The Student Room Group

Student grant entitlement

heyo,

recently my parents bot got made redundant this summer, and i was wondering if this would entitle me to get the grants that the government gives out to students. not really sure about the whole student finance system as i have never applied to student finance. can someone just explain my options please
Even if your dad was made redundant he will still get a P60 form if he doesn't have one ring Inland Revenue up and they will send one for him! Besides if you're applying for 2011/2012 cycle you will send off the P60 form from 2010/2011!
Reply 2
Original post by Beenman500
heyo,

recently my parents bot got made redundant this summer, and i was wondering if this would entitle me to get the grants that the government gives out to students. not really sure about the whole student finance system as i have never applied to student finance. can someone just explain my options please

The grant is assessed on your parents income, as is around 25% of the loan. You can take the 75% loan (or nothing obviously) or you can get income assessed to try and get more.

If your parents have just been made redundant you will need to fill out a form to ask student finance to take their new income into account, normally they base it on last years income but in this case that would not be accurate.

You would have to look up the exact amounts, but I think it is around £26000 before you get no grant and its over £50000 before you get the smallest amount of loan.

Use the finance calculator, you will need your parents new income (whatever that may be) and read the information on the student finance website.
Reply 3
Original post by mabrookes
The grant is assessed on your parents income, as is around 25% of the loan. You can take the 75% loan (or nothing obviously) or you can get income assessed to try and get more.

If your parents have just been made redundant you will need to fill out a form to ask student finance to take their new income into account, normally they base it on last years income but in this case that would not be accurate.

You would have to look up the exact amounts, but I think it is around £26000 before you get no grant and its over £50000 before you get the smallest amount of loan.

Use the finance calculator, you will need your parents new income (whatever that may be) and read the information on the student finance website.

thanks, i feared it may be based on last years income only which would screw me over, i will look around more on there website
Reply 4
Original post by Beenman500
thanks, i feared it may be based on last years income only which would screw me over, i will look around more on there website

The general rule is that if you believe the income has dropped by 15% from the previous year they will look at current income instead, so becoming redundant should more than qualify, good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending