The Student Room Group

Is getting a tutor worth it?

Am doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics next year and am considering getting a tutor.

Just wondered what you guys thought. I've always struggled with organisation and I think a tutor for a few hours a week would help me organise myself (going over homework and reiterating things) as well as getting One to One tuition to just generally help my understanding of topics.

Anyone got any success stories or advice etc.
(edited 12 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Ryan-Hetherington
Am doing Maths, Further Maths, Biology and Economics next year and am considering getting a tutor.

Just wondered what you guys thought. I've always struggled with organisation and I think a tutor for 2 hours a week would help me organise myself (going over homework and reiterating things) as well as getting One to One tuition to just generally help my understanding of topics.

I would say definitely go for it if you believe it's going to help you. You could try it for a week or two and if you think it is really helpful, continue with it. It really depends on the person whether a tutor is good for them or not.
Reply 2
If you've got the money, it certainly wont hurt your grade.
Reply 3
Probably. You'll be able to tell whether it's working out for you.

A few friends of mine had tutors for maths, and it worked out well for them.
Original post by rugbygreg
If you've got the money, it certainly wont hurt your grade.

I'm just wondering how much a tutor actually helps generally but yeah, I've got the money for it I guess...:s-smilie:
Thanks for your comments so far btw.
Reply 6
Try it, if you've got the cash. I could definitely have done with someone to poke me with my homework and coursework.
Reply 7
Majority of the time, it can do nothing but benefit you. I had a friend however, who got a tutor and still received a U :tongue:
Reply 8
Getting a tutor won't secure your grades. I'm a tutor myself; I find the most successful candidates are the ones who put the effort in, not the ones that just sit there. The tutor can only do so much- it's you who has to bust out the elbow grease.
It's good that you're looking for a tutor for organisation and reiteration rather than as something to fall back on and blame when things go pear shaped. Keep this attitude if you want to succeed!
Ive had a Biology Tutor for this last academic year, he works at one of the local FE colleges.

He really knew his stuff and my level of understanding increased dramatically over the year, and his help proved extremely valuable preparing for 3 Biology Exams in January. He practically got my grade up from an E grade to an A.

A lot of it was just going over stuff, but I believe its really worthwhile, especially if you have teachers like I did who didn't give a damn. He gave me extra worksheets to do and stuff.

I don't really know what the current rates for tutors are, but he Charged £20 for a little over an hour and if I wanted him for two nights a week it was £30. :smile:
Original post by planetconwy1
Ive had a Biology Tutor for this last academic year, he works at one of the local FE colleges.

He really knew his stuff and my level of understanding increased dramatically over the year, and his help proved extremely valuable preparing for 3 Biology Exams in January. He practically got my grade up from an E grade to an A.

A lot of it was just going over stuff, but I believe its really worthwhile, especially if you have teachers like I did who didn't give a damn. He gave me extra worksheets to do and stuff.

I don't really know what the current rates for tutors are, but he Charged £20 for a little over an hour and if I wanted him for two nights a week it was £30. :smile:

so £30 for 2 hours? or £30 per hour for 2 nights a week?
so £30 for 2 hours? or £30 per hour for 2 nights a week?

Yeah £30 for two hours :smile: Personally I think thats quite good, but then again I'm not an expert so I might have paid more than most people.
Dude, i had a tutor for Maths and Economics. I'll let you know on the 18th to see if it will be worth it or not :zomg:
Original post by Chicharito14
Dude, i had a tutor for Maths and Economics. I'll let you know on the 18th to see if it will be worth it or not :zomg:

Same Tutor?
I'm looking for something similar to that. I'd do like 90 mins Economics and 90 mins Maths a week or something. How much was it?
Reply 14
It depends what you need. When I did AS maths a tutor would have been very useful, as there was a lot I didn't understand and to some extent I was too embaressed to ask my teachers for the large amount of help I needed.

For some of the other subjects I did a tutor would not have helped, unless all they did was mark practice essay after practice essay.
I tried it and hated my tutor. We had less than an hour and a half together in total haha.

But you wont know till you have given it a test.
I had a tutor for English lit, and she showed me that my teachers were teaching at gcse standard, not A level. It was an eye opener because you tend to trust your teachers, and blame yourself if you do badly in exams! But maybe that was a special case. I felt confident going into my exam though, not sure how I did yet :biggrin:
Also, I had a Spanish tutor for AS level and got a high B, which is good considering I wanted to die in my Spanish class :smile:
Thanks for the comments guys. Mind telling me how much you all paid?
Same Tutor?
I'm looking for something similar to that. I'd do like 90 mins Economics and 90 mins Maths a week or something. How much was it?

Hi, no. I had a separate tutor for each subject. Maths tutor was £25 an hour. Economics tutor was £26 an hour, but then charged a couple of quid for travelling to my house. Ended up giving £30. Was ridiculous giving £60, then getting like £1/2 in change back lol.

I wouldnt recommend having 2 hours for each subject every week. Firstly cos it is expensive, secondly, concentration levels (for me anyway) dropped after 90 mins.

I would recommend doing 1-2 hours though in a build up to an exam, definately helps.

Just wondered what you guys thought. I've always struggled with organisation and I think a tutor for a few hours a week would help me organise myself (going over homework and reiterating things) as well as getting One to One tuition to just generally help my understanding of topics.

If you can afford it, and can find a decent tutor, definitely do it.

Quick Reply

Latest