The Student Room Group

Work Load and Entry Requirements

I have a couple of questions for people that have recently, or are currently, studying engineering.

1. What is your work load like? How many hours a week do you spend in lectures, labs, etc? How much homework do you have? How much time do you have during weekends?

2. Is an A-level (AP in my case) in Physics a necessity to get into a university? My school doesn't offer AP Physics, so I'd have to study for the exam myself. My school offers analytical physics.

3. Does civil or mechanical have more job prospects?

Thanks for your help :smile:
(edited 12 years ago)
I go to Birmingham and study Mechanical Engineering, I know Bham doesn't require physics at A-level, if you don't have it you need to have done mechanics modules in maths. The people that hadn't done physics had to work harder to catch up though, so that's worth bearing in mind.

Work load wise I had 20-25 hours of lectures/tutorials a week, on top of this you can expect to do 5-10 hours extra a week average. If you get lazy it can be much less than this though, generally the last week or two of each semester is pretty intense. Second year I have been told to expect a solid 35-40 hours of work a week, lectures and "homework" combined. Students told me this, not staff. Expect to start lectures at 9am most days, some days are 10am for me and 11am is considered a lie in.

As for more job prospects, as with anything it depends how good you are. Talking to ex-members of the formula student team (the ones who have just spent their first year in employment) none of the them found it hard to get jobs and many of them have pretty cool ones.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by uli77
I have a couple of questions for people that have recently, or are currently, studying engineering.

1. What is your work load like? How many hours a week do you spend in lectures, labs, etc? How much homework do you have? How much time do you have during weekends?

2. Is an A-level (AP in my case) in Physics a necessity to get into a university? My school doesn't offer AP Physics, so I'd have to study for the exam myself. My school offers analytical physics.

3. Does civil or mechanical have more job prospects?

Thanks for your help :smile:

1. First year we had about 30 hours a week, the busiest timetable in the university. By third year that had dropped to about 14 though.

First year, either 3 or 6 hours a week lab. (3 mechanical + 3 electrical)
Second year, 3 hours a week lab.
Third year, no taught labs however you will probably be in the lab when doing your dissatation/project.

2. Yes you need physics

3. I'd say mechanical but I'm not sure. Both degrees will set you up well for a good career. Plus, there are plenty of jobs around at the moment because not enough people are studying engineering.

I'd just choose the course that looks the most interesting to you.
(edited 12 years ago)
I'm interested in Mechanical/aeronautical/aerospace

Quick Reply

Latest