The Student Room Group

PC Gaming Society

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
Any WoW or future GW2 players here?
Reply 401
Original post by Ezgavil
I'd tentatively raise my hand here, I guess. I'm keeping a close eye on Guild Wars 2 preview stuff. There've been some big claims about how it's trying to change MMOs, so I'm curious to see how well they accomplish that.
Original post by Ezgavil

I'm a recovering WoW player.

Original post by Dalimyr
I'd tentatively raise my hand here, I guess. I'm keeping a close eye on Guild Wars 2 preview stuff. There've been some big claims about how it's trying to change MMOs, so I'm curious to see how well they accomplish that.

What I've heard about GW2 sounds interesting, but a lot of MMOs have made that claim before and been sadly disappointing.
Original post by Ezgavil

I've just started playing WoW again. I previously had a level 70 gnome mage, I however quit. I've started up a completely new account and currently have a level 40 undead priest.
Reply 404
Original post by Jace Falco
What I've heard about GW2 sounds interesting, but a lot of MMOs have made that claim before and been sadly disappointing.
Hence why I said I was tentatively raising my hand :p: It does have some rather interesting-sounding ideas, but ultimately it'll come down to how well they're implemented. The 'dynamic events' in particular are something that need to be implemented well.
Original post by Dalimyr
Hence why I said I was tentatively raising my hand :p: It does have some rather interesting-sounding ideas, but ultimately it'll come down to how well they're implemented. The 'dynamic events' in particular are something that need to be implemented well.

What I'm most looking forward to in terms on MMOs, although it's really only a quasi-MMO, is Guns of Icarus Online.
I'm a former Guild Wars addict (only half joking) and I've been waiting for GW2 for a long, long time. From footage I've seen, it looks too different from Guild Wars 1. I think it'll be a great game, and I'll pre-order it and as soon as I get over the fact that it's a different game I'm sure I'll get addicted to this one too, but still... it doesn't look like it's going to feel like GW any more.
GW2 available for pre-order from today...

But £49.99 for the game on its own!? Bit much!
Reply 408
On PC? £49.99??!?! That's insane!
Original post by ReeceL
On PC? £49.99??!?! That's insane!

Yep. Digitial edition, too. Don't even get a box!
Reply 410
Original post by LtCommanderData
Yep. Digitial edition, too. Don't even get a box!

Woah! That really is mad!
Reply 411
GW2 available for pre-order from today...

But £49.99 for the game on its own!? Bit much!
Compared to the price in the US, the UK price is absolutely extortionate.

VersionUK PriceUS Price
Digital£49.99$59.99 (£37.81)
Digital Deluxe£64.99$79.99 (£50.42)
Collector's£129.99$149.99 (£94.56)

US prices seem about right. UK prices are a disgrace.
Original post by Dalimyr
Compared to the price in the US, the UK price is absolutely extortionate.

VersionUK PriceUS Price
Digital£49.99$59.99 (£37.81)
Digital Deluxe£64.99$79.99 (£50.42)
Collector's£129.99$149.99 (£94.56)

US prices seem about right. UK prices are a disgrace.

Actually, my first thought when I first saw them was that they looked like they were set by someone who translated the US price (which is never translated fairly, but $60 = £50 is sadly fairly typical from some companies) without any idea of typical game prices in this country.

Well, I had intended to pre-order, but I just can't afford to at that price, I'm afraid.
Reply 413
Actually, my first thought when I first saw them was that they looked like they were set by someone who translated the US price (which is never translated fairly, but $60 = £50 is sadly fairly typical from some companies) without any idea of typical game prices in this country.

Well, I had intended to pre-order, but I just can't afford to at that price, I'm afraid.

Play have a boxed copy at 39.99, which is a little bit better.
Reply 414
Having had the urge to finally start playing X3: Albion Prelude, I popped onto Egosoft's website and saw on their news page that they'd had an April Fool's gag...a Kinect game where you dance to lower the price of trading goods, titled (in Teladi style) "Move your hipsssss for profitsssss!" :lol:

Did any other companies have random April Fool's jokes? :biggrin:
Pre-ordered GW2, I feel £50 was expensive but when you consider that there is no monthly fee, it seems a little less extortionate.

If that CS:GO key is still going btw, I'd love a chance to try the beta out =P.
Original post by Dalimyr
Having had the urge to finally start playing X3: Albion Prelude, I popped onto Egosoft's website and saw on their news page that they'd had an April Fool's gag...a Kinect game where you dance to lower the price of trading goods, titled (in Teladi style) "Move your hipsssss for profitsssss!" :lol:

Did any other companies have random April Fool's jokes? :biggrin:

I love that :biggrin:

April Fool's kinda passed me by this year apart from the Google Maps thing. My favourite AFDay memory (although it's not that great, now that I think about it, so I don't know why it's stuck with me for so long) was in (I think) 2005 when Wizards of the Coast said that due to copyright issues they were forced to stop using the name Magic the Gathering and were changing it to Magique the Gathering... I must have been 12 at the time and I can't remember whether I actually believed it or not, but I think I did (or at least I thought it was disproportionately hilarious or something).
I'm in a shameful predicament. I've just recently built my dream computer and don't take me wrong, I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. What's awful is that I'm not enjoying my time gaming. So far, I've got Rome: Total War (Gold), Tropico 4 (and Modern Times), WoW (without Cata/WotLK), Evochron Mercenary and Dead Space 2. I used to be a massive, massive PC gamer in the past. I'd spend all my free time playing games and enjoying every second of it and the games I'm playing now are without a doubt brilliant games, I'm just not connecting with them.

I'd really appreciate it if someone can suggest a game they genuinely enjoy. I have a lot of time to kill at the moment (gap year) and would love to game as much as possible before uni.
Reply 418
Original post by Tzarchasm
I'm in a shameful predicament. I've just recently built my dream computer and don't take me wrong, I'm incredibly happy with my purchase. What's awful is that I'm not enjoying my time gaming. So far, I've got Rome: Total War (Gold), Tropico 4 (and Modern Times), WoW (without Cata/WotLK), Evochron Mercenary and Dead Space 2. I used to be a massive, massive PC gamer in the past. I'd spend all my free time playing games and enjoying every second of it and the games I'm playing now are without a doubt brilliant games, I'm just not connecting with them.

I'd really appreciate it if someone can suggest a game they genuinely enjoy. I have a lot of time to kill at the moment (gap year) and would love to game as much as possible before uni.

Looking through my Steam list:

Bastion
Might and Magic Heroes VI
Serious Sam 3
Civ V
Skyrim
TF2
Binding of Isaac
Atom Zombie Smasher
Portal + Portal 2 (Any of the Valve catalogue really)
Orcs Must Die!
Original post by Tzarchasm

What are some games you've loved in the past to base recommendations on?

Quick Reply

Latest