The Student Room Group

Why exactly are people rioting in Totenham?

I thought it was because of a peaceful protest turned sour, but im not sure what they were protesting against? Does anyone have any info on what triggered this, im sure its been reported but i have a virus that just brings up spam when i google stuff lmao

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
A criminal shot at Police and got killed. The family marched to the police station wanting a statement did't get one so people started setting fire to cars and it turned to looting and setting fires.
Reply 2
because jd sports got closed down....,
Reply 3
Original post by Aj12
A criminal shot at Police and got killed. The family marched to the police station wanting a statement did't get one so people started setting fire to cars and it turned to looting and setting fires.

Really it was that simple? If he shot at the police first then surely hardly anyone would join in protesting to begin with? Something smells fishy here and its not just my tuna sandwhich. Hmm unless maybe ill informed people and friends/family started civil unrest and others just joined in for looting
Reply 4
Original post by adam_zed
because jd sports got closed down....,

thats terrible, even more unemployed people
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by jus2sik
Really it was that simple? If he shot at the police first then surely hardly anyone would join in protesting to begin with? Something smells fishy here and its not just my tuna sandwhich. Hmm unless maybe ill informed people and friends/family started civil unrest and others just joined in for looting

It's a poor area and many of the people feel victimised by Police. They see this as a man being murdered.
Original post by Aj12
It's a poor area and many of the people feel victimised by Police. They see this as a man being murdered.

Well they'd know, it's usually their favourite pass time.
Reply 7
Well you never get this sort of problem in South London :smug:
Original post by jus2sik
Really it was that simple? If he shot at the police first then surely hardly anyone would join in protesting to begin with?

Well the police didn't shoot their own radio, did they? This riot is a combination of mental illness and the pathetic ideology that the police solely to cause pain. All we know is a black person had a gun, that's good enough to warrant killing him.
Opportunism: people had the opportunity to pillage and destroy things without immediate repercussions, so they took it. Mob mentality was also a driver.
Reply 10
It was reported that a man was shot by the police but very little details were give and the ipcc are investigating. Some people are saying that they shot him when he dropped his gun but this may just be rumours. No one really knows what happens but people are making up their own stories about what happedned (some that he was a gangster and was shooting at the police, and some that the police shot him when he had put his gun down). We know nothing so should wait for the report. He was apparently very popular someone told me that he was a nice guy and used to look out for everyone (who knows) but people are angry that the police have killed someone and the has been no/little explanation. It started with a peaceful march in front of the police station then turned violent. Its just a shame it turned that way and that business got burnt down. I think that alot of opportunists (who care nothing for the cause) also joined when they saw that there was a riot.
Reply 11
A police office shot a person called Mark Duggan, who they tried to arrest, he fired I believe a gun at the officer and the officer shot him. People of Tottenham did not agree with the Police Officer shooting Mark Duggan and hence were out on the streets protesting by burning buildings, buses and causing fear and discomfort to the people who were living in the flats above the shops. I've heard people trying to pin the violence on the coalition government. Now I would like to accuse the government of doing/causing many things but this is not one of them...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023254/Tottenham-riots-North-London-flames-Mark-Duggan-shooting.html?ito=feeds-newsxml
Reply 12
Original post by eff01
A police office shot a person called Mark Duggan, who they tried to arrest, he fired I believe a gun at the officer and the officer shot him. People of Tottenham did not agree with the Police Officer shooting Mark Duggan and hence were out on the streets protesting by burning buildings, buses and causing fear and discomfort to the people who were living in the flats above the shops. I've heard people trying to pin the violence on the coalition government. Now I would like to accuse the government of doing/causing many things but this is not one of them...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2023254/Tottenham-riots-North-London-flames-Mark-Duggan-shooting.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

hmm i dont know, sounds truthful but i have to disregard your daily mail link because im very biased about it
Reply 13
Original post by aprilterri
It was reported that a man was shot by the police but very little details were give and the ipcc are investigating. Some people are saying that they shot him when he dropped his gun but this may just be rumours. No one really knows what happens but people are making up their own stories about what happedned (some that he was a gangster and was shooting at the police, and some that the police shot him when he had put his gun down). We know nothing so should wait for the report. He was apparently very popular someone told me that he was a nice guy and used to look out for everyone (who knows) but people are angry that the police have killed someone and the has been no/little explanation. It started with a peaceful march in front of the police station then turned violent. Its just a shame it turned that way and that business got burnt down. I think that alot of opportunists (who care nothing for the cause) also joined when they saw that there was a riot.

i guess we just have to wait for all the details to come out but im sure we will never know the complete truth, some people will cover up certain truths, others will just make up lies, it was funny i was watching the news this morning and one of the coppers was on the phone saying there was hardly any violance, no one has been hospitalised and then breaking news came in about 8 people being hospitalised and ambulances rushing in
Reply 14
Original post by jus2sik
hmm i dont know, sounds truthful but i have to disregard your daily mail link because im very biased about it

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14434318 << Here's a BBC link lol :smile:
Reply 15
Original post by sango
Well you never get this sort of problem in South London :smug:

no its just that they use a different word for riot down there, "friday night".
Original post by jus2sik
thats terrible, even more unemployed people

i wouldnt worry, from what i heard, jd were having some sort of super give away last night!
Reply 16
Original post by jus2sik
i guess we just have to wait for all the details to come out but im sure we will never know the complete truth, some people will cover up certain truths, others will just make up lies, it was funny i was watching the news this morning and one of the coppers was on the phone saying there was hardly any violance, no one has been hospitalised and then breaking news came in about 8 people being hospitalised and ambulances rushing in

Yeah i guess you're right we'll never know the complete truth. The media don't really know much is the picture that im getting.
Something to do over the weekend
Original post by jus2sik

It's very lucky that the Daily Mail has managed to track each rioter and can report on how much their houses cost. This will allow police to take strict and harsh action, perhaps the people caught can pay for the damages.
Reply 19
I think the shooting is just the last cause but there are many underlying issues in London, especially the rich-poor division.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending