The Student Room Group

Higher Art results

Basically I failed higher art however I got an A in my prelim for the written part and I was told that my expressive would probably be an A/B however I know that my design was defenitly the weakest so I knew it would let me down however I wasnt expecting to fail.

I was beginning to wonder if it was because I did a collage for my expressive because I havent heard of anyone doing a collage before however I was told that this was allowed

was anyone else surprised at their result for higher art or did a collage or have any ideas about why I failed?
Reply 1
I got a C and I'm not happy at all my teacher said I would get a B or an A I'm going to go ask him about appealing . I know a girl whos drawings are not good and either is her writing and she got a B I'm so confused . Sorry to hear u failed ur not the only one disappointed
Reply 2
Original post by catmandoo
I got a C and I'm not happy at all my teacher said I would get a B or an A I'm going to go ask him about appealing . I know a girl whos drawings are not good and either is her writing and she got a B I'm so confused . Sorry to hear u failed ur not the only one disappointed

Glad i'm not the only one whos disappointed, i heard another girl in my class got a D and her work is amazing! maybe the SQA standards were really high or something . I will probably try and appeal but i dont really see how i could get a grade even if i did
Reply 3
Heres hoping we both. Get an appeal yeah the Sqa seem a bit harsh this year but oh well . Good luck
Reply 4
My friend got a C, and he's BEYOND amazing at Art!! I got a B, and my second folio was nowhere as good as his. I think the essays have a HUGE part to play in me passing. I'm pretty sure you have a strong case to appeal :biggrin:
Reply 5
Yeah you can appeal with that, I did art last year and got a C (expecting a B) and even though I also got a C in the prelim I was able to appeal, didn't get accepted though haha. But our teacher thought they were harsh with us last year, so its probably the same this year.
Reply 6
I too was disappointed, I got a B which isn't bad but Art's always been my strongest subject. I worked on my stuff pretty much every day, got high marks in the prelim and was predicted an A1. :frown: Oh well. Maybe I'll try appealing. I think my design stuff was the weakest part.
Reply 7
I was predicted an B for my Art Higher last year. Submissions were fine, expressive excellent I thought.

However on the results day I found out that I got an A for the Art History and a D for both submissions. Overall a C. This was really disappointing because I needed another B at Higher to receive an offer at Uni. It was really upsetting to think that the markers thought my submissions were really bad (Mum is an Art Lecturer by the way so I know that the art I did was good just not SQA good).

School were really unhelpful and they said they were unable to appeal on the external examiners grade. They did say I could resubmit the practical pieces next year. This would have been ok if I was allowed into art at a suitable time for my 6th form timetable. This was not allowed.

SQA really need to sort this subject out because so many potential artists are put off the subject from bad marking. Don't even get me started on Music!

Coincidentally, if you speak to Art College staff they are looking for creative art students that show potential. So are less interested in the grade of your art exams.

So resubmit the practical stuff if you can and just do something similar to the A marked students and you should be fine.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 8
yeah if youre going for college/uni then they like to see what youve done more than the actual grades. I've got a C in drama too but I still managed to get an unconditional for a HNC in technical theatre cause of the folio i did, and the same for a HND in theatre costume interpretation even though ive only got C's in the related subjects (lucky me!)
Reply 9
i got an A but my friend got a D and i thought he would get a B/C the only thing i can think he did wrong was he missed the part A question on the portrait because he didnt read the title and couldnt find a painting but he wrote the essays and i that was only 10 marks so i dont know how he failed the must have been really strict this year i guess . WELL DONE to everyone for doing good.
26% of Higher Art candidates got an A, at Int 2 60% did :eek:

Yeah marking for art seems really weird with the people's work teachers really praised not doing that well.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending