The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Bektas
Surely this thread should be renamed to 'UK riots' now.

This is crazy.

Major flashpoints outside London have their own threads.

This is London & main BBC/Sky News since they're focussing mostly on London.
Original post by Reformed2010
I beg you to think about this. Correlation does not always equal causation. If you see a photo of 90% wearing a JD sports bag. Would you then say having a JD sports bag is the cause of these riots? Just because the people you see in the photos have black skin, means no more or no less than if you saw 99% with grey or black hair!

Their skin colour is not relevant.

Correlation works hand in hand with causation.

Deprived areas are the cause of all this. There are twice as many ethnic minorities unemployed in Britain than white people. Thats a fact. Yes there are white people looting too.

Anyone who can't see that correlation and causation work hand in hand is extremely daft.
Original post by DiscoPirate
Got PM'd this:

'Hi there. I'm working with the BBC Current Affairs team, and I noticed the image you posted of the leaflet with the advice about being identified in the riots. Can you tell where you found this image? It would be really useful for our investigation. Thanks.

BBC are prowling the forums :fyi:

Hello BBC

Thinking about if it was to be shown on the news would it be a good idea as it would inform more rioters on how to protect themselves.

https://twitter.com/#!/gmpolice
Seems like there is some disturbances but some of it may just be rumours
Got PM'd this:

'Hi there. I'm working with the BBC Current Affairs team, and I noticed the image you posted of the leaflet with the advice about being identified in the riots. Can you tell where you found this image? It would be really useful for our investigation. Thanks.

Nice one!..I swear the leaflets were located in Hackney?

Original post by MoanyLisa
How dumb do you have to be to not cover your face when you're looting :facepalm2: Hope they're all found, dickheads.

Seems they dont care tbh
"The SkyNews helicopter is in the sky..."

Wow, really? There's a novel idea.
Do you think it's going to be safe travelling on the Tube/DLR from Heathrow to London City Airport at 5am tonight?
Smashing up your own city because you have the IQ of a ham sandwich.

A FB group. :laugh:
I know someone in Finchley atm and apparently there's a car on fire and smoke can be seen. I have no details though :erm:
I half expected David Cameron to say something like this...

:lol:
Pretty sure the leaflets were first found in Dalston.
Original post by The_Male_Melons
Just when I thought the rioting has stopped. Apparently it has gone worse.

London, Birmingham, Leeds, Coventry, Liverpool, Bristol, Nottingham, Southampton, Portsmouth, Dudley, Wolverhampton, Manchester, Salford- have all been affected.

Apparently, it is will affect Cardiff, Glasgow and Belfast- going off some of the tweets.

Things looks like it is going from bad to worse.

ITV Wales confirmed there are no disturbances in Cardiff and they were all rumours
Original post by Bektas
Surely this thread should be renamed to 'UK riots' now.

This is crazy.

It's insane. I'm quite terrified.

Original post by 4mar_ar5en4l
But they aren't having a tough enough stance on the rioters, realistically they need stuff like water canons or rubber bullets.

I know. But I'm ever the optimist. I still am 99% confident that the police will do a good job tonight at protecting us.
Original post by Bektas
I half expected David Cameron to say something like this...

:lol:

Awesome. :rofl:
Volunteers and retired officers being called up to offer support:

Metropolitan Police
The Met is facing a significant challenge in responding to the unprecedented levels of violence we have seen on the streets of London. To free as many police officers up as possible to police the streets we are gratefully using those volunteers and retired officers to support us. If you are a MPS volunteer or a retired officer who wishes to come and assist us at this time please contact 020 7109 6526
Original post by Reformed2010
I beg you to think about this. Correlation does not always equal causation. If you see a photo of 90% wearing a JD sports bag. Would you then say having a JD sports bag is the cause of these riots? Just because the people you see in the photos have black skin, means no more or no less than if you saw 99% with grey or black hair!

Their skin colour is not relevant.

People do not gather together and form groups because of hair colour or bags, but they would typically communicate more often with people of the same colour. I think if the government wants to solve this problem and prevent future riots, they should not ignore the ethnic problem. Pretending that ethnic problem does not exist is not a solution.
26 yr old man in Croydon shot, has died. Give that copper a pint on me
Yup! Got an appointment at HSBC tomorrow :biggrin: sooo hyped up!
Original post by FudgeMonkeys
Have you been in to Ealing Broadway? The damage was so hyped up on the news, it's nowhere near as bad as I thought it would be.

Got PM'd this:

what is the username may I ask?

Are they allowed to prowl like this without Acumen PI permission
Original post by Lewis :D
ITV Wales confirmed there are no disturbances in Cardiff and they were all rumours

Cardiffi safe for now- for how long?

I am not sure if it is rumours or not- a lot of places are being affected.
I am fb and twitters- from the looks of it, bad to worse.
Original post by AreYouDizzeeBlud_x

Anyone who can't see that correlation and causation work hand in hand is extremely daft.

Correlation does not logically necessitate causation. This is an important distinction.

Tell me if you think the following is a valid logical step.

Lots of the rioters have black skin.
Therefore, black skin causes people to be predisposed to riot.

Your comment implies that you would take that to be logical.
Original post by BritishRose
Smashing up your own city because you have the IQ of a ham sandwich.

A FB group. :laugh:

I'm joining it :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending