The Student Room Group

Lads - gel or wax?

Hi,

I've only been using gel for styling hair and I'm getting quite tired of it as the hairstyle doesn't last for too long. I have no experience with wax at all and I'd just like to know what's the difference? Is it better for styling and does it last longer? I want my hair to look nice for freshers and obviously a gel won't do. Cheers.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by MJay91
Hi,

I've only been using gel for styling hair and I'm getting quite tired of it as the hairstyle doesn't last for too long. I have no experience with wax at all and I'd just like to know what's the difference? Is it better for styling and does it last longer? I want my hair to look nice for freshers and obviously a gel won't do. Cheers.

I'm no lad :tongue: but I think go with wax, it seems to hold for longer and gel makes hair crusty
Reply 2
Wax all the way.

Better effect, better styling.
Reply 3
Gel looks like someone jizzed in your hair, go with wax.
Original post by MJay91
Hi,

Yeah I'd use wax if I were you mate. Gel leaves a shiny wet look on your hair which quite a lot of people is tacky and '1990s style'. When it dries, it makes hair crusty and unnatural.

I think Wax on the other hand gives a more matt finish, and can be used to style hair without making it too unnatural. It is still shinier than hair clay though.

If you want a very strong, matt hold, then I'd use clay tho tbh such as VO5 matt clay .
Reply 5
Wax for sure! I'm not the type of guy to spruce myself up by doing my hair, but all my mates use wax.

Gel is soooo 1990's :P
I'm just going to come out and say it. If you're looking for something to simply hold your hair in place, hairspray is fantastic. It's hardly noticeable, adds an impressive shine and like someone said above, doesn't imply a person jizzed in your hair as gel does. For styling, wax to me is a bit unreliable sometimes, but it's far better than gel.
Gel can give the "wet look" and is easier to get out, but wax gives a more natural look to the hair despite it being a tiny bit harder to remove
Reply 8
If you have short hair, wax is the way to go. If you have longer hair but still want to style it, wax + hairspray. I found leaving some hairspray in over night gives a rather nice messy look in the morning. Can't have too long hair with this though.
Reply 9
My hair is very short for a woman and I use wax for a long time now. It does not lead me to have dandruff and it still makes my hair well moisturized. But I still avoid to use it like everyday.
Reply 10
Do you think that using wax AND a hairspray would be fine or would it be too much? Thanks for the answers so far guys, they're well appreciated!
Hairspray/Cream.
Reply 12
I used to have wax but lost too many hair, & now I am stick to brylcreem
Reply 13
I'd use gel if your hair is short and is going to look fairly clean-cut. Don't use the green or blue 59p stuff, because it makes your hair look that colour. Also, never go out in the rain with gel on because it will run down your face and into your mouth, and the taste isn't too sweet.

Wax is better if your hair is longer and you want to 'play around' with it. Wax doesn't hold as well as gel, however, and you usually have to apply hair spray, which is considered faggy in some circles. I don't know why people complain about wax being hard to wash out, because I've never had that problem. The only thing that I dislike about wax is that it generally leaves a foul smell in your hair the next day.
I just go with this matt clay:

Spent years experimenting with gel and wax before settling on clay.
Reply 15
Yeah, that stuff is the best. It's what I use.

However, it gets under your fingernails and makes them look slightly yellow.
Reply 16
I use vo5 matte clay like the one above. Gel is just too (-.-) and wax is a pain to wash out.
Original post by Bros
Yeah, that stuff is the best. It's what I use.

However, it gets under your fingernails and makes them look slightly yellow.

Yeah takes the piss that, I have to clean my nails with a towel after using it.
Reply 18
Gel takes me back to my year 7 days when my slight mohawk (David Beckham style) was cool ... ... ... 0.0

I stick by my v05 like many others.
wax i'd say, gel isnt very healthy for your hair unless its alcohol free.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending