and he has no formal driving instrucing qualifications, so what I was taught might not be strictly 'by the book'. I know I used the accelerator during my manouvers on my test though and nothing was said about it.
At the end of the day, oh dear what an unnecessary saying, anyways...At the end of the day, your driving instructor knows what he is saying. However, when driving your dads car you should probably respect his wishes...If this is proving too difficult just don't go out with your dad and put your hand in your pocket and pay for proper driving lessons like you used to do lol...Using the method your driving instructor taught you can actually burn out the clutch causing costly repairs, and will definately deteriorate the clutch quicker.
Reply 27
centime

You know I had a similar problem when I was learning; but it was 2 instructors giving conflicting advice (I went through a few instructors; what you might call an instructor whore :redface: ); i initially learnt to balance carefully between the clutch and the brake while parking in order to maintain a VERY slow speed; but then another instructor told me off for not using the accelrator :mad: I was soooo not pleased.. Anyways, it all depends on the cars torque and how worn the clutch is as other people have said... The smallest engine size I have driven is a 1.0 and I still manage to just use the clutch and brake easily (but you increase the likelyhood of wearing the clutch faster); however when you get more experienced you can add a bit more gas to speed things up :wink:....

As for now I will say stick with using the clutch and brake..
Reply 28
when your dad was taught as when mine was they did use the accelerator but instructors now a days will not because learners will use the accelerator to move the car and not the clutch which is bad for the clutch and as it is undo wear and tear to the car you will fail your test.

However, when i passed my test i find i am using the accelerator anyway but not overly reving the engine
SamTheMan
I've already driven automatics in North America and grew comfortably surprisingly quickly.

This car was simply a manual (still has a gear box) with no clutch pedal.

I am the only one wondering how this is possible (although I did hear a story once about someone who had a land rover that was permentantly stuck in 3rd gear, cos the clutch snapped, and had to floor the accelerator to move off and couldn't go faster than about 40.)
Reply 30
a manual without a clutch will be a sequential. Easier to think of one as an automatic where you select the gear to use as it uses a torque convertor in the same way as an auto tranny does.
I found this amazing as well, but all became clear when I got in my friends van, his cluth was pemenately enaged. Bit of a mission driving it, but he is very techinically minded and did it with no problems. I had a go too, but was a little slow at first. A bit like driving my dads really old car, where you had to double declutch.

Latest

Trending

Trending