The Student Room Group

PC Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tomme
On CS it is important (Much me so on CS 1.6) to be able to control recoil, it is very precise and with high sens it very hard to control such precise movements. People think "what if I get shot from behind, i cannot 180 and kill them" Well if you are playing against people even half decent and they come from behind, you are dead! Accuracy matter! In CS one little bullet makes all the difference and with low sens you can place your shots a lot better, yes it takes long to get to but is ultimatly a lot better for the majority of players. It is quite hard to explain really but there is VERY few top FPS gamers that use high sens, besides quake and even then it not that high.

lol stop chatting ****. You've no idea what you're talking about. I've never known anyone to use low sensitivity on cs

If you need low sensitivity to be able to aim, then you're just ****. Anybody who is any good at the game will be able to aim with high sens

with low sens you can place your shots a lot better, yes it takes long to get to but is ultimatly a lot better for the majority of players

go on a pub server and low sens might just about do as 99% of players are **** who reckon they're actually good. Play a 5v5 with low sens and the time you lose with low sens someone with high sens will have killed you already
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 181
Original post by Tommyjw
And i have personal experience with 2009 & 2010 MLG COD with talking a lot to the ps3 players each time and not one guy used 'very low' sensitivity. Never watched a guy at that tournament with sensitivity lower than 3. Even then i can pretty safely say the majority were 6 or 7. As well as playing south west school/college/ personal MW2 tournaments, winning and then doing 'national 'type ones,(and then failing ;D )

Console is completely different to PC, console you are restricted by the joysticks on PC you are not. Console I will agree have to use higher sens but PC is different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wwWqKHWhHMQ
Example of strenx playing Quake, one of the most fast games and see how much he has to move to do just a 90degree turn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4GW45xxxtg
This is CS, just look at the movement of there mice. :wink:

Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz
lol stop chatting ****. You've no idea what you're talking about. I've never known anyone to use low sensitivity on cs

If you need low sensitivity to be able to aim, then you're just ****. Anybody who is any good at the game will be able to aim with high sens

go on a pub server and low sens might just about do as 99% of players are **** who reckon they're actually good. Play a 5v5 with low sens and the time you lose with low sens someone with high sens will have killed you already

Watch the video above, second I have done a good amount of mixers at iSeries with CSS bros to know that when you sit there trying to take pot shots at me from A Long I will just comfortable take your head off :u: inb4 troll
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Tommyjw
Thats just wrong.

I have watched tournaments, online and in person, and played in them. No1 will use a 'very low sensitivity' . For obvious reasons. Utterly ridiculous.

This is so wrong I want to cry. I've been playing counterstrike competitively for 5 years. ALL top players use low sensitivity. For me, one mousepad width (SteelSeries QCK Heavy, 45cm wide) is just about 360 degrees in game. I use 800DPI, 1.2 sens in-game (CSS and CS 1.6), 6/11 windows, "enhance pointer precision" disabled.

I'd recommend seeing how much room you have to comfortably move your mouse side to side, and calibrate that to roughly 360 degrees in game. Give it a little bit of time to settle in, and from there go up or down to whatever's comfortable.

For games like Quake you'll probably need to have it much higher. For TF2 I have no idea what people use.
Reply 183
Original post by ziedj
This is so wrong I want to cry. I've been playing counterstrike competitively for 5 years. ALL top players use low sensitivity. For me, one mousepad width (SteelSeries QCK Heavy, 45cm wide) is just about 360 degrees in game. I use 800DPI, 1.2 sens in-game (CSS and CS 1.6), 6/11 windows, "enhance pointer precision" disabled.

I'd recommend seeing how much room you have to comfortably move your mouse side to side, and calibrate that to roughly 360 degrees in game. Give it a little bit of time to settle in, and from there go up or down to whatever's comfortable.

For games like Quake you'll probably need to have it much higher. For TF2 I have no idea what people use.

So where did you get this 'all of them figure' from then? :wink: Because from live stream interviews and such (havenmt played CS as high as i have MW2) They seem to tell a different story (:. The average was.. well. average (just under)

Please find me examples of very good competitive players that use 'very low' settings :smile:.Make sure you accept what 'very low' means :wink:
Reply 184
Original post by Tomme

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-4GW45xxxtg
This is CS, just look at the movement of there mice. :wink:

That = low.

This = very low.
Original post by Tommyjw
So where did you get this 'all of them figure' from then? :wink: Because from live stream interviews and such (havenmt played CS as high as i have MW2) They seem to tell a different story (:. The average was.. well. average (just under)

Please find me examples of very good competitive players that use 'very low' settings :smile:.Make sure you accept what 'very low' means :wink:

I didn't even use the word "very" in my post at all, let alone referring to "very low". I said they use low sensitivity, which most people would understand to be something along the lines of "lower or significantly lower than default settings".

And there is no such thing as "high level MW2", as far as I am aware there are no sponsored tournaments for MW2 at all. Do you mean CoD4?

You can easily watch videos of top players at LAN and say for yourself whether or not you consider their mouse movements to be "low sensitivity" or not. Along with all the casual players in the comments section saying "omg his sens so low???", etc.
Reply 186
Original post by Tommyjw
That = low.

This = very low.

lol.

I couldn't imagine it since I have mine as high as I can get it.

Does anyone know how to increase the sense high than a game will normally let you? Is there any software out there that will let me do that?

I have TF2 in mind here.
Reply 187
Anyone got any fairly good RTS games they would recommend from the last two years or so?
Reply 188
Original post by Tommyjw
Keep sensitivity high. Well.. try and get used to it, progress to it if you have to. The best players will use high to very high sensitivity levels.

That's rubbish, my friend plays CoD4 professionally and has sensitivity of 0.061, he has massive hand movements for 180's and 360's but is incredibly accurate.

Use the sensitivity you feel most comfortable with if you want to be good.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 189
Original post by Tommyjw
And i have personal experience with 2009 & 2010 MLG COD with talking a lot to the ps3 players each time and not one guy used 'very low' sensitivity.

PS3 players? This is a PC gaming society, it bears no relevance at all.
Original post by abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz

Not true. For a long time the conventional wisdom was to use a very low sens, probably because the SK/NiP guys (heaton, potti, SpawN etc.) advocated low sens when they were the best team in the world for a few years. This is why many of the most popular mousemats are made in an extra-large size: go to steelseries website and you'll see that the mats are pretty big and if you go to LAN you'll see plenty of really huge mats. It doesn't mean you take longer to aim because you just make bigger arm movements and use your forearm more and your wrist less. You just use more of the mousemat.

Some people started using higher sens so it changed, but I think you'll still find that many of the best CS players use a fairly low sens, certainly those that played CS 1.6. I still have a huge mat from when I played competitively.

Personal preference IMO: some of the best players use a high sens, some use a very low sens. You can do well with both.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 191
Out of curiosity, does anyone here think Ubisoft will ever properly realise that their 'always online' DRM is idiotic? I mean, seriously, I just don't get it...they started using this thing in early 2010. Amidst a flurry of complaints from (deservedly) irate gamers, in late 2010 they ceased the policy of adding that DRM to their titles and they released patches for some games (including two of their best-selling titles, Assassin's Creed 2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction) which removed this DRM from those games. Then over the summer they decided they wanted to use the DRM on new titles again (including on another of their big series, with Driver: San Francisco looking certain to get it). From Dust also received this DRM when Ubisoft had explicitly said it wouldn't, and within weeks of From Dust's launch Ubisoft were already planning to release a patch to get rid of the DRM, while simultaneously they announced that Driver's DRM would not be as restrictive as had been planned a month earlier, again Ubisoft being forced to back down because they were getting ****loads of complaints from honest customers.

There was a rather good article about Ubisoft's DRM posted yesterday, with both linked articles stemming not only from Ubisoft re-introducing this insanely draconian DRM but also from the founder of Driver's development team defending Ubisoft's choice to want to use that DRM.
Gamers aren’t fans of DRM? Well who would have thought that? I mean, always-on isn’t a demeaning corporate practice to diminutively tell your consumer you don’t trust them even after they pay for the product.

Avalanche Studios' founder, Christofer Sundberg, (the company behind popular open-world shooter Just Cause)spoke out against always-on DRM, basically saying that it doesn’t offer any incentives to the consumer and practically tells the consumer that they’re distrusted even after the initial purchase.

In an interview with Next-Gen Biz, the founder of Avalanche Studios, Sundberg, stated that…
"If a DRM system constantly needs to be defended, something must be wrong. As a developer you will never win over any fans if you constantly let everyone know how much it costs to develop a game and how much money you lose."… "I don't like always-on DRM solutions at all, since they offer nothing to the consumer. If you continuously give something extra for registering and being online, and award them for actually paying for and playing your game, it'd be different, but always-on DRM only says: 'Thank you for buying our game, we trust you as far as we can throw you."

Ubisoft recently confirmed that DRM is what they love….they love it so much that they would rather lose consumers than abandon DRM. I find it funny because that’s exactly what happened with their PC port of From Dust, and the company fought tooth and nail to ensure that PC users were royally screwed up the bum with a hefty dose of DRM. Why? I have no idea.

Anyone with common sense -- something I’m beginning to believe is bereft of those in executive positions at most software companies -- knows that DRM only affects those who don’t pirate the game. Pirates of software don’t have to deal with DRM because cracks enable said pirates to play the game offline, thus bypassing all that hefty DRM.

It’s just too bad Ubisoft would rather continue spitting in the faces of legit consumers by forcing them to deal with always-on DRM, something that Blizzard is now implementing for the upcoming Diablo III on claims that it will prevent hacking and unfair play during multiplayer. You can check out the entire interview with Sundberg over at Next-Gen.

The interview with the Just Cause developer is well worth a read as well, so I included the link to it at the end of the article :smile:

But seriously, I just don't understand why Ubisoft even considered going back to it. I mean, when they announced that Driver: San Francisco was going to have it back in July, they claimed to have seen "a clear reduction in piracy of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a success", yet this DRM was cracked within 24 hours just like virtually all DRM and the games that included it could be downloaded from torrent sites DRM-free just as quickly as with any title that didn't have Ubi's DRM, and begs the question as to why the **** they went to the bother of patching the DRM out of the games less than a year later...surely there must have been some error in the message that Ubisoft said? It would have been more accurate if it had said they had seen "a clear reduction in sales of our titles which required a persistent online connection, and from that point of view the requirement is a monumental failure". But I don't know, perhaps Ubisoft just like to piss off their entire customer base. The games still get pirated and the pirates aren't affected by the DRM (which led to comical events within a week of the DRM's launch where the authentication servers crashed and pirates were able to play games like Assassin's Creed 2 or Settlers 7 while anyone who actually spent money on the games couldn't), and the sooner publishers like Ubisoft realise this, the better.
Default sensitivity is where it's at. Oh yeah, mediocre like a mother****er.
Reply 193
After long last I've finally upgraded my old PC. Should be able to get back into PC gaming again. :biggrin:

These are the specs:

1TB HDD
1GB PALIT GEFORCE GTX 560 Ti
4GB SAMSUNG DDR3 1333MHz
ASUS P8H67-M LX SI
Intel® Core™ i5-2400

Only thing that kinda bugs me is that the i5-2400 is locked at 3.3Ghz, still runs all the games I have on absolute maximum with at least 60+ FPS average though.

Original post by Aj12
Anyone got any fairly good RTS games they would recommend from the last two years or so?

Starcraft II?
Reply 194
Original post by Dalimyr

So true, DRM is the biggest idiotic mistake in gaming history aside from CoD. The latter part of that was a joke.

But yeah, DRM is stupid.
Hey guys, sorry for not checking the thread for ages!

Anyone played the Hard Reset demo? I just played it. It's mega short, but I really enjoyed it - certainly considering getting the game.

I also kinda want Rage, but I think I'll get either Rage or Hard Reset. Hard Reset has the perks of being about £10 cheaper (£20.69 to pre-order on Steam) [EDIT: £10 cheaper on Steam, maybe £5 cheaper if you get Rage from Amazon or something] and coming out in 6 days (ie before the start of term!)
(edited 12 years ago)
How bad is gaming on a laptop for long periods?
Reply 197
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

Well if you have a the laptop on your lap, it's not good for your balls :wink:.
Original post by Oh my Ms. Coffey

Laptops have much worse cooling systems, and semiconductors work worse at higher temperatures, so your laptop will heat up a lot (until it is capable of burning if you hold your hand against it for too long) and run slower than a desktop of the same specs would after an extended period playing.

The heating also causes long-term damage to the chips, so gaming for prolonged periods will cause your laptop to die a death faster than if you didn't game.

If it's an undemanding, older game of course you'll have no such problems, and there will be no measurable difference to a desktop and no measurable long-term damage.

Also, be careful not to rest it on a surface that burns easily and keep anything that you don't want getting hot away from the air vents.
Original post by The Mr Z
Laptops have much worse cooling systems, and semiconductors work worse at higher temperatures, so your laptop will heat up a lot (until it is capable of burning if you hold your hand against it for too long) and run slower than a desktop of the same specs would after an extended period playing.

The heating also causes long-term damage to the chips, so gaming for prolonged periods will cause your laptop to die a death faster than if you didn't game.

If it's an undemanding, older game of course you'll have no such problems, and there will be no measurable difference to a desktop and no measurable long-term damage.

Also, be careful not to rest it on a surface that burns easily and keep anything that you don't want getting hot away from the air vents.

Its on a desk. Only WoW on ultra though, is it worth taking it off ultra settings?

Quick Reply